I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call our dog "The Black-Eyed Demon". From hell.

I think all large lakes in Florida have alligators, we ate one last year and there are 2 that we know of this year. My sister-in-law, which everyone seems to think is my sister, maybe because I call her my sister... She bought a house to "flip" and it was nasty cleaning it today. And then &%$&!!Q#$, I cooked a ham in the Dutch oven, oops, went to check on things and somehow touched the lid with my bare hands, the skin stuck. Yum, human flesh now frying in the oven after dropping the ham back into the oven and closing the door.

Crazy day ahead tomorrow!

No. No. No!

It's all wrong! You're doing Christmas day all wrong!

stock-photo-5713526-angry-nerd-isolated-on-white.jpg

Merry Christmas all. I can only hope that your day was as good as mine. Great time with the family and great food. Now I am going to roll my bad self into a chair and hope the super band waist band on my drawers holds out the night :D

View attachment 168120

We wish you joy this Christmas day
We wish good times that forever stay
With Love of family and of friends,
A happy day-that never ends.
Merry Christmas to all of-you!
From the Dan D family crew

Nice family there Dan! You're a lucky man!
I hope this was not my best Xmas ever. It WILL be hard to top.
My kids are of the perfect magical age and Santa followed through with the ultimate plan.
I only drink whiskey at Xmas. I bought too much. Now, when should I stop?

Nice family there Dan! You're a lucky man!
I hope this was not my best Xmas ever. It WILL be hard to top.
My kids are of the perfect magical age and Santa followed through with the ultimate plan.
I only drink whiskey at Xmas. I bought too much. Now, when should I stop?

Thanks Ischiavo. It was nice having all the kids together.

Sounds like you and Mrs Ischiavio made some great memories for your family!

So, there was a time in my time here on HBT, that I had some creativeness in me. To be quite honest I liked the threads I started. I can't even imagine now starting one. It's like most things in my creative life. After awhile I lose interest. Not to say I've lost interest in HBT. Not at all. This place used to be my creative outlet. Before that it was Harley Davidsons, running, woodworking, and a few other things. A person needs something to occupy there off time. A hobby I guess. I no longer have much interest in anything. Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe my life is not as busy and stressful as it once was. It's not as fulfilling either, to be quite honest

Not to sure where life will lead next. I do know a big change is coming in the next few months. Can't say I'm excited about that. It is what it is and life will move on

My somewhat dark reflections this evening.

So, there was a time in my time here on HBT, that I had some creativeness in me. To be quite honest I liked the threads I started. I can't even imagine now starting one. It's like most things in my creative life. After awhile I lose interest. Not to say I've lost interest in HBT. Not at all. This place used to be my creative outlet. Before that it was Harley Davidsons, running, woodworking, and a few other things. A person needs something to occupy there off time. A hobby I guess. I no longer have much interest in anything. Maybe I'm just getting old. Maybe my life is not as busy and stressful as it once was. It's not as fulfilling either, to be quite honest

Not to sure where life will lead next. I do know a big change is coming in the next few months. Can't say I'm excited about that. It is what it is and life will move on

I think you are holding the next big change in your life :mug:

I kind of understand what you are saying though and I think at least in my life it is indeed age related. My mind thinks I am still 20 and my body yells whoa there buddy. It is kind of depressing to realize that many of the things I took for granted are things I cannot do so much anymore.

Couple that with a life that has been very active and always doing something and it is easy to see why they say getting old sucks. It is hard to give up doing the things I enjoy like logging and I refuse to give them up 100%. But I am going to have to change the path of my life to reflect a more relaxed lifestyle now I guess.

Been thinking I might go back to school. I always enjoyed learning and this might be as good a time as any I guess:mug:

I've had similar thoughts. There is a free brewing chemistry class coming up soon, it's posted here somewhere. Bunch of people from HBT have signed up. I was thinking about signing up as well. Might be to late, not sure. I'll have to find the thread and check. Would be kind of cool to take a class with people you know from this site.

I've had similar thoughts. There is a free brewing chemistry class coming up soon, it's posted here somewhere. Bunch of people from HBT have signed up. I was thinking about signing up as well. Might be to late, not sure. I'll have to find the thread and check. Would be kind of cool to take a class with people you know from this site.

You should be fine - there is no limit on enrollment. I'm just scared the chemistryisgoing to be more than I can handle. :eek:

Here's the link to the thread- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/free-online-beer-chemistry-course-439877/

You should be fine - there is no limit on enrollment. I'm just scared the chemistryisgoing to be more than I can handle. :eek:

Here's the link to the thread- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/free-online-beer-chemistry-course-439877/

I've been working through the organic chemistry sections of my chemistry book in preparation. Ugh. I worked through hydrocarbons and into the alcohols and phenols. If I really need to know this stuff in the online course, it's gonna be a *****.

Wow can I relate. I'm sort of stymied myself right now. There are a few things I could do, but I just don't feel like doing any of them. I'll probably do something constructive, like play video games.

Hope you feel better.

Thank you! So Mark, you in? I'm going to sign up as soon as I finish replying here. I figure I'll be lost on the first day but also know there are quite a few folks from this site who will help a fellow brewer. Might even be some sort of HBT study group. :mug: Wouldn't suprise me in the least.

I've been working through the organic chemistry sections of my chemistry book in preparation. Ugh. I worked through hydrocarbons and into the alcohols and phenols. If I really need to know this stuff in the online course, it's gonna be a *****.

Pappy, you're one of the most intelligent men I know. Please don't say it's going to be a *****.. :D:D:D

Wow can I relate. I'm sort of stymied myself right now. There are a few things I could do, but I just don't feel like doing any of them. I'll probably do something constructive, like play video games.

Hope you feel better.

Thanks LG.. I'm fine. I think it was probably the beers got me talking last night. I was at my son's house this past week. The BevMo in Marina CA has a lot of craft beers. I never realized there were so many craft breweries in San Diego area. We sampled a few, I was feeling a bit mellow. :mug:

LG, I think we all go through times where we aren't always ourselves. Blame it on the holidays man.. They're great and all but can also be a bit difficult for whatever reason.

Take care my friend! There is plenty to keep us both occupied in our lives. :mug::mug::mug:

The course intro

This course covers the process of brewing from grain to final bottle product and the chemical and biochemical process involved in each step. Students will be required to utilize previous knowledge in General and Organic chemistry to understand: analytical techniques in brewing, chemistry of the ingredients and products, and the molecules involved in the biochemical processes. During the course, students will also learn the similarities and differences between beer styles, home and commercial brewing processes, and analytical techniques. There is a great deal of Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry involved in the malting, mashing and fermentation process and understanding the chemistry behind the flavor, aroma, and color of beer. Students should have a basic knowledge of general and organic chemistry

Alas, it doesn't work with phones yet. They have a note of encouragement on their site saying something like "maybe someday, check back" My work computer doesn't have the right browser, hasn't had a browser upgrade in ages and there is nothing I can do about that. I have Google asking me to update my browser everytime I log into Gmail. Home computer for the moment.. isn't one unless I want to hang out at Starbucks or someplace like that.

I'll get in this class yet. Nothing more motivating than telling a person they can't do something.

Q. What do you do with a sick chemist?
A: If you can't helium, and you can't curium, then you might as well barium.

LRB! I was in your neck of the woods this past week. Sorry I didn't give you a call, holidays, family, you know.

Man you live in a good part of the state. So much craft brew it's amazing!

Time for me to make an exit out a here for the night. LRB, PP, and Stauffbier, someday I hope to have a beer, brew a beer with you guys.. That would be a pinacle for me.

:mug::mug::mug::mug:

That would be great. In the mean time, Let's get ready for the new year! I love this song, my favorite when the new year approaches. I like the way it ends. It makes me think of old girlfriends. Those strong, deep memories are killers... I'll bet you all have some of those. I'd love to chat with some of those great girls - I wonder how their lives turned out.

The following is a submission for your late nite, end of the year soundtrack. By the late Dan Fogelberg, who really did run into an old girlfriend on a Christmas eve in Peoria, at a convenience store at the intersection of N. Prospect and E. Frye, near the high school where his father really was "the leader of the band".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! So Mark, you in? I'm going to sign up as soon as I finish replying here. I figure I'll be lost on the first day but also know there are quite a few folks from this site who will help a fellow brewer. Might even be some sort of HBT study group. :mug: Wouldn't suprise me in the least.

Yes, I'm in (same screen name) and it wouldn't surprise me if that thread becomes a study group. The professor has signed up for HBT as well and has posted in that thread, so I'm kind of hoping he brings the course down to the level of his audience! :)

Yes, I'm in (same screen name) and it wouldn't surprise me if that thread becomes a study group. The professor has signed up for HBT as well and has posted in that thread, so I'm kind of hoping he brings the course down to the level of his audience! :)

Yeah I saw that, pretty cool!

That would be great. In the mean time, Let's get ready for the new year! I love this song, my favorite when the new year approaches. I like the way it ends. It makes me think of old girlfriends. Those strong, deep memories are killers... I'll bet you all have some of those. I'd love to chat with some of those great girls - I wonder how their lives turned out.

The following is a submission for your late nite, end of the year soundtrack. By the late Dan Fogelberg, who really did run into an old girlfriend on a Christmas eve in Peoria, at a convenience store at the intersection of N. Prospect and E. Frye, near the high school where his father really was "the leader of the band".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4VJZTq8vU

Great song PP! I've always liked that song but had no idea it was based on a true story or took place in Peoria. My dad was a farmboy but his parents moved the family to Peoria around the time he started high school. Both my grandparents lived their till they passed. My brother and his family live in Peoria now as does his wife's family. What a small world.

As far as old girlfriends, yeah it would be kind of interesting to see how their lives turned out.

I traveled with a vaudeville show that played briefly in Peoria. In show biz, they say "if it will play in Peoria it will play anywhere". I don't remember how the show was received in Peoria, but it was a bomb elsewhere.

Great song PP! I've always liked that song but had no idea it was based on a true story or took place in Peoria. My dad was a farmboy but his parents moved the family to Peoria around the time he started high school. Both my grandparents lived their till they passed. My brother and his family live in Peoria now as does his wife's family. What a small world.

As far as old girlfriends, yeah it would be kind of interesting to see how their lives turned out.

You know folks. I'm at my wits end most of the time. On one hand I'm an ahole. On another I'm a godly man. The two probably shouldn't intertwine. But they do. I'm just me and I'm nobody in particular. I do wish you and yours a very wonderful new year.

I hope all your days will be happy.

Got to hold the crying grand baby now. It's pretty cool

Back