I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lschiavo said:
Of course you do Thread Starter. You started something good. Don't get a big head now:D

I might have started the thread but it is all the great people who post here that makes this place something special.

Cheers!!

Dan said:
I looked for The Pristige on NetFlix and YouTube

Dang phone

Couldn't find the movie

It's soup weather around here. I made my version of Portuguese bean soup. Been simmering for around 20 hours. Beef stock, water, smoked pork necks, carrots celery, onion, bay leaves, red beans, cilantro, diced red potatoes and a can of deced tomatoes, and a can of crushed tomatoes. And smoked sausage. Man is it tasty!

I made a rosemary focaccia to go with it. Made the dough yesterday and left to rise in the fridge overnight. It's been awhile since I made bread, this wasn't one of my best but was not bad.

The pics don't do either of these justice. But man are they tasty!

image-945377117.jpg

image-1955639328.jpg

Looks fabulous Dan. I love soup.

Not soup but I made my best ever beans and rice the other day. The secret to success besides not burning the bottom of the pot was Chorizo. It added about $8 to the otherwise cheap meal but was well worth it. The sausage simmered for about an hour in the beans so it released just the perfect amount of heat. My kids would not eat the sausage but they loved the beans. I use jasmine rice. Usually 3 cup batches in the pressure cooker. 1-1/4 cup water per cup of rice 7 minutes at pressure then slow release. My kids eat rice like candy.

Hmm...it's definitely starting to be soup and rice & beans weather here in Massachusetts. We're supposed to get 1-2 inches of wet snow and sleet here on the coast overnight, and it is supposed to be below freezing for much of the rest of the week.

Hmm...it's definitely starting to be soup and rice & beans weather here in Massachusetts. We're supposed to get 1-2 inches of wet snow and sleet here on the coast overnight, and it is supposed to be below freezing for much of the rest of the week.

I love/hate this time of year. Good hot food, a hot woodstove. Frozen nosesicles. -20 degree mornings. Car won't start. Legs frozen to the floor after a bender at camp. Shoveling/plowing snow. Frozen beer. I can't put my arms down!

These are a few of my favorite/hated things.

I love/hate this time of year. Good hot food, a hot woodstove. Frozen nosesicles. -20 degree mornings. Car won't start. Legs frozen to the floor after a bender at camp. Shoveling/plowing snow. Frozen beer. I can't put my arms down!

These are a few of my favorite/hated things.

Crazy. It was in the mid 80's when I was mowing today. When I see pics of snow up north in the paper, it's always surreal to me that the country can have such different temps at the same time.

lschiavo said:
Looks fabulous Dan. I love soup. Not soup but I made my best ever beans and rice the other day. The secret to success besides not burning the bottom of the pot was Chorizo. It added about $8 to the otherwise cheap meal but was well worth it. The sausage simmered for about an hour in the beans so it released just the perfect amount of heat. My kids would not eat the sausage but they loved the beans. I use jasmine rice. Usually 3 cup batches in the pressure cooker. 1-1/4 cup water per cup of rice 7 minutes at pressure then slow release. My kids eat rice like candy.

Love red beans and rice but have to admit never made them from scratch, usually a box mix. Do you have the whole recipe?

Crazy. It was in the mid 80's when I was mowing today. When I see pics of snow up north in the paper, it's always surreal to me that the country can have such different temps at the same time.

I would be lost without a UP winter. Things slow down. It is relaxing. One of my favorite days is when I put my lawn mower away for the season. I think my ******* neighbors finally left for Florida. If you see them kick them both in the crotch for me. Thanks in advance:D

It's been soup weather, I always have stock in the freezer for general purposes and as soon as the weather starts cooling off, Soups on!
Rice and beans are year round, love beans, cheap full of protein and I just love them! Probably the German frugality in me.

Love red beans and rice but have to admit never made them from scratch, usually a box mix. Do you have the whole recipe?

I make them different every time. I do not like kidney beans (they look like beetles). I use northern or navy beans. "White beans and rice"

First, soak them overnight and rinse and pick out all the junk.

The last batch which was my best ever, I sweated some onion, garlic, carrot and celery (very finely minced) in olive oil in the stockpot. Add the soaked beans and cover with a few inches of water (you will likely need to add more water depending how long you cook them). I let them go about 4 hours. That gives a nice bean gravy if you keep adding water as needed and stir vigorously ocassionaly. I sliced the sausage 1/4-in thin and added it about an hour before I was planning to serve. Pepper is good and can probably be added at any time. I only add salt at the very end. The beans seem to be hard and mealy if you add salt too early. Good sausage (or any other flavorful meat) is the key.

Let me know when they are ready;)

I would be lost without a UP winter. Things slow down. It is relaxing. One of my favorite days is when I put my lawn mower away for the season. I think my ******* neighbors finally left for Florida. If you see them kick them both in the crotch for me. Thanks in advance:D

I'll tell them you said hi.

I like it when it cools down here, but I can't stand the cold weather. I like outdoor activities; I hate sitting around (makes me fat).

I hear you, though. I could use some relaxation. That is something I need more of.

lschiavo said:
I make them different every time. I do not like kidney beans (they look like beetles). I use northern or navy beans. "White beans and rice" First, soak them overnight and rinse and pick out all the junk. The last batch which was my best ever, I sweated some onion, garlic, carrot and celery (very finely minced) in olive oil in the stockpot. Add the soaked beans and cover with a few inches of water (you will likely need to add more water depending how long you cook them). I let them go about 4 hours. That gives a nice bean gravy if you keep adding water as needed and stir vigorously ocassionaly. I sliced the sausage 1/4-in thin and added it about an hour before I was planning to serve. Pepper is good and can probably be added at any time. I only add salt at the very end. The beans seem to be hard and mealy if you add salt too early. Good sausage (or any other flavorful meat) is the key. Let me know when they are ready;)

Thanks, Ischiavo! That sounds great. I'll give it a try soon.

Cheers Brother!

I make them different every time. I do not like kidney beans (they look like beetles). I use northern or navy beans. "White beans and rice"

First, soak them overnight and rinse and pick out all the junk.

The last batch which was my best ever, I sweated some onion, garlic, carrot and celery (very finely minced) in olive oil in the stockpot. Add the soaked beans and cover with a few inches of water (you will likely need to add more water depending how long you cook them). I let them go about 4 hours. That gives a nice bean gravy if you keep adding water as needed and stir vigorously ocassionaly. I sliced the sausage 1/4-in thin and added it about an hour before I was planning to serve. Pepper is good and can probably be added at any time. I only add salt at the very end. The beans seem to be hard and mealy if you add salt too early. Good sausage (or any other flavorful meat) is the key.

Let me know when they are ready;)

I do very similar, but never follow recipes, use them as a guide line only.
I prefer black beans and pintos, Hot peppers are a must for me!

I'll tell them you said hi.

I like it when it cools down here, but I can't stand the cold weather. I like outdoor activities; I hate sitting around (makes me fat).

I hear you, though. I could use some relaxation. That is something I need more of.

You can say "Hi" if you want. Just make sure they know the kick in the crotch is from me.

I usually lose weight in winter. Must be the shivering. I hate sitting around too. I have a million projects and some are best suited to winter.

Here are some parts for the 1 barrel upgrade. Come on up and relax and help me put it together;)

thumb2_img_20131208_160809_635-61584.jpg

I do very similar, but never follow recipes, use them as a guide line only.
I prefer black beans and pintos, Hot peppers are a must for me!

I am flattered. Especially if you are a chef as your handle suggests. I view recipes the same way. The art in cooking is adding your own twist. I will try black or pintos next batch (I love them both). I love the heat too but I have to add it to MY plate or the kids won't touch it.

You can't imagine how much I'd love to hang out with you and build your system. I'd really like that. Some day I'll be from from my chains!.

I hear ya man. Life isn't all beer and shiny stainless steel. I hope we can meet up someday. I think I am off to have visions of sugar-plums. Anyone have a recipe for those (or ever even had one).

I am flattered. Especially if you are a chef as your handle suggests. I view recipes the same way. The art in cooking is adding your own twist. I will try black or pintos next batch (I love them both). I love the heat too but I have to add it to MY plate or the kids won't touch it.

I hear ya man. Life isn't all beer and shiny stainless steel. I hope we can meet up someday. I think I am off to have visions of sugar-plums. Anyone have a recipe for those (or ever even had one).

No chef, actually a mechanic, I have always cooked, when I first got on the interwebs a friend suggested chefgreasmonkey which I still use but wanting to shorting it my dog at the time was named Rex, name he had when i adopted him and so Chefrex was born.

No chef, actually a mechanic, I have always cooked, when I first got on the interwebs a friend suggested chefgreasmonkey which I still use but wanting to shorting it my dog at the time was named Rex, name he had when i adopted him and so Chefrex was born.

Cool story. I am not a chef either (electrician). It seems mechanics are more creative. My handle is just my name.

I am really going to bed now. Work tomorrow. G'night all.

You can say "Hi" if you want. Just make sure they know the kick in the crotch is from me.

I usually lose weight in winter. Must be the shivering. I hate sitting around too. I have a million projects and some are best suited to winter...
I hear that. The outdoor projects, or anything that would require a lot of time in my shop, stop during the winter. A high of 10 isn't my idea of good working weather. The indoor projects ramp up. Baking, hand tooling leather, sometimes carving wood or soap stone. Sometimes doing things like changing light fixtures, mounting lamps, or shelves. I think I'll do some linoleum carving for stamp making this year. My mother wants some new stamps and it's a new hobby for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are a ship at sea sailing through the night. Do you head towards a ship Green/Green Red/Red, Red/Green, Green Red?

Hi Bobby, The platypus is a master of disguise (Perry of Phineas and Ferb for example). The only way to know for sure is a DNA test. IMO.

Tell hubby to hell with the power lines. He should find a way to harness the power in the magnetic field of the earth. I wish I was able to understand E-mag when I was in college:drunk:

Just for you, I. Schiavo, I will try to explain hubby's plans more since you are an electrician. Maybe it will make more sense to you. I also agree on DNA testing to prove whether or not it's a platypus.

And, by the way, I love soup! Soup and bread, soup and biscuits, soup and crackers... all homemade, yum!

Okay, what hubby wants to do is harvest energy from the electro-magnetic field. Which he believes is a by-product. The reason why he can not extract it straight from the earth's magnetic core is because he says it has to be centralized first. He believes that today's electric companies have the means to centralize it, in order for this by-product to be used efficiently. Unless these companies use their knowledge to come on board, the plan is a wash. Their knowledge would be essential to the project. So he wants to start on a small scale... show what can be done using just the magnetic field they are already creating, then later expand on the idea. To give you a point of reference as to where he is coming from, there is this guy in S. Florida that is rumored to have built an anti-gravity device to build a stone structure in honor of his beloved. Hubby believes it was a harnessed electro-magnetic field that he used. No other way he could have lifted those large boulders without standard equipment. I might be explaining this all wrong. This is what I think he is trying to explain to me when he goes on and on about it, then looks at me like I'm an idiot when I don't understand. :p

If you are a ship at sea sailing through the night. Do you head towards a ship Green/Green Red/Red, Red/Green, Green Red?

If you are going opposite directions, I think it is green/green port to port. I was 12 when my dad bought a cabin cruiser and we took a coast guard class. I actually passed and got certified. That was 30 years ago and I may not remember so well.

I just picked up our tree from the Lion's Club lot. It has little pine cones on top. It has been a long time since I found a tree with cones. It's too f'n cold to go out and trim it and put in the stand. I have to though, the kids and wifey are all stoked to decorate it.

I vote for Red Green.

I saw the pic and thought Yooper had posted!

If you are going opposite directions, I think it is green/green port to port. I was 12 when my dad bought a cabin cruiser and we took a coast guard class. I actually passed and got certified. That was 30 years ago and I may not remember so well.

I think you're partly correct, you approach port side to port side. Red/Red. Unless ships are different than airplanes, port is red and starboard is green. - PReStiGe. I think it's international

I just picked up our tree from the Lion's Club lot. It has little pine cones on top. It has been a long time since I found a tree with cones. It's too f'n cold to go out and trim it and put in the stand. I have to though, the kids and wifey are all stoked to decorate it.

You don't know how nice that sounds to me right now. Well done! Ischiavo!

Just for you, I. Schiavo, I will try to explain hubby's plans more since you are an electrician. Maybe it will make more sense to you. I also agree on DNA testing to prove whether or not it's a platypus.

And, by the way, I love soup! Soup and bread, soup and biscuits, soup and crackers... all homemade, yum!

Okay, what hubby wants to do is harvest energy from the electro-magnetic field. Which he believes is a by-product. The reason why he can not extract it straight from the earth's magnetic core is because he says it has to be centralized first. He believes that today's electric companies have the means to centralize it, in order for this by-product to be used efficiently. Unless these companies use their knowledge to come on board, the plan is a wash. Their knowledge would be essential to the project. So he wants to start on a small scale... show what can be done using just the magnetic field they are already creating, then later expand on the idea. To give you a point of reference as to where he is coming from, there is this guy in S. Florida that is rumored to have built an anti-gravity device to build a stone structure in honor of his beloved. Hubby believes it was a harnessed electro-magnetic field that he used. No other way he could have lifted those large boulders without standard equipment. I might be explaining this all wrong. This is what I think he is trying to explain to me when he goes on and on about it, then looks at me like I'm an idiot when I don't understand. :p

I think think this subject is fascinating but I'm way out of my league with this stuff and will probably sound foolish in this crowd where there seems to be a good number of engineers.

The earth's magnetic lines of flux are useful for an ordinary compass or even a sophisticated electronic Magentic Azimuth Detector but is there enough power in them to use as an energy feed? When your hubby talks about centralizing do you know what he means? Seems two places the flux lines would be centralized is at either of the geographical poles becacuse the lines of flux start converging together there which is the reason compasses aren't accurate after 75-80 degrees lattitude.

I think think this subject is fascinating but I'm way out of my league with this stuff and will probably sound foolish in this crowd where there seems to be a good number of engineers.

The earth's magnetic lines of flux are useful for an ordinary compass or even a sophisticated electronic Magentic Azimuth Detector but is there enough power in them to use as an energy feed? When your hubby talks about centralizing do you know what he means? Seems two places the flux lines would be centralized is at either of the geographical poles becacuse the flux lines start converging together there which is the reason compasses aren't accurate after 75-80 degrees lattitude.

Large iron ore deposit under Hudson Bay in Canada is magnetic north, not the north pole. That's why magnetic north is off.

The earth's magnetic field is weak. There's enough power (barely) to get a floating needle to turn. Not much you can do with that.

Any Ayn Rand fans here might remember that John Galt invented a device that harnessed power from the air - the static electricity that is present in all airborne particles.

Energy "harvesting" is a big deal these days. Solar, wind, kinetic (ocean waves) are the biggies.

I saw the pic and thought Yooper had posted!

I think you're partly correct, you approach port side to port side. Red/Red. Unless ships are different than airplanes, port is red and starboard is green. - PReStiGe. I think it's international

You don't know how nice that sounds to me right now. Well done! Ischiavo!

You are correct. Port is red. I'm okay with being 1/2 right. That is much better than my average with Wifey;)

The tree is in the house and it smells great.

Large iron ore deposit under Hudson Bay in Canada is magnetic north, not the north pole. That's why magnetic north is off..

Thanks Pappy, after I wrote about geographical poles something didn't sit right. I was thinking of true north which is different than magnetic north by a few degrees. But I thought the reason was the earth had been hit by a very large meteor which tilted the the axis or something like that. I have no idea where I got that from. :eek:

The earth's magnetic field is weak. There's enough power (barely) to get a floating needle to turn. Not much you can do with that. Any Ayn Rand fans here might remember that John Galt invented a device that harnessed power from the air - the static electricity that is present in all airborne particles.

Thanks for my next reading endeavor! Static electricity, thousands of volts but little amperage. If there was a way to harvest it continuosly couldn't it act sort of like a generator, the voltage be filtered through a diode network and stored in a battery?

Energy "harvesting" is a big deal these days. Solar, wind, kinetic (ocean waves) are the biggies.

That's exciting stuff there Pappy!

The earth's magnetic lines of flux are useful for an ordinary compass or even a sophisticated electronic Magentic Azimuth Detector but is there enough power in them to use as an energy feed? When your hubby talks about centralizing do you know what he means? Seems two places the flux lines would be centralized is at either of the geographical poles becacuse the lines of flux start converging together there which is the reason compasses aren't accurate after 75-80 degrees lattitude.

Sorry BL. I totally missed and can't even seem to find your post that Dan quoted.

I watched a documentary about the coral dude in Florida. Fascinating! I wish I could help more with the plans but I would have to do some studying before I could even make an intelligent comment. Dan, I only quoted you because I couldn't find BL's post. You make some good points though I guess.

An experiment was performed back when the shuttle was flying to produce electricity from the Earth's magnetic field by stringing a 20 km tether between it and a satellite. Same idea as moving a wire coil in a generator, the only differences being that the Earth's magnetic field is much weaker and the shuttle moved a lot faster with more momentum.

BobbiLynn - your hubby could do this, but he'd have to skip rope with the cord pretty darned quick to get any power out of it.

The concept could also be reversed - a current run through the tether could apply a force on the tether and move the shuttle (in theory). That is like reversing a generator and making it into a motor.

EDIT: Here's a link:

http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wtether.html

Back