I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, it isn't an appropriate analogy. One that is closer would be installing a pipe that bypasses your water meter. Inducing off the line is still tapping the artificial energy source, just as much so as being hooked to it through a hard line.

It may interest you to know that it is illegal to collect rain water in many places. The argument is that the water rights and the property rights are separate and you as the land owner do not have the right to stop the water from flowing naturally into the aquifer. You also can't dam rivers running over your property.

LG, thank you for helping me look at this a different way. I wrote and rewrote and deleted 4-5 paragraphs of text replying to you. But this is not the place.

I realize my comments are why you commented and I respect, totally respect your point of view. Let's talk brewing or other non-debatable topics! Cheers LG! :mug:

Cheers Dan!

Sorry I wasn't responding. When I start getting tired and punchy I tend to lose ambition to type, so I just start "liking" everything. I was really tired last night.

Happy Friday brother and to everyone else out there, as well!

Hey bro, no need to apologize to me. I do the same thing.

Happy Friday to you as well my friend. :mug:

Tonight I want to celebrate with you, drinking is okay but not necessary.

When I was 15 or 16 I saw a movie about British POWs whose only mission was to get an up and coming Nuclear Scientist out of Germany and on our side.

They got him out. The POWs built a glider out of what they had on hand and catapulted towards the Swiss border; off a roof's steeple. Oatmeal worked really well for them as a bonding, strenthening agent for the cotton covered wings and fuselage. It was wonderfulyl strong, flexible and tough! Readily availible in them

It's taken me over 25 years to find this movie again.. Now I share the link with you.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
LG, thank you for helping me look at this a different way. I wrote and rewrote and deleted 4-5 paragraphs of text replying to you. But this is not the place.

I realize my comments are why you commented and I respect, totally respect your point of view. Let's talk brewing or other non-debatable topics! Cheers LG! :mug:
Ok. If you want to PM about the issue, feel free. I don't really feel the need to argue the point in any event. That's just me opinion.

Hmm, no brewing going on ATM unfortunately. To much else to do. Setting up my guest room for my Sister's visit from Germany in January, and finishing Christmas stuff up.

I'm always relieved when Christmas stuff is done. It's always so much work to get things all setup for it.

Hear you there. Christmas is the best time of the year, ton of work to do getting it ready.. Cheers LG. :)

I didn't mean to cause a big difference of opinion LG and Dan. I think hubby is going to proceed with his plans to "steal" electricity but he, perhaps, naively, thinks that the "powers that be", no pun intended, will be enlightened by his plan and see that he only plans to utilize 'extra' wasted power, and also, at the same time, stop the extra electronic flows that go to our native plants and animals. He thinks he understands how the magnetic properties of the power lines affect native growth. Hubby wants to balance nature with the vibes that the city is putting out, through their man-made devices. He could very well be off his rocker... I started planning a trip for myself but now my son wants to go too, and my daughter found out and wants to go also. I sold a bunch of my artwork at wholesale prices because I really don't have a proper way to store paper art.

Keep us posted how this turn out. I'm really interested. Seems he is recycling wasted power

My wife just sent a pic of our new backyard guest. They cut down in the Mosquitos. Yay!

image-1323675579.jpg

One more week of classes, wrapping up some last bits of grading. It's been a bruiser of a semester. Had to attend a USCG training today (yeah, on a weekend) to boot. Looking forward to the holidays.

My first English IPA batch is "done" (3 months in the bottle), super malty and hoppy AND overcarbonated. I might tuck that away and see if a a few more months can mellow it out some. I did two more English IPA batches since - one has been bottled for three weeks, the other one has been in secondary for a while. I'll probably bottle that next week. The second batch is *really* dry, rather surprising as it was a partial mash. I mashed the grains nice and low but used 6 lbs of Maris Otter LME, so I am surprised it is so dry. The yeast must have been on their game. I also cut down the priming sugar and it is a bit too flat. It's English IPA and supposed to be low carbonated, but I think I erred a little too low. I think the longer secondary is knocking out some CO2 that the calculators assume is still in the beer, so I need to tweak up the priming sugar a bit. Maybe with some more time the carbonation will rise a bit more, but it has been 3 weeks at 75F so I think that is about all I will get.

I didn't mean to cause a big difference of opinion LG and Dan. I think hubby is going to proceed with his plans to "steal" electricity but he, perhaps, naively, thinks that the "powers that be", no pun intended, will be enlightened by his plan and see that he only plans to utilize 'extra' wasted power, and also, at the same time, stop the extra electronic flows that go to our native plants and animals. He thinks he understands how the magnetic properties of the power lines affect native growth. Hubby wants to balance nature with the vibes that the city is putting out, through their man-made devices. He could very well be off his rocker... I started planning a trip for myself but now my son wants to go too, and my daughter found out and wants to go also. I sold a bunch of my artwork at wholesale prices because I really don't have a proper way to store paper art.

Hi Bobby, The platypus is a master of disguise (Perry of Phineas and Ferb for example). The only way to know for sure is a DNA test. IMO.

Tell hubby to hell with the power lines. He should find a way to harness the power in the magnetic field of the earth. I wish I was able to understand E-mag when I was in college:drunk:

Stauff, I requested pfeffernusse for my christmas cookie this year. My wife is the baker. She is gathering ingredients:ban:

It seems they have much more spice but are they anything similar to russian teacakes? Those are one of my favorites. I like them because they are not overly sweet.

He'd have to wind around the transmission line. That could be dangerous.

It's not wasted energy. He'd be inductively coupling to the transmission line, same as the secondary winding in a transformer. When he pulled power from his winding, it would look like a load to the transmission line: it would be no different than connecting directly to it in that respect. So, it's not like you are harnessing unused energy from stray magnetic fields. For that reason, it's probably illegal.

And, regarding the magnetic field, it drops off drastically with distance. Next time you are messing with a magnet, notice how ineffective it is until it is very close to iron. So, plants and animals on the ground are wholly unaffected by the magnetic fields from power transmission lines.

He'd have to wind around the transmission line. That could be dangerous.

It's not wasted energy. He'd be inductively coupling to the transmission line, same as the secondary winding in a transformer. When he pulled power from his winding, it would look like a load to the transmission line: it would be no different than connecting directly to it in that respect. So, it's not like you are harnessing unused energy from stray magnetic fields. For that reason, it's probably illegal.

And, regarding the magnetic field, it drops off drastically with distance. Next time you are messing with a magnet, notice how ineffective it is until it is very close to iron. So, plants and animals on the ground are wholly unaffected by the magnetic fields from power transmission lines.

Plain old fluorescents will light up if placed near power lines. These are not plugged in:

picture_1.jpg

...It's not wasted energy. He'd be inductively coupling to the transmission line, same as the secondary winding in a transformer. When he pulled power from his winding, it would look like a load to the transmission line: it would be no different than connecting directly to it in that respect. So, it's not like you are harnessing unused energy from stray magnetic fields. For that reason, it's probably illegal...
I believe that is the crux of the matter.
Plain old fluorescents will light up if placed near power lines. These are not plugged in:

picture_1.jpg
That is an awesome photo. :)

That's really cool. My point earlier is that the power company would detect the power required to light those florescents. I think... I'm not sure what's going on with those lights.

The bulbs are normal to the electric field lines around the power transmission lines, so there is a voltage difference between the ends of the bulbs which causes the fluorescence. I bring a short fluorescent bulb on hikes and wave it around under power lines. Kinda fun to have a bulb light up just holding it in your hand.

You're right - there is still power being drawn via the electric field, just as if you tapped a cable into a line somewhere. Pretty sure the power company won't be happy about it if they found out.

The bulbs are normal to the electric field lines around the power transmission lines, so there is a voltage difference between the ends of the bulbs which causes the fluorescence. I bring a short fluorescent bulb on hikes and wave it around under power lines. Kinda fun to have a bulb light up just holding it in your hand.

You're right - there is still power being drawn via the electric field, just as if you tapped a cable into a line somewhere. Pretty sure the power company won't be happy about it if they found out.

There has to be current, so I think one end of the bulb needs to be stuck into the ground. I'm not really certain how to make that work though. I need to try this myself.

There has to be current, so I think one end of the bulb needs to be stuck into the ground. I'm not really certain how to make that work though. I need to try this myself.

The power company would probably write it off as transmission losses. The mag field is already there and is what is lighting the lamps. I am guessing it is free/wasted power. I played a lot under power lines as a kid though so I'm probably mildly tarded.

The power company would probably write it off as transmission losses. The mag field is already there and is what is lighting the lamps. I am guessing it is free/wasted power. I played a lot under power lines as a kid though so I'm probably mildly tarded.

I agree, they don't care about the lost power, but they will take action if they see any kind of connection to the line.

It's really not "free" power. It's a draw, just like if you hitched up a power cable and plugged in a lamp, just a different means of transmission. If you did enough of this the power draw would become noticeable to the grid. A few dozen fluorescent bulbs probably won't register relative to the hundreds of MW being transmitted.

It's really not "free" power. It's a draw, just like if you hitched up a power cable and plugged in a lamp, just a different means of transmission. If you did enough of this the power draw would become noticeable to the grid. A few dozen fluorescent bulbs probably won't register relative to the hundreds of MW being transmitted.

I can agree with that. Standard transformers are magnetically coupled. You could probably steal a few amps with a cleverly disguised device under some major transmission lines though without anyone noticing. Except your device would be on the power company's right of way.

Stauff, I requested pfeffernusse for my christmas cookie this year. My wife is the baker. She is gathering ingredients:ban:

It seems they have much more spice but are they anything similar to russian teacakes? Those are one of my favorites. I like them because they are not overly sweet.

I've never had a Russian teacake. Pfeffernusse do indeed have a lot of spices in them, and they are actually quite sweet. The sweetness is well balanced by the spice, though.

I've never had a Russian teacake. Pfeffernusse do indeed have a lot of spices in them, and they are actually quite sweet. The sweetness is well balanced by the spice, though.

It has been a long time since I had Pfeffernusse. I'm looking forward to it. You should whip up a batch of Russian teacakes. They have a good amount of walnuts in the dough. Very good!

Regarding the discussion on electricity... Ironically I saw this on facebook yesterday;
http://worldtruth.tv/german-student...-that-gathers-free-electricity-from-thin-air/

Can you imagine how wireless power transmission would change the world? I would be unemployed. I think Tesla knew how but kept it secret or died before he was finished...

Can you imagine how wireless power transmission would change the world? I would be unemployed. I think Tesla knew how but kept it secret or died before he was finished...[/QUOTE]

Tesla had imagined power stations spaced thru out the city/country the main trouble he had was explaining HOW the power consumption could be billed as everyone's use varies.

Also, back then they had yet to explore the affects of electromagnetic radiation has on the human body during development.

This one?

70047095.jpg

The description on netflix seems a bit off from what you describe.

Yes. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but in the end you're dealing with a machine originally designed by Tesla that can move things wirelessly through the air. Take a chance, give me 2 hours, and watch it. I'll help you out... give me a minute...

Yes. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but in the end you're dealing with a machine originally designed by Tesla that can move things wirelessly through the air. Take a chance, give me 2 hours, and watch it. I'll help you out... give me a minute...

Oh, I should mention it's one of those that leaves you thinking. Be prepared for that.

Back