I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice labels LG! Very cool gifts! I can personally say from experience that I'm sure the recipients will really enjoy them!

Dan that chowder sounds very tasty! I'll have to give that a try some time!

It's pretty lame that the "What are you drinking now" thread got closed!

Did a test run on my new cider press with homegrown apples I had in the freezer. I ended up with about 2.5 gallons of very tasty 1.057 gravity apple cider. I'm going to ferment a gallon and drink the rest fresh.

That sure is a cool looking press! Man I need a garage again. How many apples/lbs does it take to get 2.5 gallons of cider?

Nice to see that press in use. Did you just drill a hole in the bottom of the pan?

It was an exceptionally good batch of cider, even if I did blow some corks with it early on.

That sure is a cool looking press! Man I need a garage again. How many apples/lbs does it take to get 2.5 gallons of cider?

I did indeed drill holes. 4 @ 5/16 to be exact. The holes are drilled right on the curve where it goes from the wall to the base of the pan. I then just tilt the press with a shim on the back end. I'm going to drill 4 more to speed up drainage.

Dan, Thanks! I'm not actually sure how many pounds it was. I really should have weighed them. I can say that it was three 2.5 gallon zip lock backs totally stuffed with peeled/cored/sliced apples. Maybe 100 apples give or take.

Next year I wont be processing or freezing the apples. They will be crushed and pressed fresh.

That is a nice press. How long did it take to press all the apples with that beast?

I've been working on a new recipe for this year's Christmas cookies - a Citra orange melt away. Basically a light, crisp butter cookie with orange peel and Citra (steeped with some of the butter and infused in he powdered sugar). First test batch was pretty good but I have another batch to bake tomorrow where I let the Citra infuse in the powdered sugar longer to give the cookie more of that aroma and flavor.

image.jpg

Driving to work toniight I watched some Navy jets land. The road from the mainside of the base to the operations side is about 5 miles long. The last few miles the runway runs parallel the road, 2-300 meters away. The road is dead straight. You could fall asleep at the wheel for five minutes if you were pointed in the right direction and your car had a good alignment.

There were three jets doing FCLPs, (Field Carrier Landing Practice). Navy jets are landed a bit differently than Airforce Jets. A Naval Aviator has to land his/her jet on a a very short peice of runway. If you ever watch an Airforce jet land you will note the main landing gear touches down first and the plane will do a wheelie for a while, nose in the air, this bleeds off airspeed. Navy pilots don't do that, they land pretty much in a horizontal position to the runway and all the landing gear hits about the same time. It is essential because they are landing on a very short runway and a tailhook must hook a wire to stop them from going into the ocean. There is no leeway. They have to land within a few hundred feet of deck, each time, everytime or they boulter; when they bolter it's full throttle, afterburnes if they have them. They pull up fly around and try again. Very tough to do this sometimes. I have GREAT GREAT respect for these guys. They make it look simple, but it is not. It was explaiend to me when I was young as a controlled crash.. That's not a bad way to look at it. These Naval Aviators land a plane, exactly with in a hundred or two feet, somewhere around 150-160 miles per hour on a often times unsteady deck in rain and storms.

Truly I salute Naval Aviators. Believe me, I'm not one but I have met many. They are a part of the why behind why our country is so amazing.

Adding a video, a retired Naval Aviator talking about what it takes to fly off an aircraft carrier. The aircraft carrier is the USS Midway by the way and an A-7 Corsair aircraft is in the background. All three are retired now.

[ame]http://youtu.be/7mgW7tDrqOc[/ame]

Mark those cookies sound and look delicious! I'm getting ready to start my German baking for the holidays soon. I'll be making Lebkuchen, pfeffernusse, linzertorte, stollen, hazelnut merengue, and if I'm still feeling ambitious enough I'll make a batch of baklava.

Pressing the apples took about 40 minutes more or less. I think I'll be much quicker now that I've worked out most of the bugs with the process.

Mark those cookies sound and look delicious! I'm getting ready to start my German baking for the holidays soon. I'll be making Lebkuchen, pfeffernusse, linzertorte, stollen, hazelnut merengue, and if I'm still feeling ambitious enough I'll make a batch of baklava.

Pressing the apples took about 40 minutes more or less. I think I'll be much quicker now that I've worked out most of the bugs with the process.

Mike, I have to admit I don't know the other bakings, but Baklava! Pure delciousness! :mug:

I love pfeffernuse! Lebkuchen and stollen are good ones as well (and who says no to baklava!)

You going to use the apple solids somehow? I'd think being dried out they would work with an oatmeal cookie, or perhaps a bread?

The baklava is the one thing I make that isn't German. It is indeed very good stuff! All the other stuff is very common as holiday treats in Germany. There are quite a few others that I don't make. I just don't have time, so I make the families favorites.

You going to use the apple solids somehow? I'd think being dried out they would work with an oatmeal cookie, or perhaps a bread?

Probably not. I will likely just end up composting it. My process will be with stems, seeds, and peels in tact, so it wouldn't be very appealing to eat. I will be saving some apples aside for baking and eating, though.

I'm not heavily into sweets but German cookies speak to me,pfeffernusse
are a favorite.;)

Take Off Trim. If I remember correctly, the throttle was set, take off trim button pushed. The horizontal rudders were towed in, stabilators pushed down and I'm not sure but I think the flaps were lowered. The pilot put his hands on the handrest and the airplane was catapulted into the sky. This was called a no hands takeoff Once the airplane started a steady rate of ascent the pilot took over.

When we transistioned to FA-18s, (1988) my Skipper tried to do a cat shot on his own. The jet dropped below the flight deck because he tried to fly it off the cat. The plane recovered, it flew a few feet above the water until eventually climbed out. He admitted his mistake later. Respect he won from me.

Here's a Rhino, an FA-18 Super Hornet.. You can tell the difference between the legacy Hornets and super because of the intakes. Supers intake's are rectangular.

[ame]http://youtu.be/_g2lNT56xnI[/ame]

Take Off Trim. If I remember correctly, the throttle was set, take off trim button pushed. The horizontal rudders were towed in, stabilators pushed down and I'm not sure but I think the flaps were lowered. The pilot put his hands on the handrest and the airplane was catapulted into the sky. This was called a no hands takeoff Once the airplane started a steady rate of ascent the pilot took over.

When we transistioned to FA-18s, (1988) my Skipper tried to do a cat shot on his own. The jet dropped below the flight deck because he tried to fly it off the cat. The plane recovered, it flew a few feet above the water until eventually climbed out. He admitted his mistake later. Respect he won from me.

Here's a Rhino, an FA-18 Super Hornet.. You can tell the difference between the legacy Hornets and super because of the intakes. Supers intake's are rectangular.

http://youtu.be/_g2lNT56xnI
Hmm, makes me want to watch Top Gun again. :) Carriers still use the steam powered catapults right? That's what the cloud trail is from on launch isn't it?

The newest one (launched last week IIRC) uses a magnetic launch as one of the newer technologies.

They are replacing them with the Electromagnetic Aircraft Launch System.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_Aircraft_Launch_System

Yup, steam piston power. But the newest US carrier will essentially use a magnetic rail gun instead of a steam powered cat...

Cheers!
Cool, aircraft launched by rail gun.

Hmm, makes me want to watch Top Gun again. :) Carriers still use the steam powered catapults right? That's what the cloud trail is from on launch isn't it?

I can't say for sure, LG. Steam based catapults are what I'm aware of.. I have heard of electro magnetic cats. I don't know anything about them.

Every so often I get a bit sentimental about America... That's not true. I'm always sentimental about our USA.

Here is a clip, I've probably played it before and will play it again, and again.

John Wayne, "America, Why I Love Her"

[ame]http://youtu.be/AuteyiYN6js[/ame]

I wish I could kick this stomach bug. I've been out of it for several days now. Come on body, it's time to be done with this nonsense.

mcbaumannerb said:
That is a nice press. How long did it take to press all the apples with that beast?

I've been working on a new recipe for this year's Christmas cookies - a Citra orange melt away. Basically a light, crisp butter cookie with orange peel and Citra (steeped with some of the butter and infused in he powdered sugar). First test batch was pretty good but I have another batch to bake tomorrow where I let the Citra infuse in the powdered sugar longer to give the cookie more of that aroma and flavor.

Recipe? Please? Don't make a girl beg!

Forgive me. I'm on a roll.
Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae was a soldier, physician and poet. He had the option of joining the medical corps due to his training and age, but volunteered instead to join a fighting unit as a gunner and medical officer.

It was his second tour of duty in the Canadian military. He previously fought with a volunteer force in the Second Boer War. He considered himself a soldier first; his father was a military leader in Guelph and McCrae grew up believing in the duty of fighting for his country and empire.

McCrae fought in the second battle of Ypres in the Flanders region of Belgium where the German army launched one of the first chemical attacks in the history of war. They attacked the Canadian position with chlorine gas on April 22, 1915, but were unable to break through the Canadian line which held for over two weeks.

In a letter written to his mother, McCrae described the battle as a "nightmare"

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

If I'm not mistaking Big Bertha Guns were used as well. Fifty foot long barrells. 2000 pound profectiles 30 mile range. War! It sucks! I know I'm a bit late to post this for Veterans Day. I just don't know why a single day has to be assigned to that. You and me are sitting in our comfy home today because of the men and women who gave there lives for us. It's pretty straightforward.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You'll be back LG. No time to give up now.
I'm sorry, I don't understand these words in combination. I understand giving, but it doesn't make any sense when used with a direction rather then an object.

Hmm, to do another Dr Pepper experiment this weekend or try that new approach to banana wine. Ah, first world problems. :)

Ugghhh, another busy Monday at school topped by my night class. Spring registration started and the clearing system is broken, so all my advisees were climbing over me trying to get me to fix it (I can't do anything about it, registrar's issue). Did not have 2 uninteruppted minutes to myself from 8AM to 9PM.

Pan fried a cheap steak for dinner (vegetables are for rabbits that don't teach day and night classes), grabbed 2 bottles of chilled apfelwein from the shed (because one will not be sufficient). Yay Prep Day Tuesday tomorrow! (and Thanksgiving holiday next week!) A few more days and then it will be all downhill sledding until finals.

Ah, first world problems. :)

SWMBO often laments that she doesn't have time to cook all the things she would like for certain gatherings. "Drat, the rise time for the <insert-mind-blowing-baked-good-here> is too long, I'll just have to make the <atomic-chocolate-get-type-2-diabetes-just-looking-at-it> dessert instead".

I just respond by rolling my eyes and saying "Oh, the agony! How will we cope? Life is so ****ing unfair sometimes." Then I break out into fake sobs and reach for the Kleenex. Occaisionally she gets the joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You'll be back LG. No time to give up now.

I'm sorry, I don't understand these words in combination. I understand giving, but it doesn't make any sense when used with a direction rather then an object.

Haha.. Okay, I suppose you are correct. I was just trying to say get well soon.

Now I think I have that stomach virus. A guy I work with came to work sick the other day. We kicked him out right away and I started bragging how I haven't had the flu in decades. I should have kept my mouth closed. :D

Haha.. Okay, I suppose you are correct. I was just trying to say get well soon.

Now I think I have that stomach virus. A guy I work with came to work sick the other day. We kicked him out right away and I started bragging how I haven't had the flu in decades. I should have kept my mouth closed. :D

Uhm, that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger;)

I wish I could kick this stomach bug. I've been out of it for several days now. Come on body, it's time to be done with this nonsense.

Hope you're kicking it LG. The kids at school are getting all stressed out and are getting GI bugs left and right. It's a hoot when they all pile on our training ship in the winter and spread the contagion - the sanitary facilities get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

I am taking my zinc and washing my hands religiously. I'm considering splashing some goat blood on my office door so the black death will pass me by.

Hope you're kicking it LG. The kids at school are getting all stressed out and are getting GI bugs left and right. It's a hoot when they all pile on our training ship in the winter and spread the contagion - the sanitary facilities get overwhelmed pretty quickly.

I am taking my zinc and washing my hands religiously. I'm considering splashing some goat blood on my office door so the black death will pass me by.
Well, I haven't had occasion to count my bathroom floor tiles today. So that's good news. Still feel like garbage, but I'll deal. I took a half day off from work the last couple of days. I can't do that anymore, so I hope I'm ok tomorrow.

I made orange cookies anyway. I don't want them, but my Mother does. They are ok. Not enough orange flavor.

Back