I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup yup. This is the first food I've had where I didn't want to take a drink of my HB hard apple cider. The flavor is so good I'd like to to linger. :)

Wow! First time having lobster? Well, I guess they are hard to come by in Colorado. Love me some lobster. Before I die I'd like to have one night of eating my fill. Like all you can eat style. As a matter of fact that might even be what kills me.

Wow! First time having lobster? Well, I guess they are hard to come by in Colorado. Love me some lobster. Before I die I'd like to have one night of eating my fill. Like all you can eat style. As a matter of fact that might even be what kills me.
As a child I lived in Washington state. My mother is allergic to fish, and really allergic to shell fish. So, I didn't have my first taste of any shellfish until I was 17.

Another weekend, more craziness. Who wants to hear how I got my son here after he missed his greyhound bus? He's coming during a college break to help me with crops so I can make some money, so we didn't have money to spend on him getting here. He'll be staying about a month, he did the same thing this time last year to help with fall crops. Anyway, he missed his bus and said his ticket was non-transferable, ya-da, ya-da. I told him just get on the next bus. They don't look that close at tickets, create a distraction, whatever, just get on the bus!!! Anyway, so I am at the bus station and the bus heading toward him is leaving, so I get on it by mingling with a family and helping them with their carry-on stuff. So then I get to Gainesville, and both Michael and I are stuck there with no ticket back. No fear!! I just asked the next bus driver, the last trip of the day back home, left at 9 PM, arrived 11 PM.... could we please get on the bus without our tickets if there was room. On an aside, I had found out ahead of time that there were 13 extra seats on that bus and also plenty of empties on the one I stowed away on. I told her I was so sorry, but we didn't have our tickets, long story. She let us right on the bus.

So my son is here to visit. ;-)

Were they live or frozen? It's always nice to play with your food before you stab it in the head and boil it.
Frozen. Still yummy though.

Another weekend, more craziness. Who wants to hear how I got my son here after he missed his greyhound bus? He's coming during a college break to help me with crops so I can make some money, so we didn't have money to spend on him getting here. He'll be staying about a month, he did the same thing this time last year to help with fall crops. Anyway, he missed his bus and said his ticket was non-transferable, ya-da, ya-da. I told him just get on the next bus. They don't look that close at tickets, create a distraction, whatever, just get on the bus!!! Anyway, so I am at the bus station and the bus heading toward him is leaving, so I get on it by mingling with a family and helping them with their carry-on stuff. So then I get to Gainesville, and both Michael and I are stuck there with no ticket back. No fear!! I just asked the next bus driver, the last trip of the day back home, left at 9 PM, arrived 11 PM.... could we please get on the bus without our tickets if there was room. On an aside, I had found out ahead of time that there were 13 extra seats on that bus and also plenty of empties on the one I stowed away on. I told her I was so sorry, but we didn't have our tickets, long story. She let us right on the bus.

BL, I rarely know what to say. May the best possible outcome for you manifest in good time. :)

EDIT: I truly believe you will see the next year alter your situation in beautiful ways you can barely imagine.

Leadgolem said:
I got some whole lobster buy one get two free a while ago. I've never had lobster. It's fantastic!

Oh, lobster is good!

BobbiLynn said:

Good work, Bobbii! Next time, you should scam a ride up my way! I won't even make you work for room and board! Hell, I'll just follow you around to see what's what and have some fun :)

I rarely know what to say.

When we got back here, my son said something like that, he said, "Well, I don't know what to say."

I would not have gone though all that trouble normally, but I had set the entire day aside to spend with him, no distractions whatsoever. It was sort of by accident that I made my way onto the bus to him, I realized no one would notice if I got back off the bus after helping with the bags. So I just sat down in an empty spot and tried to blend, LOL. See, my son thinks he can go travel the country with no money, but really, he has a lot to learn first. :cross:

I built a cider press today. I'm really looking forward to next years harvest now! It's going to take my hard cider to stellar levels!

Very nice! My buddy bought one to make apple wine this year. He probably spent too much and it is no where near as good as we could have built if he had just called me up and said "hey let's build an an apple press"...Don't eat too much plywood though I hear it's bad fer ya;)

I got some whole lobster buy one get two free a while ago. I've never had lobster. It's fantastic!

That is a great deal unless you paid more for one than you would have for three. My daughter is working her way through college at Red Lobster so I am therefore an expert. Crab is better.

When we got back here, my son said something like that, he said, "Well, I don't know what to say."

I would not have gone though all that trouble normally, but I had set the entire day aside to spend with him, no distractions whatsoever. It was sort of by accident that I made my way onto the bus to him, I realized no one would notice if I got back off the bus after helping with the bags. So I just sat down in an empty spot and tried to blend, LOL. See, my son thinks he can go travel the country with no money, but really, he has a lot to learn first. :cross:

BL, you are a piece of work and I mean that in the nicest way. I would try your trick but there hasn't been a bus stop in this town for at least 20 years. Isn't that weird?

I can't translate your bus journey BL ...sorry to say. However I would like to know what break he is on since the thanksgiving break, anywhere from three day to a week, isn't for a couple weeks and the semester break isn't for another month or so.

I can't translate your bus journey BL ...sorry to say. However I would like to know what break he is on since the thanksgiving break, anywhere from three day to a week, isn't for a couple weeks and the semester break isn't for another month or so.

Mr. Smartypants, It's deer season my kids get a day off next Friday.

So school is out and the kids get a day off to go kill stuff?

Only if you're gonna eat it. But YES there has always been a day off from school here for opening day of deer season. The whole UP practically shuts down. Only the important people go to work like the lady that sells me beer.

Well, g'night all. I had a productive day I think. At least I cleared a spot in the basement to stow our 20 gallons of apple wine going into secondary tomorrow. We will rack our pilsner porter as well. Then hopefully sight in the rifles and get a bit more firewood.

Nice. I just cellared my Merlot (all except 6 bottles which I think will be gifted in some way during the holidays). My apfelwein is still in the shed. I should move it before we get a hard freeze, but it's nice to walk out and grab a bottle ready-chilled. I have a carboy full of apfelwein in the shed that should be clarifying nicely in these cool temps. I'm not sure as to how I am going to bottle it - I don't have enough wine bottles or beer bottles to bottle it carbed. Maybe a 50/50 split, but then I don't have enough beer bottles for my beer. I think my apfelwein carboy is just going to hang tight in the cellar until next spring.

The last four Doolittle Raiders raised their last toast to their fallen comrades today. The idea was that they would wait until the last two survivors to have this toast, but they realized that it was possible that they might all pass before it was possible. Brave men, all of them.

In 1942 America was on the ropes in the fight both in Europe and in the Pacific. Many people forget this - they think our victory in WWII was a foregone conclusion. It was not. The Doolittle Raiders pushed us off the ropes and landed a punch that said we were not down and out. There was a lot of hard and bloody fighting ahead, but the Raiders told the world that it would be a fight and not a rout.

I'm an odd ball in that, while still in my 30's, my father (not grandfather) served in WWII. The sense of duty and sacrifice in that generation staggers me and makes me humble. We as a nation have become rather petty, more willing to seek out and pick at our differences than to fight and sacrifice for the common good. I guess that is a sign that the previous generations were successful in making a peaceful and prosperous world for us - and we consequently forgot the cost of that peace and prosperity. I almost wish that there were some crisis that could bring us together and remind us of the ideals of nation and teamwork.

...That is a great deal unless you paid more for one than you would have for three. My daughter is working her way through college at Red Lobster so I am therefore an expert. Crab is better.

BL, you are a piece of work and I mean that in the nicest way. I would try your trick but there hasn't been a bus stop in this town for at least 20 years. Isn't that weird?
Well, normal price is 12-15 a piece. I got 3 for 15, so 5 a piece. It was probably more the season then anything else, but it still tastes good.

I've had crab more them lobster. I think lobster has a richer flavor, but not by much. I like crab a lot too. :)

Well, g'night all. I had a productive day I think. At least I cleared a spot in the basement to stow our 20 gallons of apple wine going into secondary tomorrow. We will rack our pilsner porter as well. Then hopefully sight in the rifles and get a bit more firewood.
Hmm, cider is good. Seasonal commercial apple cider or juice as a base?

Mr. Smartypants, It's deer season my kids get a day off next Friday.

No, my son skips semesters, he is not on a set curriculum. He attends his college courses when he is not busy with other obligations. And, same thing here, boys get extra days off for hunting season.:fro:

He realized he's not going to pass/get any credits this semester so, um, quit. For now. Same thing as last year. He says fall semester teachers are too gung-ho and he can't keep up that time of year. I'm his mom, so I say come here for now, go back there when there isn't so much pressure. My sweet boy isn't good under pressure.

He realized he's not going to pass this semester so, um, quit. For now. Same thing as last year. He says fall semester teachers are too gung-ho and he can't keep up that time of year. I'm his mom, so I say come here for now, go back there when there isn't so much pressure. My sweet boy isn't good under pressure.
Hmm, most people aren't. That kind of pressure just wants to make me hit people in the nuts. Oh, you think I can't figure that out? How about you try to decipher this paper I wrote on Sumerian mythology? Yeah, that's what I thought ****** nozzle...

Hmm, most people aren't. That kind of pressure just wants to make me hit people in the nuts. Oh, you think I can't figure that out? How about you try to decipher this paper I wrote on Sumerian mythology? Yeah, that's what I thought ****** nozzle...

That sounds like something my son would say and I tell him not to call his instructors things like ****** nozzle on his facebook page, they could be reading it. He doesn't care. My daughter is seriously in college, at least so far, she just started this year at the university after attending a gateway college following high school. She's acing everything and can pretty much take the classes she wants to take. My son is another story. He's been living in a college town and dropping into a few classes here and there, trying to get the prerequisites done. I tell him some people do well in a structured school setting and others are self taught. He is interested in writing/doing film, and so I asked him to do some research, how many great film artists and writers attended college? How many were mentored/self-taught? But first, I had him shoveling manure and hauling firewood since daylight. Now gonna make him a nice breakfast. Fresh eggs and bacon. :p

While I am going on and on, I should also mention that hubby has declared war on the possum. The ugly fellow(the possum, not hubby) is back and building a nest under the house, preparing to settle in for the winter. Hubby has conceded that the traps didn't work and that we need to force him out, then shoot him. I might just wait until the possum gets settled into his nest, then crawl under there with my .22 rifle, be done with it once and for all. Hubby says we have a major extermination effort on our hands, the possum must go.

TC, that link looked great but for some reason it wouldn't open for me

I'm visiting my youngest daughter this weekend up in Monterey. Carmel is a short drive away so we spent a few hours there today. A very beautiful place, sunny, cool air, buildings that looked like they are out of a fairy tale book, art galleries everywhere. Ridiculous prices for everything. Clint Eastwood was the mayor here for a number of years.

A shop of sorts called Secret Garden was playing music by a guy named Nawang Khechog, well it was a CD of his called Tibetan Meditation Music I'm listening to the CD now. Here's some of his kind of music. I hope the link works. Never sure when I post from a phone.

http://www.nawangkhechog.com/
http://www.rcarlosnakai.com/

The links work fine Dan. I don't know if you would appreciate my music, but I'm somewhat of a Buddhist in spirit if not in regular practice. I certainly appreciate the importance of the pursuit of peace and happiness in all our lives. If you are not my enemy you must be my friend, and I rejoice in your happiness.

Namaste.

Dan, my wife and I spent a glorious couple of weeks along the coast highway with a stay in Monterey. A beautiful spot - the aquarium experience is with me now. The combination of beautiful hills and the sea was just breath-taking. I hope to get out there again soon.

Thunder_Chicken said:
The links work fine Dan. I don't know if you would appreciate my music, but I'm somewhat of a Buddhist in spirit if not in regular practice. I certainly appreciate the importance of the pursuit of peace and happiness in all our lives. If you are not my enemy you must be my friend, and I rejoice in your happiness. Namaste.

Thunder_Chicken said:
The links work fine Dan. I don't know if you would appreciate my music, but I'm somewhat of a Buddhist in spirit if not in regular practice. I certainly appreciate the importance of the pursuit of peace and happiness in all our lives. If you are not my enemy you must be my friend, and I rejoice in your happiness. Namaste.

My daughter (she was raised very Catholic) made a comment today that Buddhist are the only religion that don't do a power play on the highest power, so to speak. I really don't know much about it but enough to know peace and serenity are a large part of Buddhism, not fire brimstone and fear. I might be wrong about that but not from where I'm standing. I lived in Japan a few years, the Buddhist temples were always very peaceful. Not a bAd way to live

Pappy, if I'm crossing into inappropriate topic please delete this post.

Thunder_Chicken said:
Dan, my wife and I spent a glorious couple of weeks along the coast highway with a stay in Monterey. A beautiful spot - the aquarium experience is with me now. The combination of beautiful hills and the sea was just breath-taking. I hope to get out there again soon.

Yes TC, this area is beautiful. When you make it out here again check out Big Sur and a few hours in Carmel. You will not be disappointed I promise you.

My daughter (she was raised very Catholic) made a comment today that Buddhist are the only religion that don't do a power play on the highest power, so to speak. I really don't know much about it but enough to know peace and serenity are a large part of Buddhism, not fire brimstone and fear. I might be wrong about that but not from where I'm standing. I lived in Japan a few years, the Buddhist temples were always very peaceful. Not a bAd way to live

Pappy, if I'm crossing into inappropriate topic please delete this post.

My dad lived in Japan for several years after WWII, during the Korean war, and embraced the peace of the Buddhist culture, after having been engaged in fighting Japan for most of his young life. My stepsister was Japanese, and my only regret was that she did not live long enough for me to know her. My dad loved her and me equally. He fought in Vietnam in the same spirit of non-hatred and tragedy of the situation.

I am not a particularly religious person but Buddhism seems to be flexible about culture as long as peace is along for the ride. Peace truly is not a bad way to live.

Thunder_Chicken said:
My dad lived in Japan for several years after WWII, during the Korean war, and embraced the peace of the Buddhist culture, after having been engaged in fighting Japan for most of his young life. My stepsister was Japanese, and my only regret was that she did not live long enough for me to know her. My dad loved her and me equally. He fought in Vietnam in the same spirit of non-hatred and tragedy of the situation. I am not a particularly religious person but Buddhism seems to be flexible about culture as long as peace is along for the ride. Peace truly is not a bad way to live.

Your dad sounds like a very good man. Love given unselfishly and unconditionally seems normal to me. But I know for a fact not everybody sees it like you and your folks do. I'd like to believe those people make up a small proportion of the world.

Your sis? If I'm not being to forward, may I ask what happened to her?

A "NO" is perfectly understandable, TC.

Dan said:
Your dad sounds like a very good man. Love given unselfishly and unconditionally seems normal to me. But I know for a fact not everybody sees it like you and your folks do. I'd like to believe those people make up a small proportion of the world. Your sis? If I'm not being to forward, may I ask what happened to her? A "NO" is perfectly understandable, TC.

By those people, I'm speaking of those who live conditionally. Not sure that cNe across in my previous post.

Back