I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning an epic Colorado trip for May as we speak. I lived in the Springs for 4 years while I was in the Army. I love going back and hope to live there one day again.

Navy. I met my ex on a port visit to Perth around, hmmm.. 1984, we married 4 years later at a church in Cottesloe (spelled wrong probably). Was good for 12 years but she was forever homesick. The marriage didn't work out.

Thats too bad mate, sounds like a lovely story. I hear you on homesickness, it can get to you big time.

I'm planning an epic Colorado trip for May as we speak. I lived in the Springs for 4 years while I was in the Army. I love going back and hope to live there one day again.

Well then you need to look me up. May is my birthday too so should be double fun. I was in the Australian Army for a stint but have a brewer friend who is in the reserve that we could all connect together with and have a beer.

I've been thinking of moving to Illinois

Don't do it. Summers are amazingly hot, muggy and full of mosquitoes. Winter is harshly cold. Spring is amazing after the winter, and fall is awesome. The first two put me off though.

But I do like Illinoian's. Bunch of rebels. It is still only one of the few states that don't have a motorcycle helmet law and they look after vets.

Man.
I put the laundry into the dryer, made my daughters lunch and got my coffee ready for tomorrow and I'm behind!

I'm near the Washington coast myself in Raymond.

Don't do it. Summers are amazingly hot, muggy and full of mosquitoes. Winter is harshly cold. Spring is amazing after the winter, and fall is awesome. The first two put me off though.

But I do like Illinoian's. Bunch of rebels. It is still only one of the few states that don't have a motorcycle helmet law and they look after vets.

Thanks Dan, I was thinking of moving there for grad school, I truly appreciate your feedback. If I go, plan for the right seasons. Cheers! I owe you all a beer.

Not sure who you are asking that question to but I'd more than likely take the IPA but would enjoy testing out the mild stouts as well. And all the rest.

I'll take a stout. I've been using bucket fermenters for years and I have no complaints. I am thinking about buying a glass carboy, though, because I hear they last.

I am all glass. Picked up a dozen of them 6-gallon carboys (and a couple 3-gallon ones) for a ridiculous price from a winemaking store that was going out of business (about 80% off).

45-70 you'll have to show me around

You planning on heading out this way?

By the way, I think I would have to try the peppercorn IPA. It sounds interesting.

As for glass or plastic, I use plastic buckets. I'm starting to buy enough 8 1/2 gallon buckets to use them exclusively.
I like the extra room so that I don't need a blowoff tube.
I do have a glass carboy that I would use if I were to secondary a beer.
I will also use it if I make salal wine next summer.

I had a glass carboy and broke it. My bad, not the glass's fault. But I've been brewing for about three years with plastic. Sort of glad the glass carboy broke. Plastic is super easy to move around, clean and I have no worry about previous beer flavors impregnating it. It does a little but compared to the fresh beer I'm making the slight beer flavor left in the plastic bucket is trivial and in my opinion makes no difference.

they do last until you drop them. Alas! knock on wood. I've brewed about 300 gallons all in glass fermenters. Of course this does not include the 55 gallon barrel I have in my basement which was filled with a few brewers who all filled it with their "glass carboys".

Ahh Ft Cartoon. I was there back in the 80's

Airborne huh well I was mechanized and drove everywhere :D

You planning on heading out this way?

By the way, I think I would have to try the peppercorn IPA. It sounds interesting.

As for glass or plastic, I use plastic buckets. I'm starting to buy enough 8 1/2 gallon buckets to use them exclusively.
I like the extra room so that I don't need a blowoff tube.
I do have a glass carboy that I would use if I were to secondary a beer.
I will also use it if I make salal wine next summer.

I am, let's keep in touch. Could be a few months.

Dang man I go and do my flame out hops and pitch some yeast and wow things take off.

So Aussie where are you in OZ. My wife lived there for a bunch of years before moving to NZ

Visalia, California. The God fearing, right wing armpit of this beautiful state. Gateway to MY beautiful Sierra Nevada mountain range.

I'm here. Should have let you guys know I was eavesdropping earlier. Been working on some Mountain Rescue stuff. The wonderful state of California has decided that our rescue truck needs to be retrofitted and smoke tested by 01/01/2014. This means some very expensive additions that out little team can't afford at this time. Working on ways to drum up some funding for it.

image-1058265617.jpg

I am, let's keep in touch. Could be a few months.

Very cool.
Depending on when, what your timeline is and what you want to do on the trip, there are plenty of beer opportunities and other things to do.

Homebrew, brewpubs within reasonable drive, good old local bar, seafood, shooting, barbeque, looking for elk in the woods.
Whatever interests you!

Who was asking about a fast drinking barleywine earlier? I've got one that's good after about 45-60 days.

Dang snaps not looking at a map but Sequoia is about due west of me. Never been there but I would love to go sometime.

AussieBrewerInColorado said:
Lived in Melbourne, VIC all my life. Been here in Colorado for 10 years. Last brew I made was only NZ and OZ hops. IPA. Delicious.

What hops do you recommend from down under? One of the places I order from just got a ton of varieties in and I don't know what's good.

Very cool.
Depending on when, what your timeline is and what you want to do on the trip, there are plenty of beer opportunities and other things to do.

Homebrew, brewpubs within reasonable drive, good old local bar, seafood, shooting, barbeque, looking for elk in the woods.
Whatever interests you!

every single thing you said interests me, can't wait!

Varmintman said:
Dang snaps not looking at a map but Sequoia is about due west of me. Never been there but I would love to go sometime.

I've been on just about every trail and summit in Sequoia and Kings in my life. I'd be more than happy to host you. We even have a spare room.

Visalia, California. The God fearing, right wing armpit of this beautiful state. Gateway to MY beautiful Sierra Nevada mountain range.

I'm here. Should have let you guys know I was eavesdropping earlier. Been working on some Mountain Rescue stuff. The wonderful state of California has decided that our rescue truck needs to be retrofitted and smoke tested by 01/01/2014. This means some very expensive additions that out little team can't afford at this time. Working on ways to drum up some funding for it.

View attachment 94865

I can buy you a beer to start?

Lived in Melbourne, VIC all my life. Been here in Colorado for 10 years. Last brew I made was only NZ and OZ hops. IPA. Delicious.

My wife lived in Alice springs for a bit and then moved to the Gold Coast before moving back to Chch.

I think we are going to take a trip before long just to see her kids and I have never been in that part of the world

Who was asking about a fast drinking barleywine earlier? I've got one that's good after about 45-60 days.

I've got a 30 year class reunion coming up in July and was asking yesterday.
I have never made barleywine but I was thinking of including it in with a couple other beers to bring along.
Two kegs and bottles of barleywine.
We only had about 34 people in my class so that much beer plus the wine that another classmate brings from the winery she works at is more than plenty.

I figured that if it's under 9% it should be good by then.
I found an extract recipe that looks promising but one that I know someone has brewed and likes would be nice.

So many of the recipes that are posted are simply word soup.
They envision it and post it with no idea of how good it is.
I can do that!
I want one that's been tested and someone keeps in their recipe book.

My wife lived in Alice springs for a bit and then moved to the Gold Coast before moving back to Chch.

I think we are going to take a trip before long just to see her kids and I have never been in that part of the world

I've never been to Alice Springs, but been to Gold Coast. You should do it. Plan wisely though.

I've been on just about every trail and summit in Sequoia and Kings in my life. I'd be more than happy to host you. We even have a spare room.

LOL no need for a room but dang I would love to see it sometime. Sadly the only time I got into Cali was San Fran and South from there. Still a beautiful state

AussieBrewerInColorado said:
I can buy you a beer to start?

I would definitely like to try that peppercorn IPA!

Oh and plastic. Conicals and buckets. I will never clean a carboy again if I don't have to! I've got a shelf full of them. Aside from an apple beer I've had on Brett for about 6mo, I'm all plastic. That one is interesting. Gonna pitch some wort into it next chance I get.

Back