I know people have added gelatin to corny's, BUT...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdp

Reaction score
the other part of california. Pines, not palms
is the gelatin coagulating on the bottom going to clog the pickup line or faucet?

I have read that some people trim the end of thier pickup tube to keep it above the yeast and other sludge on the bottom of the keg, but at the moment it is submerged in 5 gallons of beer. The problem I am having is the yeast is not settling out of suspension like it usually does. the beer tastes okay but pretty yeasty.

I heard a brewing talkshow that mentioned the same problem with what may be the same type of yeast and that finings helped clear it up, but I don't want to compound the problem. Frankly, I would rather drink yeasty beer than have to dump another batch.

DON'T DUMP IT!

I have used gelatin on several occasions and it works well in removing suspended yeast and even proteins (chill haze) in most cases. I have transferred to secondary with gelatin for a few days then to the keg, and also just put the gelatin right in the keg. Both of these methods return good results. However, if your beer sits long enough at a cold temperature, the yeast, and even chill haze will eventually drop out, gelatin only hurries the process along, in days instead of sometimes weeks, depending on yeast strain. The last few pints of the keg are always better than the first for this reason.

Also, don't worry about your diptube, the first pint or two is going to suck up a small amount of gunk but its not going to clog. Think about it, when you rack your beer, the racking cane always sucks up a little yeast, but not the whole cake. I haven't cut off my diptubes and have never had a problem. Even when I kick a keg and clean it out, there is usually some sediment/yeast in the bottom, if the tube was going to suck that up it would have already done so.

cool. I didn't think the whole thing would get sucked up, I was just concerned that some of the "beer jello" work its way into parts and gum things up.

No, I wasn't planning on dumping it, I just wanted to make sure that adding gelatin wouldn't cause me to have to dump it. Like I said, if I had to I could deal with the yeasty flavor.

Thanks! and I am off to sparge an Irish Red.:mug:

If you prepare the gelatin right, NOT boiling it, you wont get any Jello at the bottom, just sediment. Do search on gelatin finings. The stuff is pretty easy to use but there is a proper way to use it.

Back