I know better, but accidentally did it anyway.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashback

Reaction score
I brewed a La Petite Orange, and its been in primary for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm sitting right where I should be, at 1.007 FG (6.1% ABV). Going to leave it until this weekend and then bottle. While taking my final hydrometer reading, which I do in the bucket with a sanitized hydrometer, I pre-planned and brought with me a sanitized spoon...... Well, the first taste tasted pretty dang good, and without thinking I took another dip. Oops! I sure hope 6.1% is enough to keep who knows what might be running around in my mouth from running around in my beer!

I figured, just wanted to kick myself since I am so careful with sanitation on everything that touches my beer. Just my second batch, but I've picked up the importance of cleanliness from this forum. I think this brew is going to be a lot better than my first batch, since I have since been able to identify a lot of my first brew mistakes.

Don't worry, you'll make less sanitary mistakes in the future. :mug:

Really, there are a whole lot of yeasties and a pinch of alcohol in that brew. Whatever critters survived the trip from your mouth to the beer on the spoon A) are already in you already and don't seem to be doing you much harm, and B) that handful that made the trip likely got punked on arrival by a whole lot of yeasts that were swimming in beer and looking for a fight.

You do the best you can, but beer and wine making is relatively insensitive to little goofs like this once the yeast are established.

Back