I killed my fridge, can anyone help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussPDX

Reaction score
So...,. Building a BrewPi fermentation chamber from an upright fridge, pics below. I removed the thermostat that was connected to the dial in the fridge and wired in a SSR. I also hooked up a heating pad to an SSR. Ran the wires out to the Brew Pi Spark, configured a RasPi 2, and was able to turn the fridge on and off from the touch screen of the Spark without issue.

Configured the BrewPi software and took the Spark out of testing mode and the fridge did not come on. The relays had their lights on so I switched the set of the pins in BrewPi to inverted and the SSR lights went out. They then started responding properly as judged by the LED on the SSRs.

However the fridge no longer turns on. When the SSR tells it to go, all I hear is a soft clicking. I thought that was the SSR but I took the leads off it and touched them together (I had done this when I first removed the thermostat and it worked fine) and I still just hear the clicking so I know it is the fridge.

Here is the wiring diagram, any ideas, tests or other suggestions are welcome, I am dying to get this working and get back to brewing.

Thanks

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448079089.603687.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448079126.925666.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1448079147.138640.jpg

So...,. Building a BrewPi fermentation chamber from an upright fridge, pics below. I removed the thermostat that was connected to the dial in the fridge and wired in a SSR. I also hooked up a heating pad to an SSR. Ran the wires out to the Brew Pi Spark, configured a RasPi 2, and was able to turn the fridge on and off from the touch screen of the Spark without issue.

Configured the BrewPi software and took the Spark out of testing mode and the fridge did not come on. The relays had their lights on so I switched the set of the pins in BrewPi to inverted and the SSR lights went out. They then started responding properly as judged by the LED on the SSRs.

However the fridge no longer turns on. When the SSR tells it to go, all I hear is a soft clicking. I thought that was the SSR but I took the leads off it and touched them together (I had done this when I first removed the thermostat and it worked fine) and I still just hear the clicking so I know it is the fridge.

Here is the wiring diagram, any ideas, tests or other suggestions are welcome, I am dying to get this working and get back to brewing.

Thanks

View attachment 317571View attachment 317572View attachment 317573

Can you connect it back up to its original state? If this does not fix the issue, it could be a bad start capacitor feeding the compressor. You should be able to replace this by searching for the fridge's model number and looking for the start capacitor on various appliance parts websites.

I did take the SSR out and just bridged the wires which is essentially back, and at the very least back to known good. The start capacitor makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

Is there any way to test that theory?

Also, there is n specific indicator of a start capacitor on the wiring diagram. Any tips on locating/replacing it? I assume that I can just find the ing that looks the same once I get the part.

Make sure the defrost timer hasn't kicked on for its heating cycle. The compressor won't come on if it is in that cycle.

I did take the SSR out and just bridged the wires which is essentially back, and at the very least back to known good. The start capacitor makes sense. Thanks for the tip.

Is there any way to test that theory?

Also, there is n specific indicator of a start capacitor on the wiring diagram. Any tips on locating/replacing it? I assume that I can just find the ing that looks the same once I get the part.

The fact that you hear clicks makes me think that it's the start capacitor. There are ways to test it , but you need a capacitor tester or multimeter with such a function. Google refrigerator start capacitor, as there are many guides for this. BTW, the capacitor is usually in a box hanging on the compressor itself. Search your specific model for a parts breakdown or schematic.

Make sure the defrost timer hasn't kicked on for its heating cycle. The compressor won't come on if it is in that cycle.

This, have you plugged it in and left it for an hour to see if it gets cold? My guess is its just the defrost delay timer because your cycling it so often during testing.

@FuzzeWuzze I only left itnfor a minute or two as the clicking scared me.

You dont think I will hurt anything just leaving it going?

I can give it a try just leaving it engaged for an hour. I will report back.

Yeah. Turns out the only problem was with me! Thanks Fuzze and dcrog.

Now I just have to get the software configured properly and I am done.

In our younger days we had a fridge that the timer would stick on. Just had to twist the dial on it a little to get it going again.
I learned to fix a lot of things on that old box. Glad to be of service.

Back