I just want to keg my beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrg247

Reaction score
I am sick of bottling my beer. I drink it in my own home anyways so there isn't any point in doing it. Once I add the priming sugar, can I just somehow feed it into a keg and it will carbonate? Or is there a better method. Also, full kegs are like 15gal and my batches are 5. Do I make 3 batches? jesus.

Also, I just want to be able to put the keg in my fridge without changing the fridge. So I can just open the door and pour beer. I honestly have no idea how this works and what I need. I don't want to spend much money at all( just for the keg and a tap?). Many thanks!

You really ought to spend some time searching and reading and looking at other peoples' setups. I'm sure some people will chime in any minute now with some good resources.

First of all, 1/2 barrel kegs may be 15gal but the kegs used by homebrewers are only 5 gallons, sized just right for normal batches. You can carbonate with priming sugar, or you can force-carbonate with the same CO2 you use to dispense.

You'll likely have to spend more than you seem to think. Kegs can usually be had for around $25, but you need to replace O-rings, so a couple more bucks. You need a CO2 tank and regulator, I paid about $80 for my tank and $50 for my regulator. Then you need fittings for the keg, a picnic tap (since it sounds like you don't want to put a faucet in the door), hoses, hose clamps, etc... Probably another $30-ish? You can buy kits from various places online that have all the stuff you need and probably save some money, but it's probably going to at least be over $100, maybe closer to $200, unless you can find some really good deals.

As mentioned, the cornelius kegs used for homebrew are 5 gallons, so no need to make more than one batch to fill them. However, it is not going to save you money. You will likely have to spend at least a few hundred dollars; and that is assuming you already have a fridge. I think all in all, my setup cost me around $500. Worth every penny IMO.

Well I hardly have any money. I know at the place I work at the kegs cost $30. And the small 5gal kegs(ideal) cost the same. They are just skinnier. A CO2 tank is cheap. I just need to know the process so i can build my own setup. How do i force carb? How can I get the beer inside? Is there a reverse tap ro something? where can I buy parts?

Thanks.

Someone who is already kegging will probably reply soon, but I'm in the process of kegging and I'm estimating that it will cost me a ballpark of $550 to get the Sanyo, tower and faucets, and kegging equipment (3 kegs, 5 lb CO2 tank, regulator, etc.).

www.brewersdiscount.com is where I buy my stuff. Kegs cost $25, and the rest of the accessories are pretty cheap. For a one keg setup this is what you will need:

CO2 tank
regulator
gas line in quick disconnect
keg
gas line out disconnect
some form of tap, I use the picnic taps and they work fine
some means of keeping the keg cold (keep in mind you have to have the tank connected so you have to be able to keep the CO2 tank with the keg, or have some other way of getting the line to the keg)
hose clamps

From there the procedure is pretty simple:

Take lid off of keg, clean inside of keg.
Add sanitizer
Reapply lid, shake keg,
attach regulator to tank and gas line to disconnect
attach gas in disconnect
hit the tank with some pressure and run some sanitizer through the dip tube (optional, but I recommend it)
release pressure, remove lid, drain sanitizer
rinse (optional)
purge air in keg with CO2
siphon beer into keg
apply keg lube to orings
attach lid
hit keg with a burst of high pressure to set lid
turn pressure down
release pressure from keg a couple of times to get rid of the oxygen
apply pressure around 12 psi for a week to ten days and you now have keg beer.

Oh yeah, you will want to attach your liquid disconnect and picnic tap somewhere along there too. I know it sounds like a lot of info, but once you get it all in front of you, you will see how easy it is.

SEARCH THE FORUM. "How do I start kegging" is a question that gets asked, and answered on a weekly (if not daily) basis.

Back