I just made things harder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b33risGOOD

Reaction score
Well last night I caved in. I ran out of delicious beer and decided to try my bottled home brew after only 10 days (I promised myself I would wait 3 weeks...)

Turns out its far more delicious then I could have expected! Now its going to be very hard to not dip in for another :) Initially I thought by beer might have been too bitter (coopers real Ale kit, plus hops) Nope its a nice and spicy blend, tastes like heaven.

God bless homebrew

I would admit defeat and get batch number two going so you can let it age properly while number 1 gets drank prematurely. Sure it would be better if you waited, but c'mon, your first batch is damn exciting!

i ususally have beers that are quick and low alcohol for immediate consumption and then brew others for long term aging. plus i usually do 1 low alcohol and 1 high alcohol brew with each batch of yeast, that way you drink the first batch while eagerly anticipating the BIG beer. keep 'em rolling and you'll be in constant supply and a decent selection to drink:) i did a mild and ipa that will be ready for consumption 3 weeks after brewing, 2 week primary and 1 one in bottle for carbonation. low alcohol = less time to come into prime (not green)

My first brew was easy to resist. Mostly because it tasted like crap. Congrats on your first brew and here's to many more! Cheers! :mug:

congrats on the first brew, the trick is to brew more rather than worry about waiting too much, now i have 3 6gallon fermenters on the go 24/7 pretty much its just enough to keep the supply up for me and the mrs (and all the friends who like to pop over now 8) ) Adding hops to the kits is a good way to get started with experimenting and makes it a lot more fun. Get a few of them under your belt then move onto your own extract/partial mash recipes, its even better ;)

If it tastes good now, drink it up! Brew some more now if you have to leave a beer alone for 3 weeks. That's just more of a guideline anyway. IMO, an IPA or APA starts getting worse the second the yeast clears. Some beers are meant to drink fresh.

Your goal was good beer, your drinking good beer, and somehow your perceiving a problem? I haven't gotten my cycle out to 3 weeks in bottle yet, hell I just got it out to 2 weeks, so maybe I'll change my mind down the road but I say drink it when it's good and you'll live a long happy life.

I start popping mine at about a week. Aside from missing the carbonation they've been drinkable on bottling day. One here and there over time you can tell the differences as they condition.

hehe, right on! Plus if you think about it, if the beer's good flat and unconditioned, when it's "finished" it should be awesome. hehe:mug:

Back