I just got suprised with hop root clipings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOktoberfest

Reaction score
So a guy from work just surprised me by hooking me up with some hop roots! I'm the kind of person that researches the crap out of something before I act. I'm kinda freaking out right now because I have an hour or so before home depot closes and I have no idea what to do with these things.

A great problem to have I know :ban:

Can anyone link me to or rattle off some good info? I have several each of Mt. Hood and sterling.

Potting soil and lots of water? I just need to buy enough time to get to the weekend.

Thanks

The roots are actually rhizomes. I'm not familiar with hop rhizomes but you don't need to rush to do anything before Home Depot closes. Rhizomes can take some abuse. I'd keep them in a cool dry place for now and wait for someone more knowledgable about hop rhizomes to tell you what to do with them.

Congratulations, that's a nice gift.

As a matter of fact, hop rhizomes have some special space requirements so you definitely shouldn't do anything until you have heard from someone versed in hop culturing and have planned a home for them. Nothing has to happen today.

I personally have left them in the fridge with a wet paper towel for a few weeks but have heard you can keep them like that up to a year.

I have clay soil that doesnt drain so i mixed some clay with manure, topsoil, peat moss and fertilizer and planted those bad boys. Got a out 5 oz of dried cascades from 4 rhizomes. Dont water them too much early though my nuggets rotted from overwatering. After they start growing good water the crap out of them

So a guy from work just surprised me by hooking me up with some hop roots! I'm the kind of person that researches the crap out of something before I act. I'm kinda freaking out right now because I have an hour or so before home depot closes and I have no idea what to do with these things.

A great problem to have I know :ban:

Can anyone link me to or rattle off some good info? I have several each of Mt. Hood and sterling.

Potting soil and lots of water? I just need to buy enough time to get to the weekend.

Thanks

Those varieties are no good to you - trust me. You're best off mailing them to me so I can dispose of them properly. :D

Seriously though, wrap in a damp paper towel, put in a ziplock, put in your fridge's crisper until you can plant them. For planting, if you've got nice fertile soil then you'll just need to dig a spot for them, otherwise a little compost mixed in will suffice for this year. Next year maybe some fish emulsion a couple time throughout the growing season. You want them to be in moist soil, not wet soil.

I bought some rhizomes this year(hop roots), put mine in 3 gallon pots, buried about 1/3 way down. They are growing up nicely. Up to 4 shoots per pot. I'll move them to the ground next to the fence once they get big enough. Just dig a little hole, near the fence, a sunny spot. Let them go wild.

stpug said:
Those varieties are no good to you - trust me. You're best off mailing them to me so I can dispose of them properly. :D

Seriously though, wrap in a damp paper towel, put in a ziplock, put in your fridge's crisper until you can plant them. For planting, if you've got nice fertile soil then you'll just need to dig a spot for them, otherwise a little compost mixed in will suffice for this year. Next year maybe some fish emulsion a couple time throughout the growing season. You want them to be in moist soil, not wet soil.

Ha! Sounds like a Palmer-ism to me. That's how I obtained 4 cases of "dangerous" kolsch Grolsch bottles :)

Sounds like a plan. I'll post up some pics once they get established if I don't kill em first.

Back