I have Bison...now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98EXL

Reaction score
Stealing Revvy's thread title....I have bison!

Picked up some ground bison two days ago....and I have already done bison burgers, anyone have anything else fun to eat?

Plagarizer :D

Darn I was hoping you had a roast, years ago I did a dry rub, then smoked it over hickory with one piece of cherry, til it was medium rare and sliced it in rounds....it was even better then the best filet mignon you could ever have. It had this on amazing wedge of fat that was like smokey cherry cream cheese....

But ground...can't think of anything too exciting beside the usual chillies, burger, meatloafs...

Oh you could do "indian tacos" making some Indian Fry Bread...

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/NavajoFryBread.htm

THis frybread recipe is not the one I use....I couldn't find the original site where I got mine, like 10 years ago... I could post it from home if I can find it, later. Mine had 2 tbls of honey in it...

Take some of the ground and mix it with diced tomatoes and spinach, then wrap it with filo dough and bake. Little meat pies. YUM YUM

Stealing Revvy's thread title....I have bison!

Picked up some ground bison two days ago....and I have already done bison burgers, anyone have anything else fun to eat?

Make a nice Cottage Pie and serve it with a cold porter. :mug:

Take some of the ground and mix it with diced tomatoes and spinach, then wrap it with filo dough and bake. Little meat pies. YUM YUM

ooh yeah...but since diced fresh tomatoes are deadly:D

Use a small can of this for a nice spicy kick,

rotel_copy.jpg

he he, lets be immature for a second (ok, me 24/7) you said 'meat pie'

That sounds like a great idea! SWMBO would like that too!

The beautiful thing about bison is that it doesn't have a gamey flavor. You can pretty much use it anywhere you would normally use beef (and IMO it actually tastes better then beef).

Vine tomatoes and cherry tomatoes were declared safe now so there you go. But rotel is damn good

Yeah I know...darn. I still think raw tomatoes are satan's fruit! :D

I can't stand them...but mash them and cook them with some oregano and garlic, and that's another story....I agree with George Carlin's assesment of raw tomatoes...

speaking of bison, is it more or less expensive than beef? I've heard it can be less especially when buying large quantities, like we do. We normally get a half a beef around fall, but was thinking about bison if it's cheaper or the same/lb.

Locally I've fond it to be more expensive, but not significantly more, and it has much better flavor and more vitamins than beef. I LOVE making stews with bison, and I've made great burgers with ground, but I generally almost never use ground anything except turkey when I'm making tacos, so I can't help you much. :)

I never made anything....I ended up sticking it in the freezer for now :( Soon though, soon

Latest posts

Back