I have all these beer ingredients...what shall I do????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcox85

Reaction score
Hey guys, was hoping to get an estimation on a recipe for combining all these beer ingredients to make a full batch of beer.
Let me break it down...I have 3.3lb of LME, 1lb of light DME, and quite a bit of Caramel 40 and CaraPils malts...and tons of hoppy hops such as Chinook, Amaraillo, Cascade, Centennial ect.

What I am wondering is, can I combine all of these to make a 5 gal batch of something tasty? I was working with 1 gal batches but don't have the patience or space for 5 jugs around my house and wanna get it done all in one shot....any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

I think that's a little light for a 5 gallon batch. Well below 1.040.

Maybe try a 3-4 gallon batch. An American Pale Ale, as you have plenty of those hops. I don't think you need the carapils as the extract has that, and be careful about using too much Caramel malt.

The DME would equate to about 7.5 lbs of grain, so it would be a lower ABV 5-gallon batch - not that that's a bad thing. The DME already has some Carapils in it, so you might not need any, or at least a smaller amount.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm just gonna do 2 smaller batches and use different hops, since my boil kettle isn't enough to handle the boil gravity of anything above 3 gallons at once, hoping to yield 4 gallons after all said and done, gotta experiment with some new yeasts too...thanks again!

3.3 lbs LME + 1 lb DME + 0.25 lbs C40 + lots of hops in a 2.5 gallon batch will get you a 1.060 IPA.

Make 3 gallons and you get a 1.050 Pale Ale.

I think I'd make 3 gallons and add 0.75 lbs plain table sugar, which will bring you back to about 1.060. The sugar will help lower the FG and dry it out a little.

Hmm...well I actually formulated this recipe for a 3 gallon batch:

3.3 lbs LME
1 lb light DME
.5 lb Caramel 40

For hops:
10.5 grams Centennial @45
10.5 grams Willamette @ 20
31.5 grams Cascade at flame out
Calculated to be about 30 IBU

Is .5 lbs of steeped Caramel 40 too much? Shall I add more hops then? What will be the differences from adding corn sugar to table sugar?

I don't think 1/2 pound of Crystal is too much for 5 gallons, although some people like to go lower with American PAs and IPAs.

Table sugar ferments a little better than corn sugar, but I'd be surprised if it made a noticeable difference (unless you are caluclating carbonation levels). Table is cheaper.

I think it's fine the way you have it for a pale ale. If going for an IPA then as mentioned probably decrease the caramel malt, bump the hops, and add some sugar. Corn and table sugar are going to give the same effect, i.e.boost the ABV without really adding to the FG.

Back