I have a two keg system. I want to make it three...what do I need?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorne17

Reaction score
Hello there,

I have a double keg system setup. It's this system: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W3PYLNW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I now want to add a third keg. Possibly a small 3 gallon keg, or just another 5 gallon (since they are pretty much the same price). But what do I need on my regulator? I want to get a split connection on one so I can share on out of C02 and not have to get a whole new triple regulator.

I really just want Ginger Beer on tap and Session Pale Ale on tap most all times. Then have a rotating tap.

Thoughts on the equipment I'll need? I'll likely be purchasing from Amazon so Links are welcomed ;)

Thanks,
Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
If you plan on using the same serving pressure for two of the kegs, just put a WYE on one of the gas out lines and split it to two gas lines to the kegs. Then get another picnic tap and voila! Three kegs.

All great options. Thanks all.

How might I go about making this tower a triple? Do you think it's even possible? Enough room for a third? My biggest concern is getting a wrench in there to attach a third tap.

Kegco KC D4743DT-SS Double Tap Stainless Steel Draft Beer Kegerator Tower, 3" Diameter, Stainless Steel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0048CDUBC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Do you have a tap tower? Or chest freezer or what is your base? That will help.

If a tower then you need a 7/8" or 15/16" hole saw, another tap and stubby shank. The key would be another secondary regulator or you can do a gateway connector splitting the one line into two, if you will have similar pressures on those tanks

RevKev,

Thanks for the reply. I have a chest freezer on a 3" tower. Almost identical to yours. I was thinking if tapping into the same location.

However, how will you tighten the tap nut?

I've figured out how to get the gas to the taps. Just now need to figure out how to have the third tap installed. Or if I need a whole new tower.

RevKev,

Thanks for the reply. I have a chest freezer on a 3" tower. Almost identical to yours. I was thinking if tapping into the same location.

However, how will you tighten the tap nut?

I've figured out how to get the gas to the taps. Just now need to figure out how to have the third tap installed. Or if I need a whole new tower.

I will take off the two existing with Perlicks and hang them near the base of tower with beer line pulled through shank hole and with the new hole drilled attach beer line through and then tighten with shank wrench, it could be done with others attached but then again... That's a PITA.

Getting a shank wrench will save your knuckles! The top of mine comes off it yours doesn't it's nearly impossible. You could cut and buy a cap though.

I will take off the two existing with Perlicks and hang them near the base of tower with beer line pulled through shank hole and with the new hole drilled attach beer line through and then tighten with shank wrench, it could be done with others attached but then again... That's a PITA.

Getting a shank wrench will save your knuckles! The top of mine comes off it yours doesn't it's nearly impossible. You could cut and buy a cap though.
I have a shank wrench. Good idea to take the other two off prior to tightening the new middle one! My tower top comes off. I have same perlik faucets and tower as you...

Please keep me posted on how your install goes!

Do you happen to have the parts list that you purchased everything? I will be purchasing on Amazon. Here's my list on Amazon I've created: https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/6YS5G72SGFGJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_dESYybJ8TFJ8C I have two kegs in there, because I can't decide if I go new, or reconditioned. Do you have a suggestion on that too?

I have a shank wrench. Good idea to take the other two off prior to tightening the new middle one! My tower top comes off. I have same perlik faucets and tower as you...

Please keep me posted on how your install goes!

Do you happen to have the parts list that you purchased everything? I will be purchasing on Amazon. Here's my list on Amazon I've created: https://www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/6YS5G72SGFGJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_dESYybJ8TFJ8C I have two kegs in there, because I can't decide if I go new, or reconditioned. Do you have a suggestion on that too?

As for kegs how much room do you have in your kegerator? Me personally I can only fit either 2 tall 1/4 Sanke kegs or 2 sixtels, three 5 gallon kegs will never fit for me..

That being said I'm going to keep one tap a Sanke D (so either a 1/6 or 1/4) and transition to ball locks specifically the MoreBeer Torpedo kegs as I can get a 1.5gallon and 2.5gallon to stack and still fit my 5lbCO2 and 22cu.ft N2 tank in the kegerator. I will post links after I finish transformation today!

If you have a chest freezer with a tower why not just drill another hole on top and add a new tower...It could be your "specialty" beer tap. I don't like the looks of a lower or higher 3rd tap on one tower but that's just me....

What I suggest is trying to get the same shank as you have in your tower now, I just went for this one because I was buying hops and impulsively added it. Later I found out the coupler that hides the drilled hole was made of plastic, whatever.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/short-tower-shank.html

I also have noticed that even though shanks are all 7/8" .. the threads on some are taller than others. The one I got from MoreBeer has threads taller than my Kegco original I got from Beverage Factory. I used the Milwaukee form of this that I got from Home Depot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LFGKOW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you can find one or if you get your shank in first I would say measure it and see if a 15/16" or 1" hole can be covered. I first took my tiny bit and punched a simple in by hitting it with a hammer so when drilling a priming hole the bit won't slip on the surface and then used the 7/8" hole saw to get the bulk. Then bc the hole was too small I went to town with a crappy large diameter bit boring the hole out until my shank fit. Then I reassembled.

Took me 2.5 hours? Maybe I didn't time myself but I cleaned my lines, shanks and had a brew or two also.

On a side note on your wish list is a torpedo keg. Buy it from MoreBeer directly, they ship free and it's fast.. sometimes during holidays they have 10% sitewide too

View attachment 1489700045309.jpg

View attachment 1489700053911.jpg

View attachment 1489700064441.jpg

View attachment 1489700073551.jpg

What I suggest is trying to get the same shank as you have in your tower now, I just went for this one because I was buying hops and impulsively added it. Later I found out the coupler that hides the drilled hole was made of plastic, whatever.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/short-tower-shank.html

I also have noticed that even though shanks are all 7/8" .. the threads on some are taller than others. The one I got from MoreBeer has threads taller than my Kegco original I got from Beverage Factory. I used the Milwaukee form of this that I got from Home Depot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LFGKOW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

If you can find one or if you get your shank in first I would say measure it and see if a 15/16" or 1" hole can be covered. I first took my tiny bit and punched a simple in by hitting it with a hammer so when drilling a priming hole the bit won't slip on the surface and then used the 7/8" hole saw to get the bulk. Then bc the hole was too small I went to town with a crappy large diameter bit boring the hole out until my shank fit. Then I reassembled.

Took me 2.5 hours? Maybe I didn't time myself but I cleaned my lines, shanks and had a brew or two also.

On a side note on your wish list is a torpedo keg. Buy it from MoreBeer directly, they ship free and it's fast.. sometimes during holidays they have 10% sitewide too

Thank you for your help Revkev! Your tower is looking good! Is that a nitro tap faucet you added? This is very helpful and exactly what I am after!

If you have a chest freezer with a tower why not just drill another hole on top and add a new tower...It could be your "specialty" beer tap. I don't like the looks of a lower or higher 3rd tap on one tower but that's just me....
Johnny, great point. However, my current tower is smack in the middle of the top of my keezer. You can see it in this picture attached. If I add another tower, it won't be centered or symmetrical! So yea, I think I may go the rought of adding the third tap to the tower.

IMG_5086.jpg

Also to respond direct to your cleaning lines. I use a water pump I bought from Harbor Freight and a plug my growler filler up directly to that, then take off my ball lock and put the end of the hose back into the water container with the water pump. First I pump PBW/Oxy-Clean through the lines for about 10-15 mins. Automatically cycles through and I can leave it without thinking about it. Then I do the same thing with plain water to rinse it out. When I'm ready to tap my kegs again, I'll use star-san for 10-15 mins.

Works like a dream with minimal effort!

As for Morebeer, good idea, perhaps I'll go there. But I do have Amazon giftcards. That's all I ask for for my bday and xmas these days. Then I can get anything I want!

Thank you for your help Revkev! Your tower is looking good! Is that a nitro tap faucet you added? This is very helpful and exactly what I am after!

Yes! It's an all SS one from Beverage Factory the gf got me for Christmas, plan on using the 1.5gallon torpedo for nitro cold brew coffee and experiments! And thank you! I was worried about how the offset would look but came out very nice, I'm going to get a plain SS Perlick as I want to have sours on tap also.

Cheers and good luck! Lemme know if you have questions

Johnny, great point. However, my current tower is smack in the middle of the top of my keezer. You can see it in this picture attached. If I add another tower, it won't be centered or symmetrical! So yea, I think I may go the rought of adding the third tap to the tower.
That thing looks cold and lonely in the corner of your basement,,,I demand you move it to the living room and if the wife doesn't like it and moves out you can put it in the bedroom and never get out of bed.:mug:

That thing looks cold and lonely in the corner of your basement,,,I demand you move it to the living room and if the wife doesn't like it and moves out you can put it in the bedroom and never get out of bed.:mug:

No joke! How about I try that. If my wife and kids argue, well I'll send them your way! Nice thing is, I made a poker table a long time ago that is in the room next to this one, so we have poker nights and it's pretty nice being down there.

Also I have a section of my counter-top that is removable and that Ferminator (My name for my FastFerment Chamber) is on casters and slides out. That way I didn't have wasted counter space. See images attached. I hung the old kitchen cabinets and countertop last weekend.

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5085.jpg

DSC06496.jpg

Back