I have a idea !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector2000

Reaction score
I have an idea that has been on my mind for some time.

I do not know if this be possible or not but it seems to be logical.

My idea is not to boil the wort obtained in the mashing stage, also isomerization of hop and extraction of aroma done in separate container with just water and then add to unboiled wort.

This is possible?

The advantage of this method, in my opinion is lighter and more malty taste of beer.
(P.S: infection of wort before adding of hops extract prevent by using UV lamp or pass wort from 0.5 micron filter)

Last edited:
I've heard of people trying something likewise, just bringing wort temps up high enough to inactivate the enzymes.
And preparing hop seperately.
But I can't remember where? And I cannot remember the final outcome?
I'll post a link if/when I remember

(P.S: infection of wort before adding of hops extract prevent by using UV lamp or pass wort from 0.5 micron filter)

A mashout at 170 F should be sufficient to sanitize the sweet wort, since that's pasteurization temps (e.g. HTST is ish 165 F for 30 seconds), if all of the sweet wort actually gets to that temperature.

I often make raw or no boil ales. I mash as normal, drain out and then heat the wort to 78C (172F) to pasteurize it. I let this cool naturally as pasteurization actually needs 72C for 20 minutes. I boil the bittering hops in a pan on the stove for an hour and strain the boiling liquid into the wort.
I really like the results and find it's especially suited to hoppy APAs.
You'll get a cloudy beer with much more mouth feel as you retain the proteins that would come out in the boil.

I often make raw or no boil ales. I mash as normal, drain out and then heat the wort to 78C (172F) to pasteurize it. I let this cool naturally as pasteurization actually needs 72C for 20 minutes. I boil the bittering hops in a pan on the stove for an hour and strain the boiling liquid into the wort.
I really like the results and find it's especially suited to hoppy APAs.
You'll get a cloudy beer with much more mouth feel as you retain the proteins that would come out in the boil.
That is great.
Adding protease enzyme(Papain,Ficain,Bromelain) in mashing step break down proteins and the wort will not be cloudy any more(adding clarifying agent like gelatin or Spindadol are useful too)

That is great.
Adding protease enzyme(Papain,Ficain,Bromelain) in mashing step break down proteins and the wort will not be cloudy any more(adding clarifying agent like gelatin or Spindadol are useful too)
Personally I really like the effect of the extra protein, it gives the beer a certain silkiness and extra mouth feel that plays well with the styles I like to brew. I usually add 1kg of oats too, so haze isn't a thing that bothers me either.

I do not know if this be possible or not but it seems to be logical.

If you search for "raw ale" you will find plenty of info on this basic idea. The only time I tried it was in an attempt to make a Low/No ABV Hazy IPA. That beer had some issues, but likely not related to the no-boil process. I am pretty sure David Heath has some good info on this on his YouTube channel.

If you search for "raw ale" you will find plenty of info on this basic idea. The only time I tried it was in an attempt to make a Low/No ABV Hazy IPA. That beer had some issues, but likely not related to the no-boil process. I am pretty sure David Heath has some good info on this on his YouTube channel.
That is interesting,
I didnt know this type of beer already exist !
I want to know taste and aroma of lager that made by this wort.
Should be different that regular lager

DMS might be problematic with light grains and no boil though...

🌽

Non-boiling wort (so called "raw beer") was a standard technique in some medieval beers and, up to much more recently, in traditional Nordic farmhouse styles. The best known example of a "raw beer" is Finnish Sahti which is still often produced with no boil. Hopping is very low and is done by adding hops to the mash.
"Raw beer" was meant to be consumed very fresh, after a very short and violent fermentation, no bottling, so disinfection wasn't much of a concern.
I brewed several Sahtis with and without boiling. Planning to bottle my "raw beers", I pasteurized the fresh wort at 80°C before chilling and pitching yeast. Got no wild fermentation issues whatsoever. My bottled Sahtis stored unspoiled for months.

My "raw" Sahtis came out quite hazy, and, flavourwise, rather grainy/floury than malty. I think that was because, without boiling, a lot of malt flour and proteins didn't fall out of solution and stayed suspended in wort. They were not lighter than boiled beers at all, they were remarkably heavy-bodied, and the Finns at the brewing forums I read said it should be like that. I liked my "raw beers" far less than boiled versions of the same recipes, but Your Mileage May Vary.

Last edited:
I offered the "Wort Boiling" article just to show that some people are inquisitive enough to ask and determined enough to try. It is interesting.

Back