I have a couple ounces of Summit. IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
I have never used Summit before and I have exactly 2 ounces to kill. I would like to get an idea of the flavor of Summit but I don't want to do a SMaSH with it. It is a pretty high AA hop so I thought I might be able to do a decent IPA with it. Then I thought that since I only have 2 ounces maybe I should keep it in the APA range and do more later hop additions to get more of the aroma and flavor.

Anyways, I made an IPA recipe of sorts. Not a hop bomb but certainly within IPA specs. Any comments are appreciated!

Recipe: Summit IPA
Brewer: Wicked Chicken
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 58.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.00 %
1.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 12.00 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.00 %
0.50 oz Summit [16.50 %] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [16.50 %] (30 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
0.25 oz Summit [16.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
0.50 oz Summit [16.50 %] (5 min) Hops 5.5 IBU

0.25 oz Summit [16.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)[Starter-1300ml]

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.63 qt of water at 167.7 F 152.0 F

Some get an onion flavor/aroma from summit, but I find it to be a great all around hop. Massive flavor and aroma - piney, tangerine, etc....

Check out biermunchers sacred summit pale ale recipe.

I'd consider moving your 30 and 60 additions to fwh.

I'd consider moving your 30 and 60 additions to fwh.

Thanks AZ... I've noticed that our tastes seem to be pretty similar so it's helpful to get your input.

Moving them both to fwh bumps the IBU fairly significantly. From 58.9 to 70.8... Do you think my grain bill is big enough to balance that out well?

I'll have to check out that recipe from Biermuncher and see if I want to go with that instead.

Thanks again!

It may be okay, but I really like flavor/aroma of summit, so id hit your IBUs and add the rest late or bump your dry hop amount.

Still tinkering with my red chair clone recipe, but I'll be brewing it soon if you still want to do a swap.

My brew day went a little awry when I did my last Red Chair. It was my first brew on some new equipment and I missed my numbers enough that I don't think it will be my best representation of my recipe. Probably not the same as when I brewed it in the past. Not enough of an issue that it will be a bad beer though so I'm still up for a swap.

Back