I hate my sinuses!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beta pleated sheet

Reaction score
So, my evil sinuses are flaring up again, so I'm trying to take it easy, enjoy a nice homebrew, but no! My sinuses don't even want me to do that. I can hardly taste anything beyond the bitter/sweet/salty/sour deal, and it makes me want to scream.

Being sick sucks.

My name is david_42 and I'm a loratadine junkie. At least during the grass pollen season. My neighbors have several hundred acres in grass seed, oats, wheat and other grains. There are times when the air is yellow.

The only logical solution is to get them surgically removed. They're like your appendix, anyway...you don't really need them.

the solution for clogged sinuses.............Kung Pao chicken.................those peppers work as good and faster than any drug ive found to get your sinuses draining..........without the local chinese joint i would die during cold and flu season..........

They moisturise the incoming air and filter out particles from entering your lungs.

Try corticosteroid nose sprays. Up here they are be prescription, not sure stateside. And you can brag to your friends that you are on roids. (jk) :)

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Try corticosteroid nose sprays. Up here they are be prescription, not sure stateside. And you can brag to your friends that you are on roids. (jk) :)

Absolutely ... Rhinocort Aqua is a god send. Two spays each side every morning and a zyrtec and you'll suffer significantly less.

Wasabi also works well for cleaning up your sinuses.
Try the teapot in Northampton, and then over to the Dirty Truth once your sinuses are cleared up.:tank:

beta pleated sheet said:
I was actually wondering about that earlier today. What do they do, anyway?

SWMBO just had this surgery done. Basically over the past few years she's just gotten worse to the point where I'd make a gorgeous meal and she wouldn't be able to taste it :(. She had a new procedure done that is not completely accepted by the Ear/Nose/Throat community, but the surgeon has had over 90% success rates.

Basically they knock you out and then go in through the nose and clean out the infection and excess tissue/etc and if necessary perform a Septoplasty (a deviated septum is quite often just as much a cause of chronic sinus problems). Then they squirt in a biodegradable foam to prevent infection (kind of like that expanding foam sealant, only sterile and nonreactive).

Then you have to keep the nasal passage moist (like many times a day with a Saline mister or about 4-5 times a day with a Neti pot) to keep the foam from drying out and to help prevent infection. A week later (tomorrow for SWMBO), they remove the rest of the packing (you are awake which sucks). She can already smell things that she couldn't before and had almost no bleeding at all post-op.

The 'old' method (still used in most parts of the country I think) is they completely scrape everything out. The surgeon we used believes in just removing enough to allow the body to recover, and in doing so it helps prevent infections from the surgery (my boss had this complication and spent 2 years recovering).

Glibbidy said:
Wasabi also works well for cleaning up your sinuses.
Try the teapot in Northampton, and then over to the Dirty Truth once your sinuses are cleared up.:tank:

I'm partial to Vindaloo, and the India Palace. Always seem to get a real nice meal there.

zoebisch01 said:
The 'old' method (still used in most parts of the country I think) is they completely scrape everything out. The surgeon we used believes in just removing enough to allow the body to recover, and in doing so it helps prevent infections from the surgery (my boss had this complication and spent 2 years recovering).

Actually, the old method isn't really used that much anymore. Nearly all sinus surgery is endoscopic (with the scope) and tissue removal is usually kept to a minimum. The old method is Caldwell Luc and it's where they enter the sinus' through the gumline. It's very invasive and complicated and is extremely rare now.

srm775 said:
Actually, the old method isn't really used that much anymore. Nearly all sinus surgery is endoscopic (with the scope) and tissue removal is usually kept to a minimum. The old method is Caldwell Luc and it's where they enter the sinus' through the gumline. It's very invasive and complicated and is extremely rare now.

Ok so the 'newer' old method then :)D), which was still endoscopic but more invasive than what my wife just had done. AFAIK the surgeon here is the one that has invented this method, and it is 'cutting edge' (pun intended :D).

Evan! said:
The only logical solution is to get them surgically removed. They're like your appendix, anyway...you don't really need them.

How do you remove a hole in your head?:D

I'm pretty sure my aunt had the old procedure done a while back. Not sure how that went for her, though. Yeah, nose and throat problems run in my family. It sucks.

But what really sucks is that I tried drinking an IPA, and all I could taste was bitter. I couldn't even detect anything citrusy or grapefruity from the cascade hops. It made me saaaad.

Ugh, I feel your pain. My sinuses are already starting to pack up with inflammation and an Alien Spittle Wormhole is forming.

Thank the gods Zyrtec is now OTC!! That's the only med that kept me alive last year, and I dreaded having to pay $100 a month for a non-covered Rx (damn your eyes health care!). But now, $20 a month, and 24 hour pill.

Being a long-time allergy sufferer, I finally went out this weekend and bought a neti pot.

For those who don't know of it, it's like a small teapot. You fill it with warm saline solution, put the spout in one nostril, lean over the sink and tilt your head, allowing the saline to flow in one nostril, through your sinuses, and out the other.

Frankly, it's a bit of a weird sensation the first couple of times, but I think it's helping.

Being a long-time allergy sufferer, I finally went out this weekend and bought a neti pot.

For those who don't know of it, it's like a small teapot. You fill it with warm saline solution, put the spout in one nostril, lean over the sink and tilt your head, allowing the saline to flow in one nostril, through your sinuses, and out the other.

Frankly, it's a bit of a weird sensation the first couple of times, but I think it's helping.

The saline rinsing is helpful. I use this instead of the Neti...

http://www.unimedprod.com/products.shtml

My mom has nasal/sinus problems too. Back (way back) when I was a kid, she used to snort saltwater. Juice glass, salt, lukewarm water, Snooort!

Same principle as the neti pot / nasal irrigator, but I think a bit higher on the degree of difficulty.

I never really had sinus issues when I was younger but now, I seem to have issues with them everytime I get a bad cold (which is pretty often with a 2 & 5 year old). My teeth would hurt everytime I walked because of the pressure in my sinuses. :(

I have been using a warm saline solution with an irrigation bulb. I call it the sinus ******. :D

It has really helped me to loosen up the mucus and get rid of it. It does feel a little wierd at first but you get used to it.

I love a good nasal rinse. In fact I prefer to lean my head back and hold my pallet closed (like when you want to fake sounding sick while calling the boss;) ) Then I fill up my nostrils with the rinse solution and pinch my nose shut. Then I lean way forward and release my pallet. Then if I close my mouth and push just slightly with my diaphragm in a pulsing manner, I can pump the solution deep into the clogged sinuses. This increases the pressure for a short time, so I wouldn't recommend it if the pressure is already painful. But After doing this for a few minutes, I lean over the toilet and let stuff drain. It isn't long before I feal popping sensations in my sinuses, each followed by a gush of slimy nasty fluid that sends me back to the sink. After half an hour or so, its all drained and my head feels absolutely fantastic.

The other trick is to chew on raw garlic first. It'll make your eyes water like crazy. Just make sure you don't sniffle at all. drawing that fluid back into your sinuses is counterproductive. If your like me it's easy to go through an entire box of tissues in a very short period of time. so instead I usually just lean over the sink and lightly blow the draining fluid into the sink. Don't forget to rinse the sink of all evidence. SWMBO isn't crazy about dried gunk in her bathroom:cross:

My brother had serious problems with pollen (and cats!) and he tried some sort vaccine cure for his allergy (!). It worked wonders. It was pretty expensive (~$3000) and he had to take about 15 shots over a 24 month period but for him it was worth it -he's completely free from his symptoms.

Pretty cool stuff, but it dosn't work for everyone -the success rate has something to do with how your allergy has progressed and intesified over time.

H

Back