I hate HomeDepot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WortMonger

"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I got in trouble earlier from my brother and roommates because I was bitching and they didn't want to hear it, and they never have to go to a hardware store because they couldn't change their underwear. I thought I would vent here and I will probably be using this thread often. So..... I go to the big HD in my small little town and they either don't have exactly what I am looking for, can't help me, or outright give me sh!tty advice every time I go there. I chalk it up to them either being in college and not caring or being ancient and not caring.

This being said, I go in today to buy a water heater element for my newest project because they have run off our wonderful but small hardware shops and that is the only place to go. I ask the guy where they are and he instantly asks me before we even start heading that way what I need it for. Well, I am trying to heat some water in a container other than a water heater. Why? Uhh, because I want to. Oh, well do you need 110V or 240V. 110, sorry can't help you and he turns around. So I ask again where they are located, and he asks me why. So, I tell him about my project and how I have read and read and I want a 240 but plan on running it 110. He still doesn't tell me where they are located and says once more, I told you it won't work. Now, I am pissed at this old man but trying to maintain my respectful speech. Can you please tell me where they are so I can look at them, sure they are right over here and he points and walks off. Dammit, I say and he turns around with a look of surprise. I could use your help finding everything else I need please, I understand how much of a burden I am, but I am planning on buying a lot of stuff and I thought you guys like to sell the stuff you have. He huffs and agrees to help, only he isn't going to be any more help. I found the panel nut and everything I needed by myself with him standing there not looking and finally told him his help would no longer be needed and could he please get me a manager. Why do you need a manager, he asks. Well, so I don't have to keep asking questions and can find and buy my stuff and get the hell out of here. Ok, and he walks off. Wow, so I find some other odds and ends I needed and head for the counter. I am paying and a guy walks up and ask if I needed any help. So I look at him and say, well I did about 30 minutes ago but I am cool now. I just couldn't find everything I am looking for and need to go. He says ok, and turns around to walk off. So, I ask will a 240V water heating element run on 110? He turns and says "smartly" no. So I say, well that is what the other guy said too, only I have read that it just won't run the same, but will work. He looks at me and says it won't even turn on, that 240 is for 240 and 110 is for 110. Wow, frickin morons. So, I am paying for my stuff and the girl ask for my phone number. I don't have a phone. Well I need a number to complete your transaction. For cash I ask? Yes. So, I said maybe we need the manager over here again, because I am paying you cash and you are either going to take it or I am leaving, and amazingly she hands me change and I walk out. WTF???????????????? Oh, and sorry for not typing in all the "", but you get the picture. I hate these wienises, and hope they get exactly what they deserve.

Wow, that's something else. The element won't 'turn on'? It's a giant resistor. It will 'turn on' with a car battery on DC. Once you'd told them you were doing something out of the ordinary, they should have thrown their biases out the window and at the very least showed you where the merchandise was located. They clearly don't know enough to be giving competant advice to tinker types.

Absolutely. It's ohms law. power is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. So a 3000 watt element on 240 volts is about 20 ohms. The same element at 120 volts is 720 watts. A LOT less.

P = E^2 / R

Crappy service aside, they were probably covering their a$$es. If they tell you "go ahead hook the wrong one up" and whatever you're working on catches fire(not that it will) a lawyer could argue that HD gave you poor advice and they're responsible for the damages.

Either way they sound like *****ebags

c.n.budz said:
Crappy service aside, they were probably covering their a$$es. If they tell you "go ahead hook the wrong one up" and whatever you're working on catches fire(not that it will) a lawyer could argue that HD gave you poor advice and they're responsible for the damages.

Either way they sound like *****ebags

I will agree with the cover your a$$ comment, but I require reasons not absolute answers that I have read and researched about countering. It is like someone saying because. I hate that, because why?

It will, just at a quarter of the rating.

for example say there is 20 ohms of resistance across the thing.

240v/20 ohms = 12 amps. 12 amps*240v=2,880 Watts of power
120v/20 ohms = 6 amps. 6 amps*120v=720 Watts of power

That is exactly what I thought. I told him it didn't matter how fast it heated I just needed to maintain a temperature and he told me it wouln't even turn on. I have been doing a lot of WVO research and I was going to go with a low density setup for a kettle at one time (thank God I changed my mind on that). I tried to ask my question with the knowledge that I understood about it having less wattage and he still said it wouldn't work.

I feel your pain, I spent 6 years working at the big orange s*** box, but finally got myself out. I always cringe when I hear those kinds of stories. You nailed it on the head, it is all college kids or old people that don't care. It always sucks when a guy who is there to help you, treats you like a piece of s***.

I think he went about it the wrong way, but he isn't supposed to help you with a project like this. Unfortunately, Home Depot is such a big lawsuit target, that an employee isn't supposed to help you with something that takes a potentially dangerous item, and show you how to use it in something other than it's recommended use. Think about it, what if the old guy showed you how to hook it up, you get home, set it up, and a fire starts and burns your home down. Home Depot can be held liable. It sucks, but that's the world we live it. Now granted, in the hands of people who have half a brain, this is not an issue. The problem is, that someone, somewhere, has done something stupid, and the big corporation needs to protect itself.

The rest of the story of how the people wouldn't help you, is complete BS though.

I completely agree with trying to be safe, but when I asked specifically if it would work just at a lower wattage, the guy lied (or didn't know). All in all, they have never helped me anytime I went there, they point and say over there and then I get over there and have to ask someone else who says "we don't carry that." WTF, then tell me that before I walk over the whole store.

wortmonger said:
That is exactly what I thought. I told him it didn't matter how fast it heated I just needed to maintain a temperature and he told me it wouln't even turn on. I have been doing a lot of WVO research and I was going to go with a low density setup for a kettle at one time (thank God I changed my mind on that). I tried to ask my question with the knowledge that I understood about it having less wattage and he still said it wouldn't work.

Its actually a good idea. I bet a 110v elemt draws a butt load of current. (Just checked, 1500W = ~12 amps). Yeah it isnt as powerfull but you dont have to worry about long extension cords and popping breakers.

The guy didn't know. Unfortunately, there are only a handfull of employees at each store that actually know what they are talking about. Home Depot prefers the part time college student and old guys so they don't have to pay full time benefits. There were so many programs rolled out to eliminate full time employees, just so they could save cash, but at the expense of customer service. They have such a corner on the market, that they know you more likely than not, go back at some point in time.

wortmonger said:
But it will work. I have a 5500W 240V I plan on running at 110V.

Sorry, typo. I meant to say 1250 Watts. As was stated earlier, a quarter of the power.

I hate large hardware stores for all the same reasons...and then some. I usually know EXACTLY what I want, but their "organization" skills usually leave the useful parts nestled right between the latest gimmick and some other garbage no one needs. Or, more likely, what I need is no longer carried by the store because it's a replacement part for something they now warranty through the manufacturer...or "those are old fashioned...we use these sh*tty plastic things now, instead." When I ask for help, I usually get some incompetent idiot who can't even point me in the right direction, or I get the "smart" guy who just "needs" to know all the details of my project (who doesn't understand it no matter how thorough my explanation, and only succeeds in wasting my time). And THEN, when I know what I want and where it is, some "helpful" clerk won't leave me the f*** alone to browse and insists upon trying to "help." Arghhhhhh! I feel your pain.

On principal, I don't like defending the dopes that work at the big box stores but as soon as you say you're planning on doing something unconventional or using the parts contrary to their intended purpose, I wouldn't expect to get advice. Their job is really to help you tackle typical home repair projects. I've worked in a dedicated electrical supply shop and I've begged people to not continue with the projects they describe to me due to their obvious lack of basic electrical knowledge. I can sympathize with both you and the worker you're talking about.

Well, I learned my lesson about lawnmowers this past summer. Never buy any appliance or anything other than screws, paint, etc. They are like Wal-Mart in that they carry the lower standard with the same name. I will always pay more and go somewhere else for anything I can. Their warranty is **** too. The guy in my town that sold Toro quit when HD cam into town, but he is the only service station for them within 75 miles. He wants to quit servicing them because they are not the same Toros he used to sell.

What in the hell are people supposed to do then BobbyM? He can't get into trouble for answering my question honestly, and I wouldn't get mad if he told me he didn't know. The point is he lied or didn't know and needed to keep his mouth shut. Knowledge is just that, knowledge. If you don't have it, don't give it. All I needed was the direction to which the elements were and Old Man A$$hole wanted to think for me. I guess we are coming to an age where if they don't sell it, it can't be done.

Bobby_M said:
On principal, I don't like defending the dopes that work at the big box stores but as soon as you say you're planning on doing something unconventional or using the parts contrary to their intended purpose, I wouldn't expect to get advice. Their job is really to help you tackle typical home repair projects. I've worked in a dedicated electrical supply shop and I've begged people to not continue with the projects they describe to me due to their obvious lack of basic electrical knowledge. I can sympathize with both you and the worker you're talking about.

I agree. I worked in flooring there, and although it is not as serious as an electrical project can be, it is easy for people to mess it up and hurt themselves or others. The main issue here is the fact that the old guy told him it wouldn't work, when he had no clue. Then the old guy decided to be a jerk while the customer was still looking for help.

Yuri, That's all part of Home Depot's marketing and merchandising strategy. Their whole point is to make the customer walk by more items in order to get their attention to buy more items. Sadly, it works. Also, they train the employees to go up and talk to customers and ask those questions. Employees will get "secret shopped" where the company hires people to go in and test the employees. The employees are supposed to ask the questions and try to understand what you are doing, and then recommend products/services that might help you. You might find it annoying, but the employee's job can count on doing well on those secret shops.

wortmonger said:
What in the hell are people supposed to do then BobbyM? He can't get into trouble for answering my question honestly, and I wouldn't get mad if he told me he didn't know. The point is he lied or didn't know and needed to keep his mouth shut. Knowledge is just that, knowledge. If you don't have it, don't give it. All I needed was the direction to which the elements were and Old Man A$$hole wanted to think for me. I guess we are coming to an age where if they don't sell it, it can't be done.

Thats why when I do the oddball unconventional stuff I just Tell the guy I need help finding 'this stuff' and when they ask why. I just tell them this was the list I was given, I dunno. Usually you get what yah need with out any funny looks or dissertations.

It is certainly something I'll miss from the mom and pop hardware stores. These places were never able to stock everything due to space limitations. The old timers that owned the places staked their whole livilihood on making things work and thinking outside the box. The big box places just look for answers to canned questions. Let's face facts. We're not willing to pay the price for what it would take to employ real experts in each department, let alone innovative inventors and engineers. Can you imagine a good plumber quitting a $35/hr job for a third that just to hear a bunch of clueless people asking how to replumb the entire house with no soldering experience.?

Home Depot is great for prices, and selection. They don't have 'everything' but it's nice to be able to get most everything in one place, where as in my little town, you have to go to one hardware store for lumber, and another for electrical/plumbing.

But, Home Depot has always sucked at customer service. They hire anyone off the street, and give them what ever little training they get, and tell them that they are now a subject matter expert..."Come see the professionals" I think is there logo.

When it comes down to it. I have had to pull people aside and give them the correct advise after the Home Depot employees have told them how to burn down their house (refering to electrical work). They get something in there head, and they think it is the ONLY way, and worse they think it applies to everything.

While I try to support my local hardware stores, when I have to pay an extra $60 per roll of electrical wire, and I need 4 rolls. I drive the 150 miles to Home Depot. On the other hand, I've got idiots telling me how to do something wronge at the local hardware stores too, but that's the exception. I still hate Home Depot though.

I had more to say, but after typing all that...which required several shots, and a couple beers, I should probably resrict my postings to the "Drunken Mumblings" section....I probably won't, but I should.:tank: :drunk: :tank:

Bobby_M said:
It is certainly something I'll miss from the mom and pop hardware stores. These places were never able to stock everything due to space limitations.
Funny thing is, when I go to mom & pop stores, more often than not, I come out less than 5 minutes later with exactly what I want. When I go to Home Depot/Lowe's, more often than not, I walk out empty handed and pissed, and go home to place an order on the Internet.

Think globally shop locally.
F- Home depot, and all them box stores.
This is a true testament as to why customer service in America has gone down the crapper.

It really does come down to price over quality. If everyone was willing to pay more for higher quality and better customer service, Walmart and HD wouldn't exist. I mean, I know SOME people are willing to pay more but not the amount that would be required to keep the mom and pop shops in business once most customers defect over.

I always get absolutely terrible service at the local mom-and-pop place. they act like I am a terrible inconvenience and am ruining their day. And their prices are sky high. I only go there when I don't have time to run across town to go to the local Menard's or Fleet farm.

Forget the "cover your ar$e" BS.
I walk in and say "where are the hammers?" Does the staff member need to know what I am building? What colour handle I want? What brand I need, or what I using it for? Ummm, no not really, he just needs to say "aisle 4 at the far end."

If I ask him "Will a hammer work for smashing a window", he reply should be "Yes, but I wouldn't suggest it, you may harm yourself... the hammers are at the far end of aisle 4."

Just answer the question, point me in the right direction and then leave me alone... I'll find you if I have another question.

I think that's pretty simple.... :)

Oh yeah, and when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

i had a problem there when I was running speaker wire. I asked if they had wire rated for in-wall installation. He said no, but you can use standard wire. While I am sure you can, some of my electrician buddies said that if I want to keep it to code, run the in-wall.

MOst of them are has beens that never were

Another reason I hate Home Depot is:

I've bought Husky tools (socket wrench sets, screew drivers, air compressors, etc.) from them, and EVERY f-ing time, they brag about how they have the "same exact warranty as Craftsman" does. I'm not saying that Craftsman tools are much better than any old generic, but they stand behind them. You can walk into ANY Sears with a broken tool, and they'll swap it out for a new one, or if it's discontinued, an equivilent one.

Home Depot on the other hand will ask you for a receipt, and you say, "I don't have a receipt." Then they'll say "Well, how do I know you bought if from here?" Then you say, "I didn't buy it from here, I bought it at a Home Depot in Wyoming." Then they say, "Well, we can't replace it if you didn't buy it here." Then you say, "When I bought it, the guy that sold it to me said that you can just walk in and swap it out for a new one at any Home Depot, just like the Craftsman Warranty." Then she'll say, "Well, without a receipt, how do I know you bought it from a Home Depot?" and you'll say, "Because, Home Depot is the only one that carries Husky Tools." And she'll say, "Well, I don't know about this warranty. I've never hered of it." Then You'll say, " Well, I bet if I go over to the 'tool corral' they'll bragg about the warranty." Then she'l say, "Well, if I don't put a sticker on that broken screew driver in your pocket, then we'll charge you with steeling a screew driver if you carry it into the store."

Oh Fuk, I'm too druk to finish this. The point is they will lie to you about the warrenty, and you'll have to make a big f-ing scene to get a f-ing screew driver replaced, and they guy in the Tool Corral will tell you that it's because Husky hasn't stood behind their warrenty, so Home Depot won't stand behind thier warranty. When you ask about why the guy was just bragging about the warrant (before you showed him your broken tool) he'll say..."just take this replacement and don'nt tell anyone."

I use to do a type of construction work on the road, and I've had this experience at SEVERAL Home Depots.

Jesse17 said:

I've bought Husky tools (socket wrench sets, screew drivers, air compressors, etc.) from them, and EVERY f-ing time, they brag about how they have the "same exact warranty as Craftsman" does. I'm not saying that Craftsman tools are much better than any old generic, but they stand behind them. You can walk into ANY Sears with a broken tool, and they'll swap it out for a new one, or if it's discontinued, an equivilent one.

Home Depot on the other hand will ask you for a receipt, and you say, "I don't have a receipt." Then they'll say "Well, how do I know you bought if from here?" Then you say, "I didn't buy it from here, I bought it at a Home Depot in Wyoming." Then they say, "Well, we can't replace it if you didn't buy it here." Then you say, "When I bought it, the guy that sold it to me said that you can just walk in and swap it out for a new one at any Home Depot, just like the Craftsman Warranty." Then she'll say, "Well, without a receipt, how do I know you bought it from a Home Depot?" and you'll say, "Because, Home Depot is the only one that carries Husky Tools." And she'll say, "Well, I don't know about this warranty. I've never hered of it." Then You'll say, " Well, I bet if I go over to the 'tool corral' they'll bragg about the warranty." Then she'l say, "Well, if I don't put a sticker on that broken screew driver in your pocket, then we'll charge you with steeling a screew driver if you carry it into the store."

Oh Fuk, I'm too druk to finish this. The point is they will lie to you about the warrenty, and you'll have to make a big f-ing scene to get a f-ing screew driver replaced, and they guy in the Tool Corral will tell you that it's because Husky hasn't stood behind their warrenty, so Home Depot won't stand behind thier warranty. When you ask about why the guy was just bragging about the warrant (before you showed him your broken tool) he'll say..."just take this replacement and don'nt tell anyone."

I use to do a type of construction work on the road, and I've had this experience at SEVERAL Home Depots.

+1. Home depot's "lifetime warranty" is ridiculous. Luckily my local Sears carries Klein tools,which I prefer over Craftsman, and they never quibble when I return one.

LOL, man I had no idea...... wait a minute....yes I do, we are all a$$holes and gripe for no reason, LOL. I will never darken their door again. Everything I go in there for is researched before I go in there, I am just under the concept that I can't find what I want before I go in and compare it. I would rather eat a $16 piece of equipment than go to HD or Lowes. I guess maybe I need to draw what I am wanting and ask them for the parts, when the say it wont work, ask them what would. when they say they don't know assume they don't want to help and move on leaving HD and Lowes in the dust.

Fingers said:
Absolutely. It's ohms law. power is equal to voltage squared divided by resistance. So a 3000 watt element on 240 volts is about 20 ohms. The same element at 120 volts is 720 watts. A LOT less.

P = E^2 / R

http://www.sea.siemens.com/step/default.html

P=Power in watts
I=Current in Amps
E=Votage in Volts
R=Resistance in ohms

P=I*E
I=P/E
E=P/I

E=I*R
I=E/R
R=E/I

DRAGGER.....

Jesse17 said:

that's what you get for buying crappy tools though. I don't think I've ever used a husky tool but it goes for any tool not made by a reputable manufacturer. Only time I've ever broken a bone was a finger and because I was using a piece of **** ratchet that decided to break(ratcheting mechanism) when I was torquing on it real hard which ended up smashing my hand into an alternator.

I think all my non-power stuff is a mix of snap-on and craftsman. Maybe an occasional odd or end here and there.

Well Im not quite sure where I stand on this thread but I do think I have something to add here.

I work at a hardware store in Lockport, NY. Its a Value Home Centers for those of you in the area. There a semi large chain. A mom and pa store that expanded basically. There is western New York and northern PA mostly. But you get someone that comes in with a question that you cant always answer. I dont know everything and someone that knows everything about everything is not going to be found working at a hardware store. I AM NOT DEFENDING THE WAY THE STAFF OF HOME DEPOT DEALT WITH THE SITUATION. A question that I cant answer confidently can almost always get answered by someone else. I though HD hired master craftsmen but I dont know for sure. We are lucky enough to have a electrician on staff right now bu thats not always the case. However what every our collective knowedge cant answer we can almost anyways send someone in the right direction.

Wow. Sorry guys Im a little to drunk to be typing this much sorry if this sounds retarded.

But you cant justify terrible customer service for "trying to cover the stores ass". I have talked with people about people projects that were probably not recommended by the experts. Could the store be held liable if they do something retarded on my recommendation? Probably yes. So my response is that is probably not recommended but this alternative might be safer. If they still want to do whatever they were talking about then I will give them my "well if I were doing it that way then Id be careful of this". (Attempting to spare you the details of specific situations.)
But an interesting store about the store I work for. Someone wanted to put a lock on their fridge. The advice from someone that worked for the store was to drill on the side blah blah blah. Long store short they drilled into a coil. Sooooooo. Value Home Centers replaced the fridge for them put a lock on it and apologized for the inconvenience they caused. Bottom line here is you gotta know what you getting when you head to the big orange store.
Also for the record I am a college student. Feel free to assume that I am the typical college student that does not give a sh^t. Sall good. But bad experiences happen. People have bad days. They get worn down by rude people all day yadda yadda yadda. What Im trying to say is...well...I guess it sucks if you dont have a hardware store that is helpful. And Ill probably post again later Im just want to be more sober.

Prost!

There's no excuse for the poor customer service you received. In the future try this something like this:

You: Could you show me where to find these please?
Them: [start asking questions]
You: [politely interrupt] I'm a contractor and I just need to know where they are.
Them: Right this way sir.

Even if you have a strange list they won't bother asking you about it anymore. HD doesn't like contractors so they just want to help you get your stuff and get out. I should probably add that I've only dealt with HD in Canada, might be different attitudes in the US.

Im going to have to disagree. Im pretty sure HD loves contractors. They have a freakin contractors are to pull up and load up their trailers. Maybe they treat them poorly inside but it seems like theyd love the business they give them.

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
Im going to have to disagree. Im pretty sure HD loves contractors. They have a freakin contractors are to pull up and load up their trailers. Maybe they treat them poorly inside but it seems like theyd love the business they give them.
HD loves handyman-type contractors. If they loved real contractors they'd have a lumber desk, a yard and a small army of shippers. A contractor can't waste 2 hours loading up a bunch of self-serve carts and waiting at a cashier behind X number of other carts.

These people suck. They have gone through 3 managers and haven't even been here a year. We only got a HD because we just got a Chili's and Applebee's and we already had a super Wal-Mart (which I haven't been in except 3 times at 2:00am for things no one else carries). This literally is the coldest place I have ever been to in my small little town (HD that is). They don't get much business so they are short staffed. I still can't believe you "have" to give them your number to complete a sale, whatever. I got mine completed anyway. Oh, and they don't ask for your phone number if you use a debit card, I found this out last night talking to a guy that works there, lol.

Just my two cents for what it is worth.
Being a home owner in the middle of a remodel, I am at the local hardware stores all the time, HD, Lowes, and McLendons (local chain), and I find that each is good for something that the other is not.

As to giving them my phone number, I have never once been asked my phone number, much less required to give it to complete a transaction.

Regarding contractors, I don't know about the HD by you, but at my local HD, the contractors call ahead, and it appears that the stuff is picked and ready, and/or shipped to them. All I know is that the "contractor" desk is ALWAYS hopping in that store.

Back