I had my first sick beer last week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICWiener

Reaction score
I was in San Diego for work last week and I picked up a bottle of Fantome Saison (among others) to drink. I cracked it open and poured a glass. It had the viscosity of a slightly watery olive oil. I had some second thoughts, but I wasn't about to throw out a $15 bottle of beer. So I did what I hope any seasoned sour beer drinker would do. I downed that sucker. It wasn't bad! Tasted fantastic, no foam, very odd mouthfeel (obv.) but whatever.

Definitely a different beer drinking experience. I feel like it's something that every sour beer aficionado should do at least once. Anyone else ever had one?

Never encountered a beer like this, actually. If I did, I would definitely be compelled to try at least a sip or two. It sounds pretty gross though, so I doubt I would drink an entire bottle.

Seems like fantome has qc issues. I've heard many stories of bottles that have gone south.

Seems like fantome has qc issues. I've heard many stories of bottles that have gone south.

Fantome definitely has QC issues. but man, it's worth the risk. This bottle would have been fine had I held on to it for a few months...let the pedio go through it's cycle. I've heard of bottles of Duchessic that were the same.

fantome seems really hit or miss even for a brewery dealing with weird bacteria/yeast.

ive had a few things that were absolutely terrible from them and a few things that were incredible. their printemps saison is the best saison ive ever had and convinced me its worth the risk to get fantome if you see it.

Back