I got Apricots, Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoedBrew

Reaction score
Ok So I have 4ish gallons of Orange Blossom honey that has been fermenting about 3 days now, bubbling along. OG 1.130

Yesterday I was able to make a deal at the end of the farmers market for a few pounds of tree ripened apricots!

Couple questions, I don't think I want to turn the whole mead into a Apricot Melomel, but maybe a gallon or 2. How much apricot to Mead should I use?

Also would it be better to peel them and just add the flesh, or should they just be cut up and use the skin?

And would soaking them in Vodka be ok or steam them?

Would you Freeze them first?

Thanks

It won't take much to flavor the mead. I'd say about 1/2 lb. of halved apricots (pits removed) per gallon. I'd halve them with a knife, remove the pits, freeze them overnight and then maybe give them a two minute soak in starsan before pitching to the mead.

Apricot flesh tends to flake off pretty easily when steamed or soaked in alcohol, or just in general. You may have to rack the mead off the flesh prior to bottling.

Thanks for the reply,
You soak fruit in Starsan? I have never tried that...it doesn't impart flavor or anything?

Back