i got a problem...need alittle help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddy711

Reaction score
I made four different batches of mead yesterday and one out of the four is not fermenting yet. it has been close to 19 hours since i pitched the yeast and nothing in the airlock. What i did was rehydrate 8 grams of d47 yeast in go ferm per the sticky notes instructions, i mixed it in about 10 oz of tap water. i used the yeast from the 8 gram packet for two one gallon jugs of joes orange and a 5 gallon carboy of traditional mead. i poured about 30% of the yeast into two one gallon batches of joes, and the remaining 70% into my 5 gallon carboy. my two one gallon carboys of joes are bubbling away nicely, but there is no activity in the 5 gallon batch. there is a bubbly foam on the top of my 3 fermenting batches and none on my non fermenting batch (i take it that is normal). i think i did everything right i also mixed up a 6 gallon batch earlier in the day with 71b and that mead has started bubbling away too, i don't know what is the 5 gallon carboy's problem.

recipe is basic
5 gallon carboy

17.5 lbs of natural clover/wildflower honey

yeast d47

fermaid k and dap about an hour after pitch

original gravity 1.132

target gravity 1.006

questions
why is there no activity in my 5 gallon carboy

i read on here that sometimes it takes a while to kick off the fermentation, but how long is too long when should i be worried

did i pour to much yeast into the joes leaving too little to ferment my 5 gallons.

can i pitch more yeast and if so how soon should i do it

if i can and should pitch more yeast should i put more fermaid k and dap in when i pitch.

i know everyone on here probably gets tired of helping the new folks, but i would really appreciate any input on my situation. thanks for the help

Start worrying after 72 hours with no signs of fermentation.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Home Brew Talk

Latest posts

Back