I got a free tank...Fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusWatab

Reaction score
I recently acquired this stainless tank and thought maybe I could use it as a fermenter. I would bet it to be somewhere around 30-40 gallon capacity. All I could find on it was that it was a "Trim Squirt Accumulator". From what I can find on the web, a trim squirt accumulator was used in the paper-making industry. I really wanted to know what was stored in this tank before I used it for brewing. I found something that explained that this was used to pressurize water and sprayed out at a very high pressure to cut fibers or something. Not exactly sure...

It has a fitting on top (Blow off tube)
Fitting on bottom (collecting yeast)
a fitting about a foot up from bottom (removing fermented wort)
a large opening on front (cleaning)
and a fitting about a foot from top (???)

Any insight as to what this tank was used for would be great and whether or not any of you other homebrewers/nano breweries would consider this to be retrofitted to a fermenter.

Thanks in advance!

photo.jpg

Fermenter2.jpg

Fermenter.jpg

that thing is pretty sweet.. you can give it a good finish to add some bling to your brewing as well.. as long as the inside is in good condition then you can make a great one out of it.. are the fittings (besides the large front opening) threaded at all?

(removing fermented wort)

(...thats what we call 'beer' btw ;) )

nice find though. i would probably get some muriatic acid or some sort of caustic to clean that thing out. how do the welds look on the inside?

All of the fittings are threaded. I was able to look in the inside and take some pics. The problem is that they are not smooth. Otherwise the inside doesn't look too bad. I am thinking it may make a better HLT or Mash Tun (would have to cut the top off) otherwise, as mentioned in a different thread...tip it on its side and keep the large opening on top and make a killer Hop Torpedo! WOW that would be a lot of hops!!

Here is the link to the DIY thread...with interior photos.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/i-got-free-tank-fermenter-283939/

Back