I forgot to turn off the heat & it fermented at 86°F/30°C, what to do now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cval

Reaction score
Seems to be completely done in less than 20hrs, though i didn't take a SG reading. I added yeast at around 9pm last night and today is not bubbling anymore.

There's definitely alcohol in the smell and a ton of amarillo hops. I took it back to 68°C as quickly as I could but the damage seems to be done. Is there any way to help reduce the off-flavors that surely will be there? Am i worrying too much thinking far ahead?

The yeast was Safale US05 and it was rehydrated for over 2 hours before pitching.

Thanks.

I would use a secondary for this one. 2 weeks in primary or at least ensure FG. Then a month or more in secondary. Bottle them and be prepared to wait a long time for the off flavors to mellow. And hope for the best.

In the mean time get another batch started!

I'd imagine you'll have a strong/hot alcohol flavor to the beer. It may be quite fruity too. There's no way to fix it, that I know of.

Thanks for the quick replies. Secondary is a must as I was hoping to dry hop it (all amarillo APA, 1.054OG) for 5 days, I'm just kinda sad that I won't be able to fully taste the amarillo for some time.

I was hoping there was something else besides time in order to fix it :(

Don't forget that you could wait until the week before you decide to finally bottle to dry hop. That way, even though it may be awhile before you get to drink the beer, it will still have a good dry-hopped aroma.

Call up NASA, they might be in the market for some rocket fuel.....

Fermenting that hot will most likely produce fusel alcohol, so it will be strong and hot. Only thing you can do at this point is to let it sit and see what happens.

Back