I finally made a beer my wife likes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB2 HughBHomeBrew

Reaction score
I know others of you out there can identify with this challenge. My wife’s favorite commercial beers are Grolsch and Stella Artois. But she’ll like stouter, darker beers from time to time, like a Vanilla Porter. Some wheat beers, even a Guinness sometimes. My homebrews always seem to be too bitter for her.
Today she sampled the latest version of my “American/Bohemian Lager,” and I finally got a “good!” and a “yes” to the question of “would you drink it again?” :ban:

The winner: "American Lager #5". OG 1.050, FG 1.012 ABV 5.0%. Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager. Northern Brewer and Mandarina Bavaria hops - IBU 11. 2-row American Pale malt and a little Vienna malt and cara-hell malt.

I know others of you out there can identify with this challenge. My wife’s favorite commercial beers are Grolsch and Stella Artois. But she’ll like stouter, darker beers from time to time, like a Vanilla Porter. Some wheat beers, even a Guinness sometimes. My homebrews always seem to be too bitter for her.
Today she sampled the latest version of my “American/Bohemian Lager,” and I finally got a “good!” and a “yes” to the question of “would you drink it again?” :ban:

The winner: "American Lager #5". OG 1.050, FG 1.012 ABV 5.0%. Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager. Northern Brewer and Mandarina Bavaria hops - IBU 11. 2-row American Pale malt and a little Vienna malt and cara-hell malt.
Lucky I do not have this because my wife loves a good beer. But sadly this means 1/2 of everything I brew or buy ends up being hers.... lol

Good stuff man. It's nice when the boss will drink your homebrew, I feel like she's more amenable to me brewing if it's something she'll enjoy drinking. My wife doesn't like the bitter stuff either so I've been making a lot of the hoppy low IBU pale ales and IPAs lately, aka hazy/NEIPA. For the first year or so I was brewing I was making more bitter stuff that she didn't like.

damn, i hate to sound like a loser.....maybe i shouldn't say anything, but i was always happy my staunch non drinking mom would even have a sip of mine...but i loved her, and she was the one that bought me my first homebrew kit....lol

Back