I fermented and lagered in same keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shalenkur

Reaction score
Ive been away from this forum a while, and thought I would share this:
Right now I am drinking a Lager that I fermented and lagered in the same full size sanke keg. This was an experiment. Yeast is still in there and the beer is great! I made it one year ago, moved into my cooler after fermentation and haven't moved it since. My first gallon or so had yeast particles see picture. I think this is a viable practice if you don't have to move the keg around and yeast is allowed to settle undisturbed. I never thought the beer would be this good.

Attachments

• 20221020_192803.jpg
    20221020_192803.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Do you have any corny kegs? If so, get a floating dip tube. I ferment in kegs with a spunding valve and use a floating dip tube. Clear beer and already carbonated. Can't beat that. Of course, if all you have are sanke kegs, I don't know how to help with that.

You could have tapped the first pint or two into mason jars and harvested the yeast for the next batch. That's with a normal dip tube.

If you use a corny with a floating dip tube, you can simply pitch fresh wort once the keg blows. There will be plenty of yeast inside after the keg goes empty after the last pint for a direct wort pitch. And that last pint will be full of yeast as well.

Back