I dumped 14 gallons of beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I dumped 14 gallons of beer today. But hey, at least I kegged 15 gallons.

I dumped 14 gallons of beer today. But hey, at least I kegged 15 gallons.
So sad for your loss, but happy for your recovery! Ed
:mug:

homer cry.jpg

homer beer.jpg

I'm sorry for the loss, what happened. Hopefully the other 15 is good enough to make up for what you dumped.:confused::mug:

I dumped parts of 3 batches in the past 6 weeks. A 3 gallon batch of barleywine that was over a year old and infected, a dopplebock I tried the ferment warm trick on ythat was horribly estery, and a wee heavy that I didn't oxygenate enough and got a stressed fermentation. Oddly enough these were the first beers I'd dumped in years and years and happened here close together.

Dumping beer while never a good thing is a matter of life, even professional brewers are doing it. If you're not dumping now and again you probably aren't trying new things very often or don't brew enough.

My pour outs are usually wine and cider experiments that have gone terribly wrong. But recently I've been on a roll, brewing
some experimental beers that haven't worked out. I salvaged them by blending.
Took a Roggenbier brewed with Mandarina Bavaria hops and too much rye and blended about 60/40 with an all LME rye porter that was underattenuated. Didn't really like either one individually, but the blend is at least drinkable. If I run out of cooler space its going into the compost.

Then I am both happy and sad for you.

Why did you have to dump 14 gallons?

I'm moving out of my house, and I had several carboys of sour beer projects that I needed to migrate to kegs for travel/storage. One 7 gal carboy was all ethyl acetate. Another 7 gal carboy was just not very good. I did have two other 7 gal carboys and a 1 gal jug that were tasty. I have about 9 more gallons that I need to taste and see what their fate is. So, the casualty count could go up. Hopefully not. :)

I had to dump a bunch when I moved too. Ethyl Acetate is a *****. Dumped 11 gallons due to that smell.....

Latest posts

Back