I dont want a stuck sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmurda

Reaction score
Im making a pumpkin ale tomorrow and i am using canned pumpkin. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it with out getting a stuck sparge. Im putting the pumpkin in the mash. If u have ne tips plz share. Thx

Use a strainer bag like the one used for BIAB brewing, if you do get stuck just lift bag a bit and get things flowing again.

sparge SLOOOOOOWWWW and add 1/2 to 1 pound of rice hulls. i had a 1/2 pound of rice hulls in mine and it got stuck one time. no problem i just stirred the mash around my ss braid and it started again. good luck

Rice hulls are a very good idea. Make sure your sparge water is right at 168.
I baked the pumpkin a bit in an oven (cookie-sheet with tinfoil, 350 for an hour) before I mashed it. I I think that helped, as it made it drier, and easier to stir in, not as slimy.

The pumpkin really affects your strike temp. My pumpkin was cold, and brought down the temp a lot, beersmith didn't have a good way to account for that, and I had to add hot water to bring it up.

I didn't have any stuck sparges once I got it started, but my efficiencies were terrible. Hopefully yours goes well.

If you do get one, don't sweat it, try to flow some wort back into the tun by lifting the siphon tube up and down. If all else fails, stir it all back up and re-vorlof.

Good luck.

1lb of rice hulls should work just fine. That is a ton of rice hulls but this should prevent any stuck sparges.

Latest posts

Back