I don't trust my memory, 120v element or 240v

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
It's been a few years since I set up my system and I can't remember if the element I have in my HEX chamber is 120v or 240v.

I know it was originally 240 but it was too long and too close to the temp probe so I replaced it with a shorter one and haven't tested it yet.

If it is 120 volt and I have it wired 240 just like my 5500 watt elements will it pop the breaker or am I overthinking this. I just don't want a disaster on my hands or death!! I'm pretty sure it is 2000 watt and it's on a double pole 20A breaker. It looks exactly like the one below but I'm not home to take a pic of mine. The one in the pic says it's 120 v thus the reason for my question.

image.jpg

Do you have an Ohm-meter or multimeter? If so you can measure an element resistance.
For 240V 2000Watt it should be around 29 Ohm, for 120V 2000 Watt element it's around 7 Ohm.

Do you have an Ohm-meter or multimeter? If so you can measure an element resistance.
For 240V 2000Watt it should be around 29 Ohm, for 120V 2000 Watt element it's around 7 Ohm.

Good call Brumateur! I used the PVC coupling JB Weld method of enclosing the wiring so the terminals aren't accessible. Assuming I complete the test across both legs would 10 ft of 12 ga wire add any resistance? Typing before I think again, with that big of spread I doubt the wire could add that much but better safe then dead.

No, the wire won't add any significant resistance to your measurements.

If it added any significant resistance it would also become a heating appliance as well.

If it is 2000W @ 120V, then if you supply it with 240V, you'll be trying to dump about 34.25 amps (8230W) through it! So, yeah, it'd probably pop the breaker (or the element)...

Even better, tested out at 22 Ohm so that makes it 2500 watt at 240 volt :ban:

Thanks Brumateur, you saved me some bucks!!

Latest posts

Back