I dont think I care about my OG anymore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrewProject said:
DAMMIT !!!

3 brews, 2 broken hydrometers.

I'm gonna have to start taking it a little more easy on mine.

First one I broke was sanitizing for my 2nd brew. Lessons learned on that and cramming more equipment into my sanitizing bucket. it was actually the bottle tree i was pushing down into the solution that did it...

Then last night while on my 3rd brew, the SWMBO and I were sharing kitchen space. i went to clear her a spot on the counter and the hydrometer hit the floor. :mad: Another lesson learned.

glad i had bought two on my last trip to my LHBS.

From now on, I will keep it seperated and protected until i plan on using it.
Why are you sanitizing your hydrometer?

by utahusker: "Why are you sanitizing your hydrometer?"

if you don't have a beer thief, then you need to either sanitize the hydrometer or the hydrometer tube to get a reading, don't you? Instead of getting a sample with the tube (good if you want to taste it, i'll admit), why not just put the hydrometer in the wort itself?

utahusker said:
Why are you sanitizing your hydrometer?

now that i think about it, i assume you are correct.

i do use a hydrometer/taste tube to measure and taste with. so i guess maybe i really don't need to worry about sanitizing either of those items.

thanks, now the hydrometer will just stay in the tube and safely put away, except for the few minutes i actually need to use it. :mug:

desiderata said:
by utahusker: "Why are you sanitizing your hydrometer?"

if you don't have a beer thief, then you need to either sanitize the hydrometer or the hydrometer tube to get a reading, don't you? Instead of getting a sample with the tube (good if you want to taste it, i'll admit), why not just put the hydrometer in the wort itself?

Two reasons:

1. Impossible to do in a carboy, pretty-much. Very difficult to get an accurate reading in an opaque bucket.

2. A much greater sanitation risk: getting a good hydrometer reading in a bucket means getting your fingers very close to the wort. In a carboy it means (at the very least) touching the inside of the neck.

If you don't want to lose the couple ounces it takes to get a reading in the sample tube, then sanitize the tube and the hydrometer and just pour the liquid back in the bucket or carboy when you're done.

Damn! I can't believe I missed this thread. :)

I look at it much like I do using a thermometer to see if my steak is done. I've cooked a lot of steaks, and I don't need a thermometer to tell me when my steak is done. True, I might not cook my steak the exact same way every single time, but I still make a damn good steak every time.

-walker

to all those who are ditching their hydros faster than the femenist movement burned their bras, and to all those who have broken several, and to those who find it a pita to use a hydrometer, why not just spend the $35 and get a refractometer. there are so many advantages of a refractometer over a hydrometer that it makes it well worth the minimal investment

brewhead said:
to all those who are ditching their hydros faster than the femenist movement burned their bras, and to all those who have broken several, and to those who find it a pita to use a hydrometer, why not just spend the $35 and get a refractometer. there are so many advantages of a refractometer over a hydrometer that it makes it well worth the minimal investment

Hang up my $10 device that I hate and buy a $35 device that I will equally hate?

Hmmmmm... give me some time to think about this one.... :)

Back