i dont like mites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackstrat5

Reaction score
So the bottom leaves of the cascades are turning yellow. I've got tiny holes forming in the other leaves and little webs here and there. I had mites last year. What's the best way to keep them under control? I already have cones.

Is soap spray alright to use since I have cones? Or maybe throw some garlic and cayenne pepper in the solution. What's best to use when cones are already on the plant? Thanks everyone!

I noticed some little tiny ittty bitty little @$^#$%ers hanging out on my hops, and the leaves are also starting to turn a little yellow. I am interested as well.
I do plan on actually planting garlic next to the hops.

Forget the pepper and garlic- mites and thrips couldn't care less - maybe works for deer repellent and phat polish girls. It's OK to use safer soap or dish soap up to a week before harvest. You don't want to apply any long residual systemics that are absorbed into the plant. Mites reproduce rapidly - spray your affected plants TWICE a week for THREE weeks to gain control. Look around your yard for possible source plants - they over-winter on plants like conifers (spruce), etc. Dormant oil spray these plants spring /fall; apply soap spray to any other plants within 30' that have mites, too.

The soap sprays don't poison mites- it pysically drowns them; so complete spray coverage of the tops and bottom sides of all leaf surfaces is essential for control.

So I read that conifers are good breeding grounds for mites and may be a source of contamination. My yard has a few pines about 30ft away from the hops... and I'm sure that those are not allowed to be hacked down (GFs house). Soooooo how would I theoretically control mites there??

Since your not gonna eat the pine trees - I would spray them with a systemic like Orthene tree & shrub. Add a little dish soap to act as a surfactant and spray away. No theories here - only solutions.

Back