I Don't Know What I'm Doing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amwarrior15

Reaction score
So, I've been waiting to start brewing for awhile now..like 3 months. Until today, I've gotten everything I need to start (Currently waiting on a chest freezer via sketchy craiglist). Unfortunately, I drank a little too much tonight and was inspired to start now (via drunk partner who is now asleep). Basically, I poured 4 gallons into my 5 gallon pot, steeped (I think) my grains from my Northern Brewer Sierra Madre kit and am now hopelessly waiting for a boil (heating on an electric stove)..help! Thanks!

FWIW, I can hopefully get some temp control tomorrow at the earliest (I have a temp controller, all I need is the freezer). I already rehydrated two packs of dry yeast, and have two more, along with wyeast yeast nurtient). I'm just panicking right now because I can't get a good boil.

Got a boil...added all the DME and some of the LME...now waiting for a boil again to start the hop additions and the rest of the LME...

I think you'll be fine regardless . You may want to swamp cool if you don't have a cool enough spot. The first three to four days maintaining temps are the most important.

I'm planning on swamp cooling soon (wort is ice bathing right now) and hopefully i'll have some permanent temp control setup by the end of the day..prob just worried bc that was my first brew..def planning on waiting until the temp control is setup before i start on the dead ringer thats waiting

Lesson #1 in homebrewing: don't get drunk while you're brewing.

I guess that should be amended for you: don't get drunk BEFORE you start brewing.

You might want to look into a decent propane burner so you can hit a full boil. Not too big of a deal for extract brewing, but youll HAVE to hit a full boil if you want to do all-grain. Bayou Classic burners are priced good and work great.

It's funny, but your mistakes will be remembered long after you successes are forgotten. I don't know what I'm doing either. but at 65 have racked up a sh*t load of "happy mistakes". And will most likely die with a :D on my face.

Just for an update...just took a wine thief to the drunken mistake...good fg reading and the it tasted just like SNPA

Back