I don't know how to keg because I'm so stupid.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddroukas

Reaction score
I just kegged my first batch tonight and I feel like a new woman. My question is this: to achieve 2.7 volumes of CO2 at 50 degrees Fahrenheit I need about 20 PSI. OK. For serving I read ~ 9-10 PSI. Alright. Query: How long do I keep the keg at 20 PSI? Should I bleed pressure and refill to 10 PSI for serving? Someone hold my hand through this. It's so scary. I'm shaking.

-love always, with all my heart...
-daniel dimitri droukas.

20 psi for two-three days, shaking it once a day. After that, purge the head space (That means, pull the pressure relief for 5-6 seconds letting all the CO2 out)
then set it to serving pressure.

I force carbed mine tuesday night and tonight it is pretty good, doing the same thing that clutch said. It needs a little more carbonation and it's a little green but if you shake it while you count to 100 the first night and set it at 20 psi and shake it once a day to let the CO2 absorb you should be alright come day three you should be alright. Just do what clutch said and adjust the psi to the serving pressure that you like. Don't worry, you'll be alright!

ddroukas said:
My question is this: to achieve 2.7 volumes of CO2 at 50 degrees Fahrenheit I need about 20 PSI. OK. For serving I read ~ 9-10 PSI. Alright. Query: How long do I keep the keg at 20 PSI? Should I bleed pressure and refill to 10 PSI for serving? Someone hold my hand through this. It's so scary. I'm shaking.
You're quoting numbers from the Carbonation Chart. Those numbers are for holding pressure for 1 week. Don't bleed off, after one week just lower the regulator to the desired drinking pressure.

Good luck,
Wild

The short answer is; Until the keg is empty. There's no such distinction between carbing pressure and serving pressure. If you acheive 2.7 volumes at 50F and 20psi, and drop it down to 10psi later, you will eventually decarb it down to 1.9 volumes. It's pure physics no matter how many people will tell you they don't see that happening in practice. If it doesn't appear to happen, there are a few reasons.

1. You never reached the original volumes you were shooting for so the equilized volumes at the new serving pressure doesn't seem flat in comparison.

2. You drank the beer so fast that it didn't have time to flatten.

Anyway, if you like 2.7 volumes and it takes 20psi to get there, just get yourself 12 feet of 3/16" ID serving line and call it a day.

I agree with Bobby on how to serve, the "set and forget" method works just fine, gives your beer another week to age and then you keep the same carb level throughout. The 10-12 PSI figure is for the people that are serving down in the upper 30s low 40s I think. Since you are up at 50 you need to use the carbonation chart(which you already did) to figure out the pressure you need. Now just get the proper amount of 3/16" tubing to balance that 20PSI out and you will be serving correctly carbed beer for the entire keg.

Bobby M is correct. Size the out to tap lines so that you get the perfect (or so) 1 PSI at the tap for a perfect pour. There are links to charts and math formulas in the kegging sticky.

Set and forget... +2

I rarely ever change my pressure between sitting in the kegerator for the first time and tapping the last pint... If I want 2.4 volumes at 42F, I set it to around 12F, wait 3 weeks until carbed, drink until keg is empty. No need to use a different "serving pressure" unless your system isn't well balanced...

Only time I'll change PSI, is if I'll do 25-30psi for 2 days to get it carbing faster, but then I drop to desired carb level (normally 10 PSI for english ales or stouts, 12 for most ales, 14-15 for wheats or some belgians) I drop to that level and leave it there for preservation of that carb level and serving.

EDIT: I should note I have 10ft of 3/16" ID beer line on each of my taps and I can pour anything and everything (realistically I've only ever tried pulling from it between 8-16psi at 42F - but thats pretty much all ales I'll ever put on tap) without foaming or too slow of a pull...

Back