I don't have beer smith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can I adjust a recipe for my efficiency?

Given the price of BeerSmith and the effort required to download and install it and your overall investment in home brewing, I cannot imagine a reason why you would not purchase it. Just go get it. You will be happy you did.

How can I adjust a recipe for my efficiency?

I tried to figure out of there was a percentage of grain increase used when lowering efficiency. There doesn't seem to be an easy method as my results varied by recipe it seemed. Basically, the headache isn't worth it and buying beer smith or a like application would help.

Try Brewtarget. It's a free, open source alternative to Beersmith.

If you don't want to use brewing software, like BeerSmith or the free and open source BrewTarget, then I'd suggest using math. Your efficiency is just a ratio, so if your recipe has 37.5% efficiency (terrible but I'm too lazy to do more complex math in my head) and you normally get 75% efficiency, then you would take 37.5 / 75 = .5, 0.5 is now your multiplier. Take your grain quantities and work accordingly. If you had 1 lb of white wheat, you would now add 8 ounces instead.

If you don't want to use brewing software, like BeerSmith or the free and open source BrewTarget, then I'd suggest using math. Your efficiency is just a ratio, so if your recipe has 37.5% efficiency (terrible but I'm too lazy to do more complex math in my head) and you normally get 75% efficiency, then you would take 37.5 / 75 = .5, 0.5 is now your multiplier. Take your grain quantities and work accordingly. If you had 1 lb of white wheat, you would now add 8 ounces instead.

Wouldn't the multiplier be 75/37.5 = 2.0 ? That is, it takes twice the grain bill to get the same OG?

Anyway, buy (insignificant price) BeerSmith. You will get more than you pay for and you will support a huge contributor to home brewing.

I wouldn't want to live in a world where I couldn't use BeerSmith to brew. Spend the $20. You'll be glad you did.

Edit: I believe you can download it and trial it for 21 days with full functionality before you have to buy it.

Thanks everyone the thing is I don't have a debit or credit card. I pay strictly In cash I wasn't the most responsible person and this keeps me in check. I did download the trial and I'll try and get a family member to purchase it for me and I'll give them cash.

Thanks everyone the thing is I don't have a debit or credit card. I pay strictly In cash I wasn't the most responsible person and this keeps me in check. I did download the trial and I'll try and get a family member to purchase it for me and I'll give them cash.

Understandable. You can always buy a pre-paid visa gift card and use that. Farmhouse Brewing has BS for $19.99.

Wouldn't the multiplier be 75/37.5 = 2.0 ? That is, it takes twice the grain bill to get the same OG?

Anyway, buy (insignificant price) BeerSmith. You will get more than you pay for and you will support a huge contributor to home brewing.

Nope, I said the recipe was 37.5 efficient, and the brewer has 75% efficiency, which means that the brewer would need to use half the grain specified in the lower efficiency recipe.

Brewers Friend is a decent substitute and I'd definitely use it if it's all I had available, but it doesn't come close to BS2 in functionality. With that said, it would work fine for what the OP was asking for.

Are you trying to replicate a recipe that has a different efficiency than your system? If so... What is the recipes og, batch size and efficiency stated and what is your systems efficiency? Also the original grain bill on the recipe?

Looks like 21 lbs of the 2 row, 2.6 lbs of the Amber, 1.64 lbs of the barley and .64 lbs of the black will get you really close to that beer... As long as you are making a 5.5 gal batch.

Looks like 21 lbs of the 2 row, 2.6 lbs of the Amber, 1.64 lbs of the barley and .64 lbs of the black will get you really close to that beer... As long as you are making a 5.5 gal batch.

Great thank you man!!!

Check with your local homebrew shop they might sell the beersmith disk which you could pay cash for

Back