I can't believe I broke my thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
Here I am, warming up the honey and lemonade mixture for a second batch of light lemonade mead and I notice that my thermometer is floating lengthwise in my mixture... I remove the thermometer and realize the damn thing broke in the mead.

We were able to filter out the little black balls that weigh the thermometer down but we are going to filter through a coffee filter when we transfer the mixture to secondary...

Anywho, does anyone have any suggestions for good thermometers that are not made of glass? I am thinking of going digital this time around to keep this from happening again...

I am open to all suggestions! Thanks!

I have used the Walmart simple 15 .00 digital thermometer's, the ones that work in the oven with the timer. There is one caution, you need to seal the temp probe with silicon caulk where the metal meets the silicon tubing\wire. If you let wort inside the probe it will rune the probe.

I lost an entire batch of dark stout after mine shattered while stirring the cooling wort...realistically (after posting an "OMG help me!" thread), there's no safe way to strain 100% of the metal beads & glass shards out, so I wound up dumping the batch and starting over again. (The batch then proceeded to oxidize and turn into a rancid, Zinfandel-esque stout...wasn't too happy either way. :p)

I talked about it with my LHBS guy, and he said the exact same thing happened with his first glass thermometer, and after getting a metal meat probe thermometer, he hasn't gone back to glass since. You should be able to find one on most online homebrew sites-some even come with clips that attach the probe to the side of your kettle.

Looks like it might be time for another:

IF YOU HAVE A GLASS THERMOMETER, THROW IT AWAY

threads.

Thanks!!!

I am headed out to Fry's Electronics for a digital thermometer.... Any excuse to go to Fry's Electronics (Geek's Paradise!)

I should have paid attention. I have been brewing for 3 years and this is the first time I have had a thermometer break! I should pick up a spare hydrometer when I head back to the LHBS just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back