I Brewed Malt Liquor! Damn!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trizzant

Reaction score
As I sit her enjoying a mug of raspberry wheat I created I just can't help thinking I want to dump my first batch. This raspberry wheat is truly great. I followed the advice from this forum and had patience. I would put it head to head with Purple Haze any day. So, at least I can brew a good beer that I like.

My first batch however is sitting next to the raspberry wheat in a corny keg. I only have room for two kegs and my next batch will be ready Sunday. So I am contemplating dumping about 3gl of beer. It is an "Arizona IPA" purchased at my lhbs with the following 5gl recipe:

7 lbs Lt DME
.75 lb Crystal Malt (Grain)
.25 lb Flaked Barley
2 oz Centennial Hops
1 oz Kent Goldings
1 pk Nottingham Dry

The only variation to the recipe was 1 oz of cascade hops added continually during the 60min boil. I guess I thought I was Sam from DFH or something.

Everything went well during brew day, the only mistake I made was that I only bought 5gl of water and I did not account for the boil off. I ended up with 4-4.5gl in the 6.5 carboy. In hindsight I should have just topped it off with tap water but I didn't. OG was within 2 or 3 points of the recipe.

Early the next day my wife went to put the baby down and noticed the water had drained from the bathtub and the temp on the carboy was 79. She said this only lasted 1 or 2 hours max since she had checked it in the morning. This happened during the peak fermentation. She got temp back down to 72 and it stayed pretty much 70-72 for two weeks.

After two weeks I was impatient and racked to a 5gl carboy and kept it at 70-72 for about a week before kegging. I force pressured it and in 2 days had my first pint. At the time I thought it was wonderful. However I was already drunk and not really a good judge at that moment. The next day I tasted it sober and it could taste an alcohol taste that I normally don't taste it beer. It was bearable for about half a pint before I just poured it down the drain. It also gave me quite a buzz and I not looking to black out, that's why I drink beer only. (Taking a sip of my raspberry wheat, mmmm)

I keep it at around 38 for about a week and it still has the same taste. So I took it out of the freezer and let it set in the keg at 70-72 for another two weeks.

Then last week my in-laws flew in from the mountains of North Carolina and my father-in-law wanted to try my beer. The raspberry wheat was still in the secondary and there was NO WAY I was going to rush it.

I chilled and recarbed it for a couple of days then poured him a pint of the IPA. He loved it. As I was trying to describe the taste I was getting he said, "Ya know, it kinda taste like Colt 45". I literally LOL and he kept drinking it. I haven't had OE since high school and I'd like to keep it that way.

Now it's a week later and I tried it again just now and it tastes exactly the same. So, should I dump the 2-3gl left so I can reuse the keg for my patiently brewed IPA I'm racking on Sunday. Or should I take it out of the freezer again, let it sit for 2-50 months, and buy another corney for the rack on Sunday. I hate to spend the extra $30 when I don't really need it but I also don't want to be the guy who dumped his first batch. Thanks for taking the time to read and helping me in my decision.

Also, do you think it was the 79 degrees for 2 hours that did it, or racking too soon, or not accounting for the boil off, or all of the above?

I think this falls under the category of "sh*t happens"...

To dump, or not to dump? That is your question... Sorry, couldn't resist...

If you think it has decent flavors and just needs to mellow out some, let it age. I would store/age it someplace cool though, like as close to the mid 50's (or lower) as you can. Sample it after a couple of months and see what's happening with it.

I would advise tasting anything you've brewed before you bottle/keg it in the future. That way you can give the batch more time if needed.

If you have the room for it, think about building a fermentation chamber... That way you won't need to worry about this so much moving forward...

I've not used that yeast, nor experienced that much of a thermal shift in a batch to say if that's what did it or not.. I'm sure someone on here has, and will post up soon enough.

The 70-72 degrees average is what did it. That is going to produce a lot of those strong alcohol flavors and esters. You want it to be down in the low-mid 60's depending on the strain. That is unless you are brewing a Belgian, which is another story for another day.

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer... Most of my brews ferment in the mid 60's or lower...

Think this is a good reason for the previously mentioned fermentation chamber build... :D I say you get another freezer for your kegs, and use the one you have now as a ferm. chamber...

I'm still a noob and have only been brewing for a year and a half. Every beer thy I have made that fermented over 75 had a really nasty alcohol taste to it. Well I have had 1 or 2 dark batches that came out ok. I live in phx Az so when it gets hot here I try a run the ac as much as I can and keep a wet t shirt on it and some times that just doesn't do the trick. But now I have a kegerator so I can keep it to 65. I wouldn't dump it because that would be alcohol abuse. Lol. Well sorry for mumbling off and not having a clue what I'm talking about. I have ben drinking my arrogant bastard clone that I just finishes and I'm a little buzunked. Aka half buzzed half drunk I guess I just made it up. Ok I need to shut up now8 I'm sorry.

I always figured the temp did it. However my second batch stayed at 70-72 the entire time and there are no off flavors at all. The batch now has a tshirt over it in the tub and it stays around 68-70. I need a used fridge or freezer off craigslist.

Stockspeed, drink up man. You need to hydrate in the desert :mug:

I personally wouldn't dump it. I would like to see how it ages regardless of how bad you think it is now, just to see what I can learn. Hey! it's your first brew AND somebody likes it :rockin: I know... I know... malt liquor :(

I wouldn't like to tie up a corny with it though, maybe you can get some bottles and transfer from the corny? BMBF comes to mind.

Back