I blame this forum!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbrewsathome

Reaction score
Years ago I posted my system build in the automated brewing category, after ruining my wife's kitchen I thought a full out automated rig would be the way to go. As my system came together I could not at first afford electric valves etc. so I used manual valves and got to the point when I suddenly realized this thing will make beer! It never got electric valves and has brewed hundreds of beers since. But the build was great and this spring it was time for something new, so I started over in the upstairs from the old brewery still in my shop. This time no automation because I had shown myself it was beer I wanted! Here's some pics of what reading to late into the night on this forum gets you into.

DSC_4263.jpg

DSC_4833.jpg

DSC_4839.jpg

DSC_4840.jpg

DSC_4856.jpg

DSC_4871.jpg

DSC_5076.jpg

DSC_5081.jpg

DSC_5226.jpg

DSC_5302.jpg

DSC_5362.jpg

Those tanks looks like something from NASA, BLING! I wanted to say that that control panel looks sweet, but then I saw the rest of the pics and everything looks sweet! This is amazing.

Beautiful setup you have there!

I am happy to know who I can now blame when this happens to me some day, thank you.

Heres some pics of the condensate stack as well as the soap tanks I started with and hop back I'm building. This is 4 years of home brew and dreaming although admittedly with a future dream of going pro! But for now I'll continue to feed family and friends! The system is approximately 1.5bbl.

DSC_5476.jpg

DSC_5477.jpg

DSC_5478.jpg

DSC_5479.jpg

DSC_5480.jpg

DSC_5482.jpg

DSC_5483.jpg

DSC_2372.jpg

DSC_2663.jpg

Thats INSANE!

So the condensate stack is just a pipe with a mister and a drain? It doesn't vent anywhere, just turns the steam back to liquid with the mister, correct? Is there any pressure equalization needed?

Thats INSANE!

So the condensate stack is just a pipe with a mister and a drain? It doesn't vent anywhere, just turns the steam back to liquid with the mister, correct? Is there any pressure equalization needed?

It looks a lot like the one I just ordered with my 3 bbl brewery... I did not think it used any mister... I thought the steam just collected to condensate in the pipe like a how a Still works? the remaining hot air exits out the hole in the top..

This "home" brewery is amazing btw.... as someone whos "going pro" with a 3 bbl nano I'm jealous of what you've accomplished.

Condensate stack fit in BK.jpg

Ya but he has no "hole at the top".

I ask because I have been playing with a system to eliminate steam from my brewery. I brew in my garage, but like to brew in the evening and in FL with the door open at dusk, the 'squitoes are a PITA. Closing the door makes it a steam room during the boil.

Honestly, I think a solution like this can save the headaches that so many indoor brewers have installing an overhead vent system. Condensing steam back to water with a mister can be super easy, use very little water, and require no venting (just a drain). Water expands/contracts ~1600x on phase change, so an ongoing volume of condensing steam should create a vacuum to pull more out of the boil kettle.

I am testing this by adding a TC port to the very top of the BK, and with a TC tee, adding a conical mister spraying water down from the top of the tee, then placing a drain tube at the bottom of the tee. Hoping it works!

I did start with a design like augiedog suggests but then saw a candie cane shaped one with a mister from stout tanks and thought I'd give it a try, it works pretty good but I think I will add more length and misters to chill it quicker, that hose to the drain is 1" id and I think that is key! Thanks a million augie its been a lot of work but now its brew time! LarMoeCur there are two rental units on my farm!! You may have to pick hops and brew beer though, and it gets cold up here for six months!! Milldoggy I think thats unfair cause over the years theres tons of posts that I am still jealous of! Cheers

My takeaway from this thread (besides I don't have enough acres in my farm and sqft in my garage): I need a mig/tig/whatever it takes to make stuff outta SS. This is a hole I've gone down many times before, and here we go again.

That is an amazing brewery. It's nicer than many pro breweries I have been to. I wish I had the space to do something like that, but I'm getting there slowly. I completely agree on blaming the forum. This forum took me from stovetop to my current in progress electric 1bbl build.

Back