I am whining... Give me some good news for Sunday!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r2eng

Reaction score
64F today at Waldport, OR. with a steady breeze, sitting 20 ft from the surf. Grilling tenderloin, HOTD Blue Dot gone, Stone 10th Ann. Ruination on it's last quaff...

...heading to a 104F Boise in the morning.

Yes, I am bitchin', let's hear some GOOD NEWS that I can read tomorrow night when I am roasting in Boise. PLEASE!

It was 107F in Dallas last week. I am spending all weekend and all week studying for a labor law exam on Thursday. So yeah, you're having an awesome night but I'm studying about Boys Market injunctions.

So your time in Boise won't be that bad.

It was 100F + for the last 5-6 days here (only supposed to be 90 for the next 4 Woohoo) and I don't work in the a/c!

Ill take 64 and beer! :drunk:

Well, I'm in eastern Ohio right now. The good news is it's only supposed to be 89 today, after 100 yesterday.

Of course, Yoopers don't do hot very well. Even a cooler 89 will probably kill me. :drunk:

...heading to a 104F Boise in the morning.

Hey - it's a dry heat, so no problem - quit yer bitchin'.

I'll tell you what hot is. Many years ago, when I was in college in Houston, I had a summer job there, working midnight shift and sleeping during the day. I lived in an old house with no A/C. Yep, Houston, summer, no A/C. Had a big box fan in the window two feet from my bed going full blast while I slept. Now that's hot! So Boise aint' nothin'.

:)

Most bs thing i heard while living in the Mojave. At least its a dry heat.

Yeah, you folks in the Midwest deserve to complain more than I... Boise was 27% humidity. I should stop complaining. At least I had 10 days of heaven!

Gawd I'm a whiner... must be my age.

On Saturday it was 105 here and unbelievably humid, with the heat index "feels like" factor allegedly above 115. My folks live in Boise, and they're complaining about the heat there. Perhaps some of my other family in Tuscon have something complain about, but the rest of ya, stop whining :p

SE Florida is pretty consistent this time of year - 90-ish with an ocean breeze where I live. Honestly, if it weren't for the ocean here I'd split and head to Oregon too. Love it out there, it makes incorporated Palm Beach County feel like a trailer park. But launching my little skiff with the kids (and wife when I can cajole her along) makes it feel like heaven here.

When I first moved here, I thought Florida was flat and boring. Then one day I was driving across the middle of the state with a guy that knew Florida. I mean KNEW Florida - as in how the fauna, soil color and other little tidbits of the real world tuned him in to what was here. "See how that soil is sort of grey/brown on the left of the road but it is almost white on the right? On the right, it is about 98% silicone, and maybe six inches higher elevation. Over on the left where that soil blew away and it is six inches lower, you notice the plants are different? They have water for about 3 months more than over there..." etc, etc. What I realized was that Florida has mountains, but they are just squished. Six inches makes an entirely different ecosystem, from plants to bugs to other critters.

Point is, there is beauty everywhere but when your mind's eye is entrenched in a particular vision, you tend to miss the beauty at your fingertips. And by "you" I mean "me."

**** this last batch of 2xIPA is stronger that I thought...

I never really understood the logic behind "dry heat". Sure, the air might be dry, but I'm sweating through my shirt, socks and boxers. Also, in the time it takes for me to walk 3 blocks to the drug store and 3 blocks back, suddenly my manly parts have fallen in love with my left thigh, so I'm carrying a bag of beef jerky, shampoo and nail polish remover doing a little hop-skip-skimmy move for half a block. When I noticed someone staring I had a choice... pretend to be cognitively disabled/a head trauma victim, or somehow make it known I was trying to dislodge my 'cules from my leg. Of course I chose the former. I'll have to check with Airborne on this one, but I'm pretty sure its legal to pretend to be mentally handicapped, while its generally frowned upon in a legal sense to point to your dangly bits in public.

So yeah, dry heat my foot.

creamygoodness said:
i never really understood the logic behind "dry heat". Sure, the air might be dry, but i'm sweating through my shirt, socks and boxers. Also, in the time it takes for me to walk 3 blocks to the drug store and 3 blocks back, suddenly my manly parts have fallen in love with my left thigh, so i'm carrying a bag of beef jerky, shampoo and nail polish remover doing a little hop-skip-skimmy move for half a block. When i noticed someone staring i had a choice... Pretend to be cognitively disabled/a head trauma victim, or somehow make it known i was trying to dislodge my 'cules from my leg. Of course i chose the former. I'll have to check with airborne on this one, but i'm pretty sure its legal to pretend to be mentally handicapped, while its generally frowned upon in a legal sense to point to your dangly bits in public.

+1000000000000

CreamyGoodness said:
I never really understood the logic behind "dry heat". Sure, the air might be dry, but I'm sweating through my shirt, socks and boxers. Also, in the time it takes for me to walk 3 blocks to the drug store and 3 blocks back, suddenly my manly parts have fallen in love with my left thigh, so I'm carrying a bag of beef jerky, shampoo and nail polish remover doing a little hop-skip-skimmy move for half a block. When I noticed someone staring I had a choice... pretend to be cognitively disabled/a head trauma victim, or somehow make it known I was trying to dislodge my 'cules from my leg. Of course I chose the former. I'll have to check with Airborne on this one, but I'm pretty sure its legal to pretend to be mentally handicapped, while its generally frowned upon in a legal sense to point to your dangly bits in public.

Moisture in the air retains and conducts its heat more then dry air. You absorb it faster. Shade is less effective. Sweating cools you down more effectively in lower humidity. Dry heat still sucks, but I'll take 110 in Arizona over 100 on the southern East coast any day. Why do you think so many people use swamp coolers? The same general physics principle.

Its not the fact that humidity makes the heat worse. Its people trying to make you feel better about how hot it is by saying at least its a dry heat. That doesnt make me feel any less like im staring into a blow dryer.

Punity said:
Its not the fact that humidity makes the heat worse. Its people trying to make you feel better about how hot it is by saying at least its a dry heat. That doesnt make me feel any less like im staring into a blow dryer.

Yeah, I usually find the "it could be worse" response of little practical use under most circumstances.

I'm contemplating moving to Fairbanks. SWMBO thinks I'm joking. I'm not.

Back