I am making hooch...need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaunRambo

Reaction score
I used 100% apple juice plastic bottle with baking yeast and 100g sugar. I left the lid slightly loose to let the gas out.

Now, I know the recommended fermentation time is 2 weeks...its been 1 week..I am getting impatient..5-7% ABV is good enough for me..

Now I have some questions.

- What is the final step to make it drinkable (stop fermentation, removing yeast etc)?
- Risk of infections because the lid was loose?
- Methanol Poisoning?

Thanks.

Last edited:
1- drink it
2-LOL, if your making cider in a jug, that's funny.....it won't be anything that tastes too bad....i'm drinking some cider now that the lid wasn't air tight, tastes a bit like brown apple....
3- no

if you want it carbd i'd say look up a carb calc and add appropriate sugar tighten lid wait another week.....

i've just dumpped 10 gallons of apple juice in a storage tote added bakers yeast, and drank it flat from a pitcher......not to bad, but much better cold....

Last edited:
1- drink it
2-LOL, if your making cider in a jug, that's funny.....it won't be anything that tastes too bad....i'm drinking some cider now that the lid wasn't air tight, tastes a bit like brown apple....
3- no

if you want it carbd i'd say look up a carb calc and add appropriate sugar tighten lid wait another week.....

i've just dumpped 10 gallons of apple juice in a storage tote added bakers yeast, and drank it flat from a pitcher......not to bad, but much better cold....

Drink it with active yeast and all the crap at the bottom?

Back