I am at a loss...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boucheman414

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am at a loss.. Okay, let me give you the rundown.

I started a batch over the summer. It is a solid blueberry wine from 4 blueberry bushes that we have in the yard. It took me about 2 years to get enough as the bushes themselves are quite old and the production on them has been slowing down due to weather, age, and other factors unknown to me.

Anyways, I finally got about 18-19lbs of blueberries stored in the freezer and decided last April-May to start my batch. The batch went off without a hitch. Everything went good until about a month ago when I racked it. I racked the batch and decided to pull out about 3 bottles worth to try and see how it taste raw, with sugar added, cold, etc... Right off the bat I noticed an off smell. A "rotten egg" smell.. Sulfur like smell.. So, I searched the internet high and low for an answer to why my wine smelled like this and how I could fix it. I finally found out that it had something to do with the sulfite content which is weird because I didn't add any more sulfites than I should have but I guess somewhere alone the line I messed up. However, after some methods I picked up from the site I was reading(from THIS WEBSITE{under "here's what we recommend you do"} portion about how to fix the problem) I think I have it taken care of. I racked it about 4-5 times in a row making sure to aerate. Then I waited a day or two then siphoned it through a tube that had some copper inside of it(it was one of the suggestions on how to fix it). I took some copper coated 16 gauge wire and stripped it and wrapped the wire around a cylinder small enough to fit into my siphoning tube then siphoned the wine through. Then, I waited a day then filtered it using a Brita filter that I broke open and took the contents out and wrapped in cheese cloth and put into a makeshift container with small holes punched into the bottom of it... By the way, if you haven't noticed, I don't have the money to spend on $200-$300 wine filtering machines haha, so I did what I could do.

So, after a day or so, the sulfur smell is gone and the off taste is gone. YAY! I fixed it. Now, I will get to the thing that I am lost on. I have been trying to decided how to stabilize the batch so that it can be back sweetened. It has a good taste to it now but it is a little dry for my liking. So I want to sweeten it a bit but I am afraid if I add any more sugar it will begin fermenting again. Now, I have a bag of potassium sorbate and a bottle of campden tablets(*potassium* metabisulfite) on hand and I was going to use these to inhibit any more fermentation. But the more stuff I read online the more I am freaked out about using these.

So here is what I want to know. By using the methods I mentioned earlier to get rid of the sulfur smell have I killed all of the yeast? If not, what would be the best method to stabilize for back sweetening? I can tell you some of the readings that I have gotten from my measurements: The pH is 3.2(as tested with
KG2844-pH-2.8-4.4.jpg
these test strips.
With an acid test kit I got a reading of .48% Tartaric or 3.04 ppt sulfuric.
The SG was at .990(@75*F ~.992)
And the ABV as tested with the Vinometer was ~10%

So, with all of this information, what is the next step? Should I use the stabilizers mentioned earlier before I back sweeten? Or should I wait or.... What should I do next?

Thanks in advance for your help! And also Thanks for helping me in the past and running such a well ordered forum! These are the best! This is the only place I come to with questions because I know I am getting quality information!

The smell you encountered sounds like H2S- from stressed yeast, not from added sulfites. It sounds like you fixed it now, but be sure to use sulfites (not the same thing as the smell!) to help prevent oxidation. Sulfites are used to protect the wine from microbes, as well as an antioxidant since sulfites bind with the wine so oxygen can't. They dissipate with time, so they are typically readded at every other racking and at bottling.

To sweeten the wine, use sulfites (in the form of powdered k-meta or campden tablets) in the amount of one campden tablet per gallon or 1/4 teaspoon of the powder for 6 gallons, and also 1/2 teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon. Dissolve those in 1 cup of boiling water, stirring well to dissolve and add that the the clear wine. Wait a day or two, and then sweeten the wine. Wait about three days after sweetening before bottling, to ensure fermentation doesn't restart, or you can let it sit in the carboy for longer if you want to. Just make sure it's always topped up.

Hopefully, the splashing/aerating/filtering thing didn't oxidize the wine too badly, but not much you can do about it now. I would have done it differently, to get rid of the H2S, but not oxidize the wine.

The smell you encountered sounds like H2S- from stressed yeast, not from added sulfites. It sounds like you fixed it now, but be sure to use sulfites (not the same thing as the smell!) to help prevent oxidation. Sulfites are used to protect the wine from microbes, as well as an antioxidant since sulfites bind with the wine so oxygen can't. They dissipate with time, so they are typically readded at every other racking and at bottling.

To sweeten the wine, use sulfites (in the form of powdered k-meta or campden tablets) in the amount of one campden tablet per gallon or 1/4 teaspoon of the powder for 6 gallons, and also 1/2 teaspoon of potassium sorbate per gallon. Dissolve those in 1 cup of boiling water, stirring well to dissolve and add that the the clear wine. Wait a day or two, and then sweeten the wine. Wait about three days after sweetening before bottling, to ensure fermentation doesn't restart, or you can let it sit in the carboy for longer if you want to. Just make sure it's always topped up.

Hopefully, the splashing/aerating/filtering thing didn't oxidize the wine too badly, but not much you can do about it now. I would have done it differently, to get rid of the H2S, but not oxidize the wine.

Okay. That was mostly what I read was to use Camden and K sorbate to stabilize it and wait a couple of days to sweeten it, then a couple more before bottling. So thanks for clearing that up.

Couple of questions though. Should I go ahead and add 6 crushed campden tablets now before any further oxidation occurs? And what would you have done differently to get rid of the H2S? Just out of curiousity. Also, thanks for the swift post!:)

Okay. That was mostly what I read was to use Camden and K sorbate to stabilize it and wait a couple of days to sweeten it, then a couple more before bottling. So thanks for clearing that up.

Couple of questions though. Should I go ahead and add 6 crushed campden tablets now before any further oxidation occurs? And what would you have done differently to get rid of the H2S? Just out of curiousity. Also, thanks for the swift post!:)

I might have done the "splash racking" or even added some copper briefly- but NO way would I have strained/filtered and oxidized it. I would splash rack first, then sulfite right away, to see if that fixed it. Then moved on to more extraneous measures. I would never have put it through the Brita, racked through the tubing, etc. But it's done now, and hopefully the wine was young enough and filled with enough c02 that it will be ok. If it does start to taste a bit oxidized in the first few bottles (sherry flavor, a "flatter" tasting wine, like when you open a bottle of wine but don't drink it all and how it tastes the next day), drink them all fast because oxidation gets worse with time.

That is what I did first. Was the "splash racking" I did that like 4 times in a row and then I waited like a day or two then did the racking with the copper and filtering and stuff. I guess I went a little overboard.. Is there anything that I can add to it to help with the oxidation?? Like could I add K metabisulfite to it to bring the cO2 levels back up? or would that mess up the SO2 levels? Or better yet, what would you suggest I do Yooper? I haven't done anything to it since I did all of that filtering and stuff and I finished doing that like 2 days ago. I can tell you when I started the wine though if that helps you in any way because I always keep notes when I'm making wine. It was racked from the primary bucket into the carboy on the 16th of July. I neglected to take note of the exact day that I started the batch and the exact day I pitched the yeast for some reason, it must have slipped my mind. If you need it, I can scan the piece of paper (front and back) so that you can read my notes for your self, if that will help?

That is what I did first. Was the "splash racking" I did that like 4 times in a row and then I waited like a day or two then did the racking with the copper and filtering and stuff. I guess I went a little overboard.. Is there anything that I can add to it to help with the oxidation?? Like could I add K metabisulfite to it to bring the cO2 levels back up? or would that mess up the SO2 levels? Or better yet, what would you suggest I do Yooper? I haven't done anything to it since I did all of that filtering and stuff and I finished doing that like 2 days ago. I can tell you when I started the wine though if that helps you in any way because I always keep notes when I'm making wine. It was racked from the primary bucket into the carboy on the 16th of July. I neglected to take note of the exact day that I started the batch and the exact day I pitched the yeast for some reason, it must have slipped my mind. If you need it, I can scan the piece of paper (front and back) so that you can read my notes for your self, if that will help?

You can't "erase" oxidation, but you can stop it further by adding the k-meta now (S02) if you haven't added any since the splash racking and other aerating. 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons (dissolved in some of the wine, or in a little boiling water) of the powder, or 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon (again, crushed and dissolved first) added to the wine now can't hurt and might help.

You can't "erase" oxidation, but you can stop it further by adding the k-meta now (S02) if you haven't added any since the splash racking and other aerating. 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons (dissolved in some of the wine, or in a little boiling water) of the powder, or 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon (again, crushed and dissolved first) added to the wine now can't hurt and might help.

Okay, thank you so much for your help. I will add the k metabisulfite now. I have campden tablets so I will add 6 to a little bit of the wine and stir then add to the 6 gallons. Also, I went ahead and scanned my notes from this batch and would like to share them with you and everyone else.
m966hs.jpg
<~~FRONT OF PAGE

24wakgp.jpg
<~~BACK OF PAGE

Hope this helps as well. Sorry for the terrible handwriting, my handwriting has always been terrible lol. And I can't thank you enough for you help, I don't know what I would do without this site and you guys helping me out. Thanks Yooper!

Also, are you saying that I should boil water then add the campden tablets to the boiled water? Wont that kill the sulfites? Or is the aim to kill the sulfites leaving only SO2 left over in solution?

EDIT* I was just going to crush 6 campden tablets (K meta) and mix thoroughly with a cup or two of the wine in a separate container then add that to the bottom of an empty clean carboy then rack the rest of the contents of the other carboy on top.

EDIT** I just went ahead and crushed 6 tablets of K meta and thoroughly mixed with a cup or two of wine then added to the clean carboy then racked the rest on top and topped it up and bunged & airlocked it. Now, I just have my fingers crossed that I didn't screw up. I did, however, pull one bottle worth out and sweeten it and stick it into the fridge. With sugar added, it actually taste very good. I can't detect any off flavors or smells right now so I am hoping it will stay that way and that oxidation doesn't set in on it. But, I've done all I can do. Now, I can only wait. I will update in a week or so and let you know what's going on with it. At that time, I will probably be getting ready to add some K sorbate to stabilize it. Then I will probably wait a week or so and then sweeten it and bottle it.

you said you racked 4 times to aerate. You do not want to rack wine to add oxygen to it...After fermentation, oxygen is the enemy. I understand you have a rotten egg smell that you are trying to get rid of but it sounds like you had stressed yeast, maybe fermentation temps were too high??? You may be able to get rid of the smell with oxygen but you will likely oxidize your wine at the same time....good luck..

Hey guys! I have an update on this as I told you guys I would let you know how it turned out.

The wine is fantastic! I don't know how it happened but there isn't a thing in the world wrong with it that I can taste. I was able to get the smell/taste of sulfur out of it and was able to save it and just bottled it last weekend. I used K-meta and about 4 pounds of sugar added to water to stabilize and sweeten it. I'm not sure what I did that was right but as you guys may or may not know this is only my second "full size" batch ever and boy did it turn out good. I will try to remember to take a picture of it in glass held up to the light so you can see the beautiful color. It doesn't even have a bite or anything. Warm, it has a bit more of the alcohol taste to it but it isn't over powering by any means. Cold, the alcohol taste is gone and it just taste like sweet blueberry(or some sort of berry) juice. Either way Thank you guys so much for your help and suggestions and everything. I was super discouraged because of the loss of my first big batch(the pineapple) that I was sure that I was going to lose this one. I'm just happy that it turned out good in every way that I hoped it would. But wow, still have so much to learn. Thanks again everyone!

Keith

P.S. In addition to this, I found out that a home brew store opened not far from where I live. No longer will I have to wait a week or two to get something my wine needs today.. October was a good month :)

Hey guys! I have an update on this as I told you guys I would let you know how it turned out.

The wine is fantastic! I don't know how it happened but there isn't a thing in the world wrong with it that I can taste. I was able to get the smell/taste of sulfur out of it and was able to save it and just bottled it last weekend. I used K-meta and about 4 pounds of sugar added to water to stabilize and sweeten it. I'm not sure what I did that was right but as you guys may or may not know this is only my second "full size" batch ever and boy did it turn out good. I will try to remember to take a picture of it in glass held up to the light so you can see the beautiful color. It doesn't even have a bite or anything. Warm, it has a bit more of the alcohol taste to it but it isn't over powering by any means. Cold, the alcohol taste is gone and it just taste like sweet blueberry(or some sort of berry) juice. Either way Thank you guys so much for your help and suggestions and everything. I was super discouraged because of the loss of my first big batch(the pineapple) that I was sure that I was going to lose this one. I'm just happy that it turned out good in every way that I hoped it would. But wow, still have so much to learn. Thanks again everyone!

Keith

P.S. In addition to this, I found out that a home brew store opened not far from where I live. No longer will I have to wait a week or two to get something my wine needs today.. October was a good month :)

Um, this is probably not a good time to tell you, but k-meta doesn't stabilize wine. Hopefully, you actually meant potassium sorbate, otherwise your bottles will blow up.

Back