I am an idiot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, the SCOE meets somewhere else. This is the meeting for bored brewing idiots united.

But some of the SCOE members do show up from time to time. We accept them into our group, they can be idiots too. Come on, let's row this boat upstream...

WesleyS said:
Albert Einstein once said that if bees disappear, man would only last four more years. Do you think the "s" was supposed to be an "r"?
What if beer disappeared? I bet the BMC drinkers would be the first to resort to cannibalism. We, of course, would be fine, having an established pipeline and the skills to brew beer to quench our thirst. Brewing in the cover of night with only the slight glow of our propane burners twinkling in the still darkness, arming ourselves with mash paddles and glass carboys to defend ourselves and our brew. Our beer would not disappear and thus we would not perish. But I dare not think of those who had become accustomed to drinking fizzy yellow liquid out of containers that tell them when they're cold enough, allow them to scratch their name in the label and nicely vortex the beer into their mouth.

Just a little quote from a lot earlier in this thread to remind everybody of how idiotic this thread is. And also me.

WesleyS said:
If muddled turtle = delicious awesomeness
And starfish = vinegar rodents
And The meaning of life is 24.32 oz of homebrew.
And the stars at night are big and bright.
And fish don't fry in the kitchen and beans don't burn on the grill.
Then if my primary leaves Boston at 1:00 PM and my secondary leaves Amarillo at 3:00 PM.
When will my primary meet salted turtle and my secondary meet hairy pears?

WesleyS said:
No, the SCOE meets somewhere else. This is the meeting for bored brewing idiots united.

I thought you were a member of the Ale Sipping Society Honoring Olde Legendary Ethanol....

bottlebomber said:
I thought you were a member of the Ale Sipping Society Honoring Olde Legendary Ethanol....

I have many affiliations.

Just a little quote from a lot earlier in this thread to remind everybody of how idiotic this thread is. And also me.

Exactly, so let's just row upstream and look like idiots all together!! BBIU- Unite!!!!

I prefer to row upstream of the downstream direction on a south flowing eastern downstream river upstream.

I prefer to row upstream of the downstream direction on a south flowing eastern downstream river upstream.

Yes, I agree, because this way you get bubbles in the stream, makes for a prettier, and tastier, sight.

I've never made soup dumplings, and I've never made beer soup, so this would be rough for me. But damn it sounds good conceptually.

CreamyGoodness said:
I've never made soup dumplings, and I've never made beer soup, so this would be rough for me. But damn it sounds good conceptually.

Beer....Soup....Dumplings....It's a winning combination no matter how you look at it.

CreamyGoodness said:
Yes the Asian dumpling variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiaolongbao

You bite the tops off and slurp as delicious soup enters your face-hole. Instead of a traditional soup-dumpling, what if it were full of a cheesy beer soup made with IPA??

That might be the greatest idea ever conceived. When they are just about done steaming, turn the heat off and toss some hops in the water and let them "hop steam" for a bit.

Someone must do this. And post a video. Someone must do this and post a video.

Oh, and invite me over.

Someone must do this, post a video, and invite me over.

I have oft wanted to make dumplings. I guess just a fresh noodle recipe?

Might be hard to fill with soup, but some IPA cabbage pork chicken heart....(;)) dumplings might be fantastic.

Someone must do this. And post a video. Someone must do this and post a video.

Oh, and invite me over.

Someone must do this, post a video, and invite me over.

But must they first do it, then post a video and then invite you over, or could they just do it, post a video and invite you over???

Please clarify.

cheezydemon3 said:
I have oft wanted to make dumplings. I guess just a fresh noodle recipe?

Might be hard to fill with soup, but some IPA cabbage pork chicken heart....(;)) dumplings might be fantastic.

All you'll need is some liquid nitrogen and add your beer cheese soup in spoonfuls. Scoop them out, wrap your dumplings around the chunks of soup making sure to seal completely and then steam.
Or the slow version just freeze your soup till its hard enough to not ooze but still soft enough to spoon chunks out of it. Then fill your dumplings.

The recipes I just looked at just call for "1 package of round dumpling wrappers from an asian supermarket". Thats simple enough. I would think the beer soup, with a little pork or chicken for filling, would be LESS likely to leak as it is thicker than a typical soup dumpling soup. This could actually work!

You are right, its unclear. I would like to be there for the eating of the dumplings. Whether or not I am on camera is secondary.

My okra mead video has proven that I lack a certain flair for the camera.

All you'll need is some liquid nitrogen and add your beer cheese soup in spoonfuls. Scoop them out, wrap your dumplings around the chunks of soup making sure to seal completely and then steam.
Or the slow version just freeze your soup till its hard enough to not ooze but still soft enough to spoon chunks out of it. Them fill your dumplings.

The voice of reason!!!

Are the dumpling wrappers like wonton wrappers? For some reason I get the idea that they aren't what we want.

cheezydemon3 said:
The voice of reason!!!

Are the dumpling wrappers like wonton wrappers? For some reason I get the idea that they aren't what we want.

I think so. Atleast pretty close.

Meh, not really the same. Wonton wrappers are usable if that's all you can get, but they're really nothing like real dumpling wrappers.

And putting a little gelatin in the beer and refrigerating it will make it turn into jelly. You can wrap the wrappers around the jelly and steam them. It adds a little mouthfeel.

This is an awesome idea, but soup dumplings don't have just soup in them. Perhaps a little piece of brat or something to go with the IPA?

I might actually try this...

Beer brat!!! A little piece of brat in each bottle, what about that? Drink up then chew on it... I am invisible.

BobbiLynn said:
Beer brat!!! A little piece of brat in each bottle, what about that? Drink up then chew on it... I am invisible.

Hmmm......how about skip the bottle completely. I wonder if a bratwurst will hold carbonation.

Well, all this Chinese dumpling talk has inspired me to make egg rolls tonight with homemade wrappers instead of store bought.

WesleyS said:
Well, all this Chinese dumpling talk has inspired me to make egg rolls tonight with homemade wrappers instead of store bought.

How do you do that? I could probably make then on the pasta machine I bet..

bottlebomber said:
How do you do that? I could probably make then on the pasta machine I bet..

I used this recipe.
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumeggrolls/r/eggrollwraps.htm

I don't see why you couldn't use your pasta machine to roll it out. It sucks doing it with a rolling pin.
Here they are ready to fry.

image-2068812259.jpg

WesleyS said:
I used this recipe.
http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumeggrolls/r/eggrollwraps.htm

I don't see why you couldn't use your pasta machine to roll it out. It sucks doing it with a rolling pin.
My version of the recipe - chuck everything in the stand mixer and let the dough hook do the work. Drink beer for half an hour. Then run the dough through the pasta machine. It's a perfect match.

They look really good. I've never thought to make my own egg roll wrappers. I've been trying to make some that are smooth instead of blistered looking, but I think it might be more technique than ingredients.

bottlebomber said:
They look really good. I've never thought to make my own egg roll wrappers. I've been trying to make some that are smooth instead of blistered looking, but I think it might be more technique than ingredients.

The smooth ones are a different type of wrapper I believe. Those wrappers are paper thin. I've been meaning to look for those one day at a Chinese market, I just always forget.

In that case I will continue to quote myself.

WesleyS said:
So I bought a kit and decided to doctor it a little bit. I added ten pounds of cherries, two pounds of brown sugar, an orange, Hershey's syrup, three oxtails and a buffalo heart. I hadn't paid my water bill so I just used water out of the swimming pool and I'm pretty sure at one point one or more bodily fluids found their way into the cooling wort. I pitched some unlabeled yeast into the wort and after three and a half minutes I saw no activity so I threw in a gallon of milk, a bunch of bananas and more brown sugar. Last night was two weeks since brew day and the primary smelled like a barnyard and was slightly glowing green. Now this morning I woke up, the lid was off of the primary bucket, there were what looked like oddly shaped, wet footprints leading away from the bucket. There's a half eaten turkey on the floor, the money in my wallet is gone, and the car is missing. Is there any way I can save this batch? Should I transfer to secondary and add more stuff? I was hoping for a SNPA clone, so I don't want to give up on this batch. What did I do wrong? Am I an idiot?

Back