I already have a 44 qt ss kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erick0619

Reaction score
Is there any reason to need a 52 quart aluminum kettle as well ? I can get one for 45. oh also my next batch will be all grain just putting that out there

But don't those three vessel systems need two burners? I currently have one bayou burner, 44 quart bayou classic and a 52 quart MLT

But don't those three vessel systems need two burners? I currently have one bayou burner, 44 quart bayou classic and a 52 quart MLT

If you go pure BIAB you only use one kettle and one burner and don't have to transfer water/wort until after the boil.

Otherwise you need a source of hot water to sparge with, so 2 burners seems typical. I've only done pure BIAB for all grain, but there seem to be bunch of variations in how the sparge is done in traditional all-grain. Maybe with fly-sparging you can get by with one burner?

I've read into the BIAB method but I still ended up buying a cooler and the parts necessary for the MLT build im just trying to see if I should get it or not since this deal won't be around for long

I've read into the BIAB method but I still ended up buying a cooler and the parts necessary for the MLT build im just trying to see if I should get it or not since this deal won't be around for long

If it isn't a budget buster, buy it. It'll get used for something...

I place pots in the same category as guns or tools; there's no such thing as having too many.

I use one burner and two pots. While the mashing goes on, I am boiling my sparge water in a second pot. If the batch is a 1.045 beer or smaller, I use my pasta pot, and my 5 quart skillet on my stove to save propane.

If you go pure BIAB you only use one kettle and one burner and don't have to transfer water/wort until after the boil.

Otherwise you need a source of hot water to sparge with, so 2 burners seems typical. I've only done pure BIAB for all grain, but there seem to be bunch of variations in how the sparge is done in traditional all-grain. Maybe with fly-sparging you can get by with one burner?

You can get by with one burner if you add a second cooler as a HLT. Either fly or batch sparging works that way.

During the last part of the mash, you heat the sparge water in the kettle, and transfer to the HLT cooler. Then you can fly or batch sparge as you like. You can put an electric bucket heater in the HLT if you are planning a long fly sparge where the temperature would drop too much - you don't need much power to keep the HLT up to temperature. Oh, and most 5-6 gallon batches don't need more than 5 gallons of sparge water, so you can get away with a 5 gallon cooler.

You can also use the kettle as a HLT if you drain the MLT into a bucket rather than directly to the kettle.

Back