hypothetical "pure" SMaSH Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prohl84

Reaction score
I had an idea for a SMaSH Pale Ale using Maris Otter (12#) and a single 2 oz. Simcoe addition at 15 minutes before end of boil- appx. 37 IBU @ 13% AA.

I chose Simcoe because I think it is a great all around hop. Wondering if anybody has any experience with higher alpha varieties for aroma such as nugget/ warrior. With an AA% of 16.7 you could get around that same bitterness at 10 minutes- theoretically more flavor too.

Would I get gigantic hop flavors from this because all of the hops are added "late" or am I better off spreading that 2 oz. between 1 oz. bittering and 1 oz. dry hopping? I feel like it (1 addition) sounds like a clever idea but probably isn't- though it would be a "pure" SMaSH since there is only one of everything.

tinytowers said:
I don't know if you'd develop a clean and complex bitterness at 15 minutes.

I disagree, ive done quite a few all late-hop beers, and theyve turned out fantastic. I say go for it, it sounds too clever to pass up.

If you have the means to do so, split the batch up.
Do half a 60 min hop addition and a 15 min as well.
Do the other half the 15 min only.
That way when you get to drink them you can do the side by side comparison.
Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure it would turn out fine. I just did a Maris Otter/Simcoe SMaSH two weeks ago and it's killer. I think I spread 3oz for the whole batch including dry hopping.

I recently did a MO Warrior SMaSH all late addition (7g at 10, 5, flame out). Note it was a 1 gallon batch. It turned out nice. I was surprised as I usually only use Warrior for bittering.

I recently did a MO Warrior SMaSH all late addition (7g at 10, 5, flame out). Note it was a 1 gallon batch. It turned out nice. I was surprised as I usually only use Warrior for bittering.

Sweet, glad it turned out. That is exactly what I wanted to hear- looks like your brew is more than twice as hoppy as my SMaSH in a 6.5 gal batch which was my original batch size- that is damn near 5 oz. if my calculations are correct Warrior would have been my first choice- I'm using it for the first time this weekend in a RIS- but I know Simcoe is a sure bet. May try it with Warrior instead.

If you have the means to do so, split the batch up.
Do half a 60 min hop addition and a 15 min as well.
Do the other half the 15 min only.
That way when you get to drink them you can do the side by side comparison.
Just my 2 cents.

I like it. I'll need to scale back from 6.5 to 5 gallons since my HLT isn't big enough to do 3.25 but I will still use 1 oz./ batch so I will end up w/ around 47 IBUs. I was thinking of doing 2 full batches back to back but with how busy I have been lately they would likely be too far apart in age to get an accurate taste evaluation.

I have a few brews on deck and a couple that need bottling. But I am most definitely doing this. Thanks everyone for very useful feedback. I will post back or make a new thread in this forum when I can share the results!

in my experience an all late addition (even all flame out) beer is viable. i've been experimenting with 10 ibu at 60 min and a 30 minute hop stand with up to 3oz of hops and the beer has been turning out nicely bittered with very high hop flavor/aroma. it seems like the flavor and aroma last much longer in the keg, i have to make more batches to see if that is truly the case.

I made 2.5 gals of a session IPA with Amarillo @10/DH, Citra @5 and @0, and Simcoe @5/DH. I wanted to use a lot of hops, but didn't want a bitter bomb with a 1.043 SG.

Turned out great. All my friends love it.

I made minibeerkits as presents recently. They only had DME and hop pellets mixed in for a 15m boil, and then some more pellets for dry hop. The APA version was great and there was plenty of bitterness and flavour backbone from the single addition of Cluster, Chinook & Citra.

Back