Hygrometer, Thermo/Hygro rec..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
Damp basement.. I need an hygrometer of some sort to monitor humidity. Not super precise, but not a POS either. A lot of cheaply-made stuff out there.

Actually, a thermometer/hygrometer makes the most sense.

- Recommendations for a decent unit?

I have a cheap one. It's digital, and I have it in my cheese cave. It works great, and the batteries have lasted a long time. I'll check when I get home, and see what brand it is.

Tell me more about this cheese cave? Do you need special environment to make aged cheese? I'm looking to start this winter (yeah, I know, said it before), and I've been mildly interested in figuring out just where to store it.

I think I saw a hygrometer on Amazon the other day.

Amazon Hygrometers

Tell me more about this cheese cave? Do you need special environment to make aged cheese? I'm looking to start this winter (yeah, I know, said it before), and I've been mildly interested in figuring out just where to store it.

I think I saw a hygrometer on Amazon the other day.

Amazon Hygrometers

Well, you know me- overkill is my middle name. You can age cheese in a cooler with an ice block if you want to. Keeping it at 55 degrees and very humid is good. I have a wine cooler that I took the shelves out and made into my cheese cave. I made many different types of hard cheeses- havarti, gouda, chedder, farmer's, etc. I made feta several times, and tons of chevre (didn't I have chevre at my house when you came over?).

Then, I realized I still don't like cheese. I'm still making the chevre for Bob, but I'm reducing my goat's milk share because I just don't like it. I thought I would like cheese if I made it myself, like beer and wine. I don't. It's still too "cheesy" for me. :D

Well, I like most cheese, so I'm not worried about that. I don't think my basement gets that cold. No room in the kegerator for cheese... I just got a freezer that I plan on making into a ferm chamber of I can bend the coils without breaking them. Maybe I can store some in there when I'm not making beer... Yeah right! ;)

Check out a local cigar shop. They should have really accurate digital hygros for about $20.

That reminds me, I haven't checked my humidor in a while.

Back