Hydrometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cghinds

Reaction score
So I just started home brewing and after doing 2 brews I have yet to figure out how to use a hydrometer effectively. I just know what the hydrometer reads when I put it in the test vial. But what do the numbers mean. I'm using a true brew hydrometer it came with the home brew kit I bought. Is there a link that will educate me on this. I don't want to sound stupid I just figured that I should know everything there is to know about the equipment I use.

If you have the instructions that came with the hydrometer red those. Hydrometer's are calibrated differently, so what works for one may not work for another, for your temp adjustments, and whether or not to read from the top of the meniscus or not.

Ed

Nothing stupid about that... A hydrometer basically measures the amount of sugars present in your beer. When you initially brew your beer and get it into the primary, you'll want to take a hydrometer reading. This will give you a reading as to how much sugars are in your beer and will also give you an estimate as to how much alcohol you may have in the beer when it is finished.

You should also take a gravity reading when you're done fermenting. The gravity reading will acutally tell you when you're beer is finished. You can then take the OG and FG and calculate exactly how much alcohol is present in your beer. Although it is not 100% necessary for you to take hydro readings, it will allow you to know when to bottle and will also let you know what your ABV% is which is always a good thing.

HBT's own BobbyM has a video on youtube;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLN4uq_VqvE]YouTube - Using a Hydrometer[/ame]

Thanks again, to BobbyM for helping us all out by explaining the simple stuff.

Back