Hydrometer Test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
Hi All,

The first brew is fermenting. I think I added too much topoff water as my OG is low but oh well. Recipe states 1.046 - 1.05x, and Im at 1.034 with a correction for temp. :(

When I want to check the gravity again, is ok to remove the stopper and airlock todo so?

Thanks in advance!
-=gp125racer=-

I'm no expert, but if I were you I wouldn't worry about taking a gravity reading again. You could take the airlock off as long as you don't leave it uncovered for a long time. But in two weeks the brew will more than likely be finished and you'll know it. No krausen on top, beginning to look darker and clearer, and there won't be any bubbles in the airlock. Good luck!

Monk

P.S. IF you're worried about it not being finished, rack it to secondary and give it another 2 weeks. :) Patience is hard.

If you added water and did not mix it good it may be just that you sampled from the top and got 'watered down' beer. It will not matter to your beer and it will turn out fine.

Back