Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyg1977

Reaction score
I wanted to get opinions on taking hydro readings. I have two bucket ferms, a wine thief, hydrometer & tube to float the hydrometer. Seems the simplest way would be to sanitize a hydrometer & dunk it in the beer/wort. Wouldn't a thief or other object risk contamination equally?

I've been AG brewing for 8 years and I just sanitize the hydrometer and put it in the bucket to take my readings. Although if it breaks while you're doing it it will be a PITA.

It would work. The issue would be if the surface was foamy and you wouldn't get an accurate reading. Using the jar it allows you to manipulate the surface to see better.

I am nearing 3rd week in the fermenter, controlled to 56 deg F. It is a Coopers Pilsener and is looking promising, but I am getting a different reading in the jar compared to directly in the fermenter. This is due to bubbles forming when I use the jar, even after a gentle spin. The beer already tastes good so I don't believe there is excess gas. The difference is huge, like 1025 down to 1010, the latter being about right at this stage of the process.

I put spigots on my fermenter buckets. It's very easy to get hydro readings.

Sanitizing the spigot very well between batches and with a spray of StarSan when taking a sample is a good idea of course

I am nearing 3rd week in the fermenter, controlled to 56 deg F. It is a Coopers Pilsener and is looking promising, but I am getting a different reading in the jar compared to directly in the fermenter. This is due to bubbles forming when I use the jar, even after a gentle spin. The beer already tastes good so I don't believe there is excess gas. The difference is huge, like 1025 down to 1010, the latter being about right at this stage of the process.

Sounds like when you put the hydrometer & beer in the test tube/cylinder,you need to let it de-gass a little. Then give it a spin & read it. That's what I do. I also sanitize it with starsan before filling it with a sample from the FV's spigot. After every batch,I remove clean & sanitize the spigots. Re-installing them wet from the Starsan soak. And 1.010 sounds like it's there to me. Wait two ro three days & see if you get the same number.

Another thing to mention is to limit the amount of readings you do. I usually only take 2. The OG and the FG. I ferment for 3 weeks and take my FG. If it is within a point or 2 of predicted I feel it is done. No problems so far. I always make starters with liquid yeast and have never experience a stalled fermentation.

Sanitize your thief well take the sample, do not pour it back into the fermenter. Let the sample sit, and/or chill to get to your hydrometer's calibration point. (usually about 60 degrees) Then you should not have gas bubbles affecting the reading.

I pour OG samples back in,since the tube is sanitized,the wort unfermented so no co2,& the yeasties will take care of the rest. Never a problem. After two to three weeks I test it,wait two days,then test again. If the numbers match & it's nicely settled,to the bottling bucket it goes.

Seems the simplest way would be to sanitize a hydrometer & dunk it in the beer/wort. Wouldn't a thief or other object risk contamination equally?

Um... it's dabatible. A thief has exposure to the thief for a few seconds with the lid off whereas dunking a hydrometer requires putting the hydro in, leaving it in, and then fishing it out with the top off again, and the fussing turning and breathing down the fermenter to look at the reading. Proper sanitation procedure should equalize the risk but in my *impression* dunking the hydrometer just sames .... gangly... But in theory they're equal.

Thank you all, that puts my mind at rest. In a couple days it will be 3 weeks of fermenting so I will check again. Never thought of waiting for the sample to warm up/de-gas.

Forgot to take a OG reading Damn Guess I will never know abv now....:(

This is an extract brew, If you used all the ingredients and ended up with the correct volume your OG was within a point or to of what the kit was supposed to make. That is, if it was listed in the directions etc.

Back