hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

prey

Reaction score
Hi I recently made grape (wine?) with 4 gallons of welch's grape juice and red star champagne yeast. I tried to measure using a hydrometer but it doesn't even float right now... what am I doing wrong? Is the density too low to be measured?

prey said:
Hi I recently made grape (wine?) with 4 gallons of welch's grape juice and red star champagne yeast. I tried to measure using a hydrometer but it doesn't even float right now... what am I doing wrong? Is the density too low to be measured?

Well, you're either not using a big enough sample to measure with or your hydrometer is broken.

It floats in water, so I'm pretty sure it'll float in prison hooch.

I just bought my hydrometer so it shouldnt be broken... should I fill the test tube up all the way?

You need to get a hydrometer for distilled alcohol. Wine is less dense than beer due to the higher alcohol content and ingredients, beer is always more dense than water (unless you make malt jet fuel). There are different hydrometers for that... I learned this when I bought the wrong one and it wouldn't sink past about 1/2 inch... You probably just have a really potent wine that is below what your hydro can measure

wow thanks... this thing did not float at all so I guess the ABV was pretty high

say, hypothetically I freeze distill it, how high ABV do you guys think I can get it to?

prey said:
say, hypothetically I freeze distill it, how high ABV do you guys think I can get it to?

In theory if you freeze it in a pan and peel the ice off and discard you could eventually get it to Pure alcohol by freezing off the water.

Since you are obviously going for the ABV not the flavor, why not just distill some Potatoes into Vodka, or Sugar cane into Rum? It is ready much faster and only illegal if you get caught.

A Fake ID would also be cheaper and faster.

Thanks, I have no intention of doing that but I was just curious.
Yesterday I tried 3 small cups of that and I got pretty buzzed even though my alcohol tolerance is pretty high.

No seriously. I don't want to drink something that will knock me out in one cup.

prey said:
No seriously. I don't want to drink something that will knock me out in one cup.
How many cups do you think would be appropriate for a "knock-out" dose? Just curious. :confused:

I certainly hope this is all "hypothetical" questioning, because you should be of legal age to brew anything with alcohol. I believe you've indicted yourself previously Mr. prey, so I'm closing this thread. Besides, it is stupid anyway. You should have searched.

PM me if you have a problem with this.

LOCKED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back