hydrometer reading higher than expected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missing link

Reaction score
Just brewed a Northern brewer wheat kit, target OG was 1.049, I got 1.070,

I used 2 gallons of water when the kit called fro 1.5, would that cause the high OG reading?

What Jaded said and what was the sample temp? Also, is this your first reading, those things can be tricky.

missing link said:
I used 2 gallons of water when the kit called fro 1.5, would that cause the high OG reading?
That would cause a low OG reading, assuming the total volume of the brew was supposed to be 1.5 gallons.

However, I think all of the Northern Brewer kits are 5 gallon brews, so your post is a little confusing.

Did you top up to 5 gallons?

sorry, I'll give more detail.

The instructions called for 1.5 gallons in the brew kettle, I used 2 gallons. After boiling, I had about 2 gallons of cold water in my bucket, poured my cooled wort into the bucket and topped off with cold water to 5 gallons. Thermometer read 70 degrees. When I took my OG reading I got 1.070, the box said I should get 1.049.

missing link said:
Thermometer read 70 degrees. When I took my OG reading I got 1.070, the box said I should get 1.049.
Betcha didn't stir well enough and got a sample from the "thicker" part of the wort.

RDWHAHB - those kits are rarely off by more than a point or two, and the yeast will find all the sugar and ferment it for you.

If you used the correct amount of water and the correct amount of extract then you will get the correct OG.

If you are not getting the correct reading then your method is the problem.
You are either not reading the hydrometer correctly or the extract and water are not mixed correctly.

This is a normal occurrence and is a problem new brewers have all the time.

(Second today)

If this is not correct then you've found away to make an extra strong ale for a normal kit.
The College kids will love you. It'll save all that table sugar.

I guess the next time I will stir with a sterilized spoon a few times before taking a reading. It is percolating like crazy in the fermentor now.

Back