Hydrometer reading HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMKsuburbannoise

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of beer. I brewed a Dunkel.

The Hydrometer reading on the instructions says the OG should be 1.049 or so. My brew is at 1.52 or so. Is this a problem? If not, what should it be at at the end of fermenation?

also, I have room to maybe add 2 or 3 cups of water and still be safe. Will that help?

ALSO, can I leave it in there as it ferments?

I think you are miss-reading your hydrometer. You are probably reading 1.052, not 1.52. If it was 1.52 you would have the highest OG in the world! 1.052 is fine and will just mean a little higher ABV than what was estimated.

You'll be fine at 1.052. Your FG shouldn't change all that much... possibly a point higher than it would have been otherwise. But it's important to note that the instruction-given OG and FG are estimates, not hard-and-fast rules.

That having been said, yes, adding a touch more water (if you have the space) would drop your OG ever so slightly. But being off by .003 at the end of a brewing session is nothing to worry about.

yep. i believe i misread the hydrometer. the dunkel seems to be fine. can't wait to have some in about a month.

Back